Author Topic: Antifreeze leak (hurricane)  (Read 4061 times)

Keith Cooper

Antifreeze leak (hurricane)
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
We identified an antifreeze leak which appeared to be near the point where the engine and transmission meet, while the coach was in for service to correct a different problem. When the bedroom engine access panel was opened the tech found the source of the leak. An accumulation cylinder/tank which should have been secured to the inner side wall of the access panel, had  broken loose and was lying  across the turbo. Over time, road vibration and heat had worn a hole in the accumulation cylinder creating a leak. My problem is there doesn’t seem to be a part number or name on the accumulation cylinder/tank. The metal cylinder is approximately 20 inches long and 3 to 4 inches in diameter. It has 4 hose connection points for ½ inch heater hose. One of the connection points goes to the winter/summer valve. In looking at the Hurricane documentation I have not found a reference to this cylinder/tank so I assume this was added by Beaver. Can anyone identify the correct name or part numbers for this cylinder/tank?

Grant Ralston

Re: Antifreeze leak (hurricane)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
Keith,
My 1998 Contessa Hurricane system has two tanks in the engine compartment, the expansion tank and heat exchange tank.  The expansion tank has a radiator pressure cap mounted to its top.  The tank you describe seems to be very similar to my second tank, the heat exchanger between the engine cooling system and the Hurricane system.  I don't know how these tanks are constructed, a hole in the exterior of the tank could be leaking engine coolant or hurricane antifreeze.

Sorry, my tank does not have any identifying numbers.  After cleaning up the area, I was able to remount the heat exchanger back on the wall with thru the wall bolts.  If the damage to your tank is a small hole, you may want to consider a repair by a welding shop.  Disconnecting the 4 hoses will drain some of both engine and hurricane fluid.

Grant

Keith Cooper

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »
Grant, thank you for the reply, the damage is more extensive than a single point. So, before trying to have the existing heat exchanger tank welded, I am going to try to locate a replacement tank. Just waiting for Beaver Coach Sales to open this morning

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »
Keith,
A good radiator shop should be able to repair your leak. However, if you want to replace the part, Jim Rixen at Rixen's Enterprises will know the replace part that is needed, because he sold it to Beaver.  

Gerald

Keith Cooper

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
thanks for the suggestion Gerald  read it after I had already ordered a new heat exchange from Beaver Coach Sales this afternoon.  :-/
Oh well, we are under a very tight time constraint to get the coach back on the road so we can get to Williamsburg.