Author Topic: Dpf regeneration  (Read 4100 times)

Dan Murphy

Dpf regeneration
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:08:17 AM »
I am a little confused about the warnings lights on the display. Am I supposed to see the regen light come on every now and then or if so how often?
OR
Does the light only come on when I may be headed for a problem? I ask because we have seen the light and checked the manual and we thought the manual said no problem if you see this light but big problem if the check engine light is also on.i saw the light flash on once today for a very short time but it did not stay on.
A lot of people I talk to about this C9 engine tell me I will have a turbo problem caused by this DPF thing not operating properly so
I guess I am paranoid about it now. The engine sounds and feels
 just dandy and running like a charm but the more I read and research the more paranoid I get. It is a shame to drive a coach this nice down the road and dread what may be coming next.
Thanks for any insight.
Dan

Gerald Farris

Re: Dpf regeneration
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
Dan,
The regen light is just telling you that the regeneration process is underway. The regeneration process is how the DPF (diesel particulate filter) is cleaned (burned out). The frequency of the regeneration process will vary with driving styles and conditions, so don't worry about it. It is a process that is completely controlled by the ECM (engine control module), and therefore there is nothing for you to do but drive.

Gerald

Dan Murphy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »
Thanks Gerald! Is there any pattern to when the regen light will be displayed? Do you know how often and under what conditions I should see this light come on.
Dan

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Dan,
As I said above, the regeneration cycle will vary depending on conditions. There is no set pattern. The ECM (engine control module) will run the regeneration cycle when all of the conditions in its programing are meet, and only when it senses a restriction in the DPF. There are sensors in the muffler that send a signal to the ECM to indicate how much restriction is in the DPF, and the ECM will then start regeneration at the next time that all of the other requirements are meet, like speed, throttle position, and temperature.

Gerald      

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »
Dan,

I recently had the "check engine" light come on intermittently while on the highway. I pulled over, checked all fluids, and discovered....with the great help of this forum....that it was caused by a low coolant level. I added some distilled water....about a quart, and it has not recurred.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

John Schenk

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:42:26 PM »
Dan

I also own a 2009 Contessa with the same engine. I had my initial problems with the regeneration process and have found the following.
There are 2 lights on the dash the one on the left tells you it is in the regeneration mode and will come on if you are in park or first gear and it is telling you to leave the engine running till the process is complete and the light goes out. The one on the right tells you that the regeneration is not working and needs to be serviced. I have had this light come on and still drove it 800 miles before I could get it serviced. I have now put over 10,000 miles on the engine with no problems. On a bright note  CAT has been very good in fixing my problems .

John Schenk
2009 Contessa

Dan Murphy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
John
Thanks I think I need to get into a Cat garage and have my engine serviced. I read there is a valve adjustment due at 30000 and we are just over that now and the cruise control is acting up. I will tell them about the regen lite also.