Author Topic: How to find the leak?  (Read 8611 times)

KC Snellgrove

How to find the leak?
« on: January 12, 2014, 06:13:48 AM »

Hell-o fellow Beaver coach owners!! This is my first post regarding my 2005 Beaver Monterey we named Olivia - Jean who is a little (38 foot) beauty we love and adore.  It rained fairly hard and when we went to make the bed the step up portion on the drivers side was soaked as under the bed. The wall is dry. Anyone have a similar scenario or have any advice of how to go about finding a leak?  Thank-you. KC  :-/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:55:27 PM by 5 »

Doug Neal

Re: How to find the leak?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:52:52 AM »
I would check the silicone around any windows in the area. Another possibality could be some cracked clearence lights up top in the rear. Without knowing the floor plan of your coach these are only guess on my part. Just look for any defects no matter how small. Could also be where the trim covers the joint between the rear cap and main body of the coach.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:53:27 PM »
If it in in a slide, also check the slide seals, particulary the top seal. It can leak in there, run down the back of the inside wall and wet the carpet.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:20:55 AM »
I had exactly the same leak as you described.  Mine was caused from a quarter inch hole in the slide seal at the bottom corner of the slide.  It would soak the inside of the floor next to the bed.  First, check the gutter above the slide and clean all the leaves and dirt out of it.  I had Elite RV in Harrisburg Oregon patch the hole with a rubber sealer made for that purpose.

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:23:31 AM »
Thank you so much I sincerely appreciate all of your notes. As soon as it stops raining I am taking the tarp off and investigate your recommendations. Interestingly chuck the gutter below where I believe your are talking about with the quarter inch hole actually fills up with water and the other side does not.  Thank-you,

KC Snellgrove
2005 Beaver Monterey

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:23:02 PM »
We bought ours new and struggled with slide leaks during the entire warranty period.  The driver side bedroom slide was the most frequent leaker.  No matter which professional worked on it, there was a different theory and repair, including the now closed factory itself.

A couple years ago, with a soaked rug, I went out in a rain storm and watched.  The coach was level, but as luck would have it, a large portion of the water collected on the flat roof found a path to the area above the slide.  A stream of rain water flowed off the roof, over the edge and onto the top corner of the slide.  Surface tension took over and the flow was directed at the seal that appeared to be tight.  

My conclusion was that depending on levelness, rain intensity and wind, the slide seal would occasionally not be up to the task of keeping it dry inside and wet outside.  Consider it a design flaw.  Maybe the rubber is too hard, it was not installed correctly or the slide itself is not square.  Either way, it had not been dependable for our first few years of ownership.

In desperation,  I invented two fixes of my own.  I bought some rubber "RV Gutter" at Camping world and attached it to the roof in such a way that collected roof water would never again flow down the side near the slide out.  After all, Winnebagos, Fleetwoods and our two cheap trailers had gutters!  Why not this RV?

The second fix was to create a "dam" against the surface tension causing the water to flow directly against the seal.  I bought some nice, thin aluminium strips and glued them to the slide.  This may have not been necessary because the gutter prevented almost all of the water from getting there.

In three years, there have been no slide seal leaks!  I won!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:34:16 PM by 149 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »
Good post Bill, that sounds like a possible fix for all of us.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »
Quote from: Larry Fisk
Good post Bill, that sounds like a possible fix for all of us.
Thanks Larry!  I'll be at Quartzsite by noon (I think) if anyone going wants to see what I did or take pictures.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »
If someone takes pics, post them here for those of us unable to be in Q.
Thx! Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp