Author Topic: California Hwy 62 from I10 to Parker, Az Condition  (Read 9422 times)

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
California Hwy 62 from I10 to Parker, Az Condition
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:55:26 AM »
Has anyone driven this California highway 62 from I10 to Twentynine Palms to Vidal Junction to Parker, AZ in a large motorhome in late February?

If so, is the road condition reasonable, and what is it like?  Can we cross the Colorado River at Parker?

We routinely take unique  trips yet don't want to do something really stupid. We have driven from the Los Angeles area to Lake Havasu City many times from the Los Angeles area on I10 and on I40  but this road between the two interstate roads looks interesting.  Any height clearance issues?

Your opinions will help us plan our route this year. You are welcome to reply or call at (408) 515-5957.

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz

Bill Sprague

Re: California Hwy 62 from I10 to Parker, Az Condition
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »
I drove the first part of it a few years ago and don't recall any issues.  Google Earth photos look fine.   There are very few corners!

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 04:10:05 PM »
I drove from Needles to Parker and Quartzsite last year and it is no problem.  You cross the Colorado at Parker.  I have also traveled from Parker to Lake Havasu City with no problems.  

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
The bridge crossing the Colorado River into Parker from California is under repair making it a bit narrow, but I saw other RVs crossing.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:00:21 AM »
I crossed  that bridge 2 years ago.  It was a construction zone then,with narrow lanes, but no difficulty.

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:20:54 AM »
I travel part of this route fairly often and will be heading that way this weekend to Havasu. I usually go to Desert Center (hwy 177) when not towing.

In a motor home, I would recommend going up to the CA/AZ border and go through Ehrenberg if you have never done that. It's flat, straight and all farm land.

Through Yucca Valley/Twentynine Palms There is a pretty good grade to climb from the I10 up to Yucca Valley some stop lights but not much going on. No clearance issue that I can recall.

If you do go through Ehrenberg, there is a War Relocation Center (in Poston) where 17,867 persons of Japanese ancestry, the majority of whom were United States citizens were interned during World War II from May 1942 to November 1945.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Randy Perry

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
I would take the I-10 to Desert Center then the 177/62 to the bridge. It's about 84 miles from I-10 to the right turn over the bridge on a two lane road that's not bad. If you have no business in Yucca Valley or 29 Palms, I wouldn't go that route. Looks like in the 80's for the next 10 days!! (I've seen snow in Feb)  

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 04:49:34 AM »
Thanks so much to all of you who have responded.  I liked your many ideas and will definitely try all or part of that route here in a couple of weeks.

Having been the more classical routes before (I 10 & I 40 then the Arizona side), I definitely want to do all or part of the California Hwy 62 even if there are no services and it is boring.  The climb into Twenty Nine Palms seem easier than many others that we have encountered so that would not be a problem.

I did chance across a website that had dozens of photos of that route with some commentary on each photo so I have a pretty good idea of the road and expectations.  

We have always been up to non Interstate challenges and will give it a try.

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz