Author Topic: Where to add ATF to levelers  (Read 6286 times)

Gary Wolfer

Where to add ATF to levelers
« on: January 27, 2014, 11:51:08 PM »
Where do you add ATF to levelers in a 1998 Patriot Monticello. I looked for a tank but the only one I see is a round long tank that is standing on end just in front of the Service bay and in behind the bay wall. There must be a better way. My fluid must be low because last time I drove it it beeped and the red light came on when I went around corners. I really need to add some if someone knows for sure. Also my plastic tank on the radiator is low so I need to add coolant(I have a 300 CAT) is there a special mix of antifreeze or water I should use and do I need to add DCA4 corrosion inhibitor like in a Cummins?

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
Re: Where to add ATF to levelers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
Hi Gary, On my 2000 Beaver Contessa, there ia an access panel on the back wall of my Battery compartment which is just forward of my rear service bay.  Antifreeze comes premixed 50/50.  Hope this helps.
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B
2019 F150 following close behind

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:56:23 PM »
Gary
We had a 98 Monticello until last summer.  Does yours have the RVA jacks with the bong alarm for when the fluid is low?  That will make this easy.  Also I used a small oiling can with a trigger pump and a flexable spout so I could get it in the small opening.
The fill tube is just to the right of the battery compartment.  The skirting comes off with just two small screws on each pannel.  there is a small pannel just to the rear of the back passanger tire well.  If you pull the screws the pannel will rotate up and can be held up with blue tape or similar.  There should be a resivoir with a long neck and a plastic 1inch hex shaped cap.
Make sure all slides and jacks are fully retracted and turn on the ign. and power to the jacks.  Lower just one jack about 6 inches.  Using the oil can, fill the resivoir 'slowly' until the alarm stops and replace the cap. Lower the pannel and replace the screws and you are ready to cycle the jacks.
This is the best I can remember but it was only needed once and that was six years ago.  Still hadnt had a problem when we traded it in.
Keith Moffett
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
Ditto with Keith just be sure the area around the breather cap is clean before removing it to fill. We had to add because of the hydraulic cylinder that operated the slide had a bad seal (it is rebuildable). Any of the higher numbers of the Dexron ATF Fluids will work.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:08:14 PM »
Gary,
The coolant for your coach will vary depending upon what you are using now. If the coolant is green, it is standard (ethylene glycol) HD diesel coolant that contains SCA (supplemental coolant additive). If the coolant is reddish in color, it is extended life coolant that meets the Cat ELC requirement. These coolants are all for HD diesel engines and NOT standard automotive coolant.

Gerald  

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
I think I get it Keith
just behind the wheel well there is a narrow door that has screws in the bottom. It lifts up after the screws come out and lifts just like a compartment door but you have to hold it up or tape it. It is on the outside of the coach. Under the panel is the rear leveler and it is welded to a metal box. I have not taken the panel off yet but the tank must be inside the metal inclosure behind the leveler right? I can see the leveler and a square metal box from inside the battery  compartment.  Gerald I see no antifreeze in the plastic overflow container I cannot feel dampness when I take the cap off and stick my finger down in it so I guess I will have to find a petcock below the radiator and drain some antifreeze off to see what color it is. I could fill it with water but may need to be antifreeze instead of water. And do you add DCA in a cat to keep from getting cavitation in the cylinder walls like on a cummins? Brian are you talking about filling the levelers? is your fill on the left side behind a panel in the battery compartment left side behind the service bay cause I see a large tank standing on end on that side?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 01:07:16 AM »
Gary,
You can warm up the engine to operating temperature and you will probably see coolant in the surge tank. If not just add a little water (preferably distilled) until you see circulation, then top it off with full-strength coolant of the proper type.

Yes, Cat coolant needs SCA (what your calling DCA) maintained to the proper level if you are running ethylene glycol (green) coolant. However, this is not true if you are running Cat ELC (extended life coolant) (reddish) coolant.

Gerald  

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 01:44:35 AM »
Gary, Yes I am talking about filling the levelers.  My tank is behind the back wall of the batterry compartment.  
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B
2019 F150 following close behind

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »
Gary
Just a side question for you.  Is the shower unit in yours the tub or corner shower unit.  Ours was the larger 1/4 round corner shower only with one sliding glass door and the other side fixed in place.  It was supplied by Holcam glass in Seattle.
The rason for the question is that ours exploded about aweek after we bought the coach and was not replaceable.  We used a shower curtain.  I wanted to let you know because if this is like yours the problem was common and I would hate for it to happen to you.

Best
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!