Author Topic: Tires and Trust  (Read 6273 times)

Dennis Crawford

Tires and Trust
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:45:51 AM »
To all,
My trust in my fellow man has gotten me in trouble again.  I am not sure why I don't learn.  In May of 2012, I purchased 6 new tires for my 2005 Monterey through the FMCA/Michelin program.  I had reason to check the manufacturing date yesterday and to my surprise the tires were made in 2009.  Three years old before I put one mile on them.  I call Michelin today and was assured the five year warranty starts when the tires were purchased.  I tried to explain my concern about the time limit.  Michelin's position is the tires are good for 10 years.  We will see.

Just a word of advice.  Check those dates before you buy.

Dennis

Bill Sprague

Re: Tires and Trust
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:15:18 PM »
Dennis,

There are lots of theories about RV tires on the various forums.  What Michelin, GoodYear and other manufacturers really know is kept inside the engineering department and filtered by their marketing and legal teams.  It is the American way!

One theory that I like to believe is the one I read about is how tires are wrapped when they are made.  The wrapping decreases aging dramatically.  So, even though the tires may have been a couple years old when you bought them, the actual aging process didn't start until they were unwrapped and mounted.  

Another theory I like to believe is the one that I read that says the aging process is controlled, or at least reduced, by special compounds in the tire.  RV tires have more of those compounds than truck tires.  They work best if the tires are used regularly making them get warm and flex.  So, I try hard to drive our rig at highway speed at least once a month.  

In the time I've been RVing I've not personally met anyone that has had a tire failure due to age alone.  In the few cases where I have met someone with a real failure of their own, there was more to the story that included overloading, improper inflation or long term lack of use.  

My personal practice is that every 7 years BJ and I buck up and get new tires.  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
Bill,
The wrapping theory may have a basis, except the US manufacturers do not wrap truck tires. Another flaw in the theories that you mentioned is the anti-aging compound in RV tires. Most of the tires that are used on diesel pushers are truck tires and not tires that were designed for RV use only, although there are a few that are designed for RV use like the Michelin XRV.

The practice of replacing the tires every seven years is one that I can support, because I believe in the same time line.

Gerald  

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »
Bill,

I have worked with one of the lead Michelin reliability engineers due to several inner dual blowouts that I had well within the useful life of an XRV model tire that was kept up with proper inflation. The fact is inner dual position tires have more failures then any other tire position and Michelin has not fully figured out that one yet.

His input to me was that the XZA2 Energy tire has one of the lowest failure rate of any tire that they make. It is a good choice. That 7 years is a real expectation from the date of manufacture given that the tires sidewall strength reduces with age (not miles so much)  due to material degrade and it is predictable. Driving and getting the tires hot does help migrate the compounds that help protect the tire. The tire ageing starts from the date of manufacture and he indicated that there is no control in the field of storage environments. Temperature, humidity, ozone levels (which is a major aging factor) are up to Les Schwab and the rest to control and there is little to no controls in the field. Michelin sold off or farmed out its warehouse facilities several years back and he for one was not a fan of that. If there is welding for instance going on near tire storage that is a real issue as it generates ozone. I asked about side wall dressings and he said he would not use one, just soap and water. I asked about covering tires to reduce sunlight and he said that is not a big factor in aging within the 7 year useful life with the newer compounds but it does not hurt anything.

The net of all this is buy the best tire you can to handle the load, buy the newest dates, keep them inflated, drive them to highway speed at least once every month or two, stick to the 7 year expected life for replacement, make sure no welding is being done as a routine in the facility where you store your RV. If you find you have to add air to one tire position more than others, something is wrong and you need to get that fixed. If you add air, demoisturized air is better, you do not want the inside of a tire with steel wires in the sidewall saturated with moisture. The high pressure inside the tire causes slow air and moisture migration out through the sidewall. Under certain conditions the moisture can condense on the steel and cause rust which will roughen/pit the steel and can cause the sidewall cable to saw itself. This is a condition that is an issue only if a vehicle sits a lot like an RV.

That is about all that we as owners can do in defense of not having a tire failure.

Later Ed

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 02:28:25 AM »
Today I purchased some Toyos for the back of my coach.  They DOT date was almost a year old and the dealer had just recieved them from Toyo. My life long friend owns this multi location dealership so I trust him.  
The tires that were removed had NO indications of dry rot or cracking and I was told they would be good for a couple of years.

I paid about $1700 for the tires and I think it was worth that just for the peace of mind.

I personally do not believe the Michelins are worth double the price.  JMHO

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 05:42:24 AM »
I have 6 Toyos with about 3K miles on them.  Performing well so far.  

Lloyd Hall

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:01:35 AM »
I have put Toyo tires on my coach and have not had any problems. The coach came with Toyo
tires when I bought it new in 1997 in Bend, Oregon and I never changed to another brand. I change them out ( replace ) after 7 to 8 years. I always have a lot of tread left on the tires when I replace them. The coach has 148000 miles on it and it runs better now then when I bought it. I think one of the reasons is I had it lazer aligned at BCS after I bought it. I have had very good service from all my Toyo tires. Just my "two cents"

Lloyd Hall

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:32:09 AM »
6 new Toyos and going on 3 years now with no issues......would I buy them again...heck ya!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 03:32:08 AM »
First trip with all Toyos, great ride and handling, good move and saved money!

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 03:51:39 AM »
I also have owned Toyos. They road stiffer than my current Michelin tires but they gave me good service on my 89 Contessa. They did not seem to match the needs of my 2002 Marquis given its weight.

Later Ed