Author Topic: I have another problem (lack of Docking Lights)  (Read 5340 times)

Gary Wolfer

I have another problem (lack of Docking Lights)
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:49:30 AM »
I have a 98 Patriot and I had a 94 Safari before. The Safari had Docking lights near the top in the middle of the coach on both sides. I know Beaver Sales in Bend has docking light tubs in stock but has anyone here ever installed them? I could get by with one on the passenger side. I like to let my dog out in the middle of the night and I would like to keep an eye on him.

Michael Marcocchio

Re: I have another problem (lack of Docking Lights)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:04:55 AM »
Hello I bought 4 docking light on eBay and installed them myself. They were marine type Stainless Steel sure light up the outside.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »
Gary,
If you want to install docking lights, install them in the side of the coach, below the interior floor. This is much easier than installing them high on the wall, because the access is so much easier.

Gerald

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 01:41:12 AM »
Do you think they would light up as well so low? at least I wouldn't have to worry about leaks I guess. Michael do you have any photos of your installation? Thanks

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 02:52:34 AM »
Gary, I installed two up high like your Safari had. In fact, I used Safari lights at the time (They were square vs Beaver sort of oval).

Gerald (as always) has a good point about ease of installation.  Many non-Beaver coaches I have seen have the lights below the floor area and mounted so they shine horizontally instead of down like you have when mounting them up high.

Two things to consider. 1. Where are you going to mount the switch?  This can influence whether you mount them high or low. In my case (98 Patriot Ticonderoga 37') both of the docking lights went into areas where there was a closet or space. The light is deeper than the side wall so be careful here.  2. Second thing to consider is that if you go through the side wall like I did, you need to be sure you are not going to intercept a aluminum tube inside that wall. It is easy to do.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 03:56:20 AM »
Ours are in the panel between the rear wheel wells and the bay in front of it.  Since that area is relatively unoccupied in the back of the panel as far as I know, and easy to access, it may be a good place to consider for your enterprise.  Aimed properly upon installation, they should illuminate a large area on either side of the coach.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 04:25:56 AM »
Hello I mounted all four of my light 2 per side low they give off great lighting lites up the whole area beside the couch both sides. I mounted my switch in the dash in a spare hole that was there and used the same square switch like the other there.Yes i have pictures and will send them to you when I find them .

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:09 PM »
Gary,
My 2000 Marquis came with docking lights as factory equipment. It has 5 docking lights. There are four mounted low, below the interior floor, and Just in front of each wheel location. The fifth one is mounted high on the kitchen slide, just in front of the sewer bay to light up that area.

Gerald    

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:35:50 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I think I will take the advice of putting them down low as if I did get a leak it would be below the floor. There is a small panel about a foot wide ahead of the front axle and one just in front of the battery box. Both panels come off and could be easily be drilled with a hole saw There is nothing behind them except the back one is access to the rear hwh leveler. Lots of room behind them and I can take them off and on easily.I could even run LED Spot lights because one has access to the battery bay.