Author Topic: Expert Eastern USA Travel Coaching Needed  (Read 12748 times)

Bill Sprague

Expert Eastern USA Travel Coaching Needed
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »
We are going to the Discover DC and Colonial Heritage rallies.   There is about a week in between.  

We have been at the wonderful Misty Mountain Camp Resort near Charlottesville and have been exploring how the USA got started.  Standing in the room where James Madison spent three years reading about self government before he wrote drafts of the Constitution was unique!  Trying to understand the nature of life in a world full of Kings and Queens when Jefferson wrote the Declaration was equally unique.  Both had nice houses!

Being from the left coast, we are looking for the "perfect spot" to spend the week between those two rallies.  After Colonial Heritage we will be navigating back to Region 1 in the PNW based on weather opportunities.  What location is not to be missed while we are in the right hand coast neighborhood?

Maybe there are other BAC members that might join us.  Perhaps we can "Round Up" some Beavers.  

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:58:58 PM by 5 »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Expert Eastern USA Travel Coaching Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »
Bill if you have not been to Williamsburg I would say it's a must do
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
Jerry,

That's where the Colonial Heritage rally is.  We will be there.

neil omalley

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »
Gettysburg? Luray Caverns in Luray,VA. Whatever you do don't come to CT. From DC (Maryland) to CT. $225 in TOLLS! If you go early to Cheery Hill campground, be sure to visit the Aviation museum ( not the one on the Mall but the newer one in MD.

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »
Smoky Mountain NP/ Cades Cove, Skyline Drive, Kitty Hawk/Outer Banks, Biltmore Estate in Ashville NC, are all possibilities depending on interest level and how far you want to travel.

later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
We are going to the Discover DC and Colonial Heritage rallies.   There is about a week in between.  

We have been at the wonderful Misty Mountain Camp Resort near Charlottesville and have been exploring how the USA got started.  Standing in the room where James Madison spent three years reading about self government before he wrote drafts of the Constitution was unique!  Trying to understand the nature of life in a world full of Kings and Queens when Jefferson wrote the Declaration was equally unique.  Both had nice houses!

Being from the left coast, we are looking for the "perfect spot" to spend the week between those two rallies.  After Colonial Heritage we will be navigating back to Region 1 in the PNW based on weather opportunities.  What location is not to be missed while we are in the right hand coast neighborhood?

Maybe there are other BAC members that might join us.  Perhaps we can "Round Up" some Beavers.  

Thanks!

I guess I'm a little late but my suggestion is Colonial Williamsburg also.  Great for American Heritage.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »
If you haven't been Gettysburg is a must.  If you go that way call me.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 02:30:40 AM »
If a Civil War buff or like history, you sure want to take in Appomattox also.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 01:43:12 PM »
Quote from: Roy Warren Co-Admin
If a Civil War buff or like history, you sure want to take in Appomattox also.
Roy Warren
Thanks Roy.  We went there yesterday.  

It is overwhelming for me as the fourth generation in a Pacific Northwest Family to grasp the issues involved in the Civil War.  I had forgotten (or never learned!) that nearly 3/4 of a million Americans died in the Civil War.    

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Smoky Mountain NP/ Cades Cove, Skyline Drive, Kitty Hawk/Outer Banks, Biltmore Estate in Ashville NC, are all possibilities depending on interest level and how far you want to travel.

later Ed
Ed,

Thank you!

We've been in a little town called Greenwood which is between Charlottesville and Waynesboro.  Before this, we were in Dillard at a rally.  So we've found the Biltmore Estate.  We also found Cataloochee in the east end of Smokey Mountain NP since we had been to Cades Cove a few years ago.  We were on Skyline Drive earlier this week.  The trees had not leafed out yet so the views were spectacular.  Unfortunately, we might not get to the Outer Banks.  

Bill

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
Quote from: neil omalley
Gettysburg? Luray Caverns in Luray,VA. Whatever you do don't come to CT. From DC (Maryland) to CT. $225 in TOLLS! If you go early to Cheery Hill campground, be sure to visit the Aviation museum ( not the one on the Mall but the newer one in MD.

I think it is going to be Gettysburg.  Sorry about the tolls.

John Fearnow

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 04:43:27 PM »
Bill,

If you are going to Gettysburg consider also visiting Antietam, Md and Harpers Ferry,WV.  In my personal experience Antietam is the CW battlefield that is maintained most nearly in the same condition as at the time of the battle.  Harpers Ferry is unique for its geographic setting at the meeting of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers as well as it's history.  John Brown and Stonewall Jackson both attacked it.  Stonewall was somewhat more successful.

John Fearnow

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »
While Gettsburg is very good it is somewhat out of the way.
Might I suggest that you stop at Fredericksburg, VA. It's about half way between Williamsburg and DC. Things to do there: Fredericksburg Battlefield, Fredericksburg National Cemetery & Confederate Cemetery, Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park, Mary Washington House, Kenmore Plantation and Gardens, Chatham Manor, Old town Walking Tour, Hugh Mercer's Apothecary's Shop, The Rising Sun Tavern, Gari Melchers Home and Studio in Belmont, James Monroe Museum and Library, George Washington Masonic Museum, Grave of Stonewall Jackson's Arm.
See http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60824-Activities-Fredericksburg_Virginia.html
There is a KOA in Fredericksburg and 10 miles away there is the Lady Ann State Park near Spotsylvania.

We love lots of places but VA is absolutely beautiful and full of fun things to do. Have fun where ever you go.
Hugs, Connie B. 8)

BJ Sprague

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »
Thanks for all the great ideas, Beaver friends!  My first college major was history.  It's always been a fascination.  Bill and I have worked the history into our travels throughout the U.S., but the east coast has such a wealth of exploring opportunities that making choices has been challenging.  We have managed to explore a new area each day, with the Beaver as our "magic carpet."  After DC we'll move to Gettysburg as a base camp, always ready to drive an hour or so for more exploring.  Please continue with your great ideas.  I've made a list, circled points on the map, and programmed the GPS!

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 01:59:04 AM »
Bill and BJ,
Fort McHenry is a must if you have not been there.  You must see the film in the visitor's center.  Don't miss this stop.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13