Author Topic: Need Help With Valve and Jake Adjustment  (Read 6628 times)

steve zannella

Need Help With Valve and Jake Adjustment
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »
I'm planning to have the valves and jake adjustments checked on a 2004 marquis C12 and took a look at the valve covers under the bedroom access panel.

Looking at the middle 2 cylinders, i can't understand how the valve cover comes off as it is about 1 inch below a frame member.
Anyone know how this cover comes off. The cylinder pairs for front and rear are no problem.

Gerald Farris

Re: Need Help With Valve and Jake Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 02:57:04 AM »
Steve,
On my 2000 Marquis, the portion of the floor that is above the center valve cover is removable, and I am sure that it is removable on your coach also.

Gerald  

steve zannella

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:35:42 AM »
Hi Gerald, there is a floor access panel in my bedroom which I have removed. this gave me access to the rear 2 cylinders. The middle cylinders would be under the closet are you suggesting the closet floor is removable?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:08:35 AM »
Many coaches have more than one engine access panel, Steve.  Our Monterey has one in the bedroom floor riser, and another only inches away in the wardrobe floor.  I would think it unusual if your Marquis doesn't also.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
Steve,
Yes, it should be removable.

Gerald

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »
I can't speak specifically to the '04 Marquis but my '02 Thunder did not have a removeable panel above the center cover and there was a frame that crossed about 1" above the cover. It was necessary to drill a hole through the frame member to allow the removal of one of the bolts - the other was accessable. It was then necessary to remove some of the various other componants in the area to provide some room but the cover was then able to be lifted and tilted to the side enough to clear the valves enough for the adjustment to be made. As I recall, there were an additional 3 or so labor hours involved but the job did get done.

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
I believe there is a modification where the floor frame over the center valve cover that is under the wall section of the rear closet is cut so it can be removed. My 2002 Marquis looks like it has those cuts when you lift the floor hatch over the motor in the bedroom. Along the hatch support frame you can see those cuts. Not sure about other models and years.

Later Ed

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:12:24 PM »
Steve, I just did that mod last week. I have a copy of the bulletin to do the mod. If you send me your e-mail address here on the forum or a private message I will get it to you. Heck, give me a few hours and I will try to post it on the forum. Marty

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:00:13 AM »
Steve, I can't get the scanned images to take on the forum. Sent me a private message with your e-mail address and I will send them to you that way. I could also fax them to someone and maybe they could post them. Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 05:44:33 AM »
Marty,

Save them as jpg files and reduce the size to less than 1 meg for whatever you are posting picture wise. 2 pictures can be up to 500k file size each etc, If larger than 500k you would include just 1 photo per reply.

Later Ed

steve zannella

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »
Thanks Marty

I received the emails and gave them to the shop doing the work, hopefully they won't charge too much for the carpentry work.

steve zannella

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
Thanks to all for your help, I had to find and remove the wood cross member for the mechanic it wasn't intuitive by just looking at the bottom of the closet. They would not touch the carpet or flooring. Its was fairly simple once the carpet and base board molding around the closet was removed the screws were then visible.  

On a side note the shop convinced me to replace the o rings on the injectors and I said OK then they wanted to replace the metal sleeves and I said no. I hope I made the right decisions as the coach only has 40K miles. I my rational is the rubber seals might have deteriorated over time as opposed to the metal sleeves cracking.