Author Topic: anyone removed their couch/sofa?  (Read 6569 times)

Richard Anderson

anyone removed their couch/sofa?
« on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:02 PM »
Anyone removed their couch/sofa?  I am thinking about doing this and replacing it with a tv cabinet.  I got down on the floor and looked under it with a flashlight but couldn't see much.  It is in a slide.  Has anyone done this and if so, were there any issues and is there anything under the couch like a slide motor or electrical conduit?  

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: anyone removed their couch/sofa?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »
Richard, I replaced the couch in our thunder for a hide a bed. It basicly comes out in three pieces, folding bottom/back and 2 end pieces. There is nothing to hard to do and nothing but 2 angle braces that are on the bottom floor of the slide.
Marty

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
We just had our sleeper couch recovered. It also came out in pieces.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:16:02 PM »
Marty,

Do you have a link to the hidabed that you used? I had our jackknife sofa reupholstered thinking that due to the configuration that a standard replacement was not possible. Was your Bose base module under the couch? Seems like there was some other obstacle under there also.

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:35:18 PM »
We tossed our sofa and replaced it with an Ekornes loveseat.  It also is on a slide.  No serious issues other than we needed to remove the Bose subwoofer which was under the sofa.  But since we had replaced the rest of the Bose system anyway, it wasn't an issue.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:15:00 AM »
Ed, Our sub-woofer is in the cabinet just aft of the couch. We purchased a hide-a-bed with an air matress from Countryside RV Interiors located in Junction City Or. I don't have the brand name handy but I do know it was made back east because we had to special order it to match colors. If you look in the Beaver upgrades section of this forum you should find my before and after pictures. We are really happy with the upgrade.
Marty

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:35:58 AM »
If the sofa is on the driver side slide, there is a large aluminum triangular gusset (~9-12" on a side) from the wall to the floor. If my memory serves me, it's about at the midpoint of the sofa.
Most jackknifes will come out if you open them. No need to dis-assemble.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Oliver

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
Richard:

If yours is the same as mine...
Lift the jacknife sofa so that you can see in from the front.
There are 4 bolts at the ends, those go down into the slide floor to hold it all in place.  Once those are removed, the whole thing is loose.  You might get it through the door laid flat, but it will want to fight the passenget chair for space.  (it may be easier to remove the passenger chair than to dismantle the couch)

The slide floor is held up by the slide end at its front, the cabinets at the back and two aluminum gussets trisecting the couch space.  Those can't be removed and will need to become part of your tv cabinet or other plans.  The floor isn't deep enough, IMHO, for a free standing chair to sit comfortably on it, and is too deep for such a chair to sit on the floor inboard of it,  I don't know what else you were planning for the space, but without the couch, you will likely be down one, two or even three seating positions.
Again, these remarks only apply if yours is similar to mine.

Richard Anderson

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:46:58 PM »
What I am thinking is to remove the dining table and put the sofa there.  Then build a cabinet for the tv similar to what Winnebago does on some of their models.  The first picture is of my Beaver so you can see the floorplan.  The second picture is of a Winnebago with a TV cabinet/dining table in the same spot.