Author Topic: Bringing Out of Winter Storage  (Read 4996 times)

Gary Winzenburger

Bringing Out of Winter Storage
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:47:32 PM »
I'm getting a good case of cabin fever stuck here in midwest, sub-freezing temps and looking forward to getting our 1997 Marquis ready for Spring camping. Being this is the first year of ownership, I would like any input about checking things on the coach before getting it out on the road. All the obvious things will be professionally done, such as changing all the motor and transmission fluids, filters, checking tire pressures, antifreeze, batteries, etc, It's been covered for app. 3 months. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and pray for warming temperatures!
Gary
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:53:05 PM by 5 »

Edward Buker

Re: Bringing Out of Winter Storage
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »
The most common problem areas are tires and batteries. Belts possibly next. Check the age of the tires and if over 6 years old consider getting a new set. Batteries as they age loose capacity and have a higher tendency to end up with a shorted cell. If they are not too old, crank well for the chassis side, and the house batteries seem to hold a charge and do not use excessive water or have a cell that tends to deplete more water then they should be good. Three years on chassis batteries and 5 years on house batteries and you are certainly in the grey zone. Universal joint checks, front end wheel bearing play, and brakes would be next on my list. When you say fluids do not forget the front wheel bearings hubs if they are the wet kind. Air leak down test would be wise after you have driven a bit.  There is always the general roof sealant maintenance where things are mounted as well as sealing the front and rear clearance lights.

The prior maintenance records for this coach, if you have them, may give you some good insight into unique areas that have been problems for your coach.

Later Ed

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 12:52:02 AM »
Don't forget water and sewage systems.  The best way to check this is to put some water in the tank and run the pump.  Sit and listen for the pump to run.  If it does, there is a leak somewhere.  Also if you stowed your water hoses with a bit of water in them could have burst.  Don't want to pull in somewhere with no hoses.

Dennis

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 02:33:58 PM »
I average 4-6,ooo miles a year in use, but do most of my Service once a year January, I will service the Oil/Lube/Filters Oil.
Don't forget the drinking water filters and Frig. I also service the Aqua Hot in January but check the fluid often while we travel. I check APU Check fluids and operation of inverter while running the APU before we start our season,  I only do oil and filter on the APU every other year. I also check my batteries monthly fluid and connections.

I also check the engine coolant Level ( I use Red) so we don't need to use additives.  The most important thing to to do is have some fun.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »
Thanks to all for your input! My list is growing, but that's okay - I'll sleep better. We're in for another cold snap this week, so nothing will be done anytime soon. This time next year (retirement), we will not be here!
 Anything else I need to do, the list is still open.

Gary
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:42:36 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »