Author Topic: cost for oil change? C12  (Read 14204 times)

William Brosam

cost for oil change? C12
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:18:21 AM »
What are you guys paying for an oil change on your C12?

ive been quoted everything from 169.99 at camping world (anything over 20 quarts is additional) to
450labor at CAT, plus 220$ for oil n filter.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: cost for oil change? C12
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:41:10 AM »
I do my own service work. The C-12 takes 9 gallons of oil. I use Dello 400 15/40. I look for it to be on sale and usually pay $12-13.00 a gallon. I buy my fuel and oil filter from the local CAT dealer at about $50.00 for both. Marty

William Brosam

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 04:09:54 AM »
9 gallons, hrm im reading it takes 20-40 gallons everywhere

Matthew Harger

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 04:13:16 AM »
William-
You might be thinking of quarts.  

William Brosam

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 04:23:58 AM »
its possible, cause im sitting here thinking 40gallons is nearly a drum and thats too much oil for this damn motor its not a D8 dozer

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 04:36:45 AM »
Bill,

I am not sure what was in the Cat estimate. It seems very high. Perhaps oil analysis, chassis lube, fuel filters, and perhaps synthetic oil among other things. Basically the cat oil filter is about $30, oil as Marty said is about $130 for non synthetic diesel oil like a Rotella or Delo. A Cat fuel filter, if that is changed is about another $25. If the Racor is changed probably another $50. Labor for a good job would be about 2 hours with a chassis lube. Be sure that the shop that you use is familiar with what fittings should and should not be greased on your particular brakes. Some air brakes have fittings that require special high temp clay based grease.

Add a fair mark up on the oil and filters that will be changed and two hours of the shop labor rate and that is about what you should pay.

Later Ed  

William Brosam

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 04:45:22 AM »
cat wanted 450 labor, plus 220$ for oil n filter cost. then fuel filters were 30-90$ he said depending on which ones, i took a picture of the fuel filters for the model numbers, ill find those locally or online and do those myself if i can find a bleed/ prime procedure after changing them.

the oil i dont have anything to catch that much i can get a 18 gallon catch pan at northern tool they have a couple in clearance section.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »
I use two 5 gallon paint pails that you can buy at the big box stores for $5. You only need 2 of them, and just have to make the switch quick when the first one gets full. I always have another empty standing by as well. Rotella T is $13.97 a gallon at Walmart, so about $140.00 for an oil change. The filters are available at NAPA.

Stan
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:26:16 PM by 5 »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »
Bill.

Sounds like you are headed in the direction of doing it yourself which is what I decided also. I have a plastic large container for the oil that I got from NAPA. It has an opening that is sealable after the drain and I take it over to Walmart or Autozone to get rid of the used oil. Northern tool sounds like a good plan. The filters can be hard to rotate after seating for a year and I invested in a cat strap filter wrench. It uses a belt as wide as a seat belt and you can get a lot of torque on this design when moved up by the flange face without getting crushing. It is an excellent inexpensive tool that you can get a 1/2 breaker bar on if needed.

https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/hand-tools-miscellaneous/185-3630

Cat filters are not that expensive and I highly recommend them for their quality and superior filter media. I get a better deal on them from an International Dealer then I do from Cat. I pay about $30. There is a high efficiency version with a different PN from the standard version available for each engine. Some info here.

https://parts.cat.com/wcs-static/pdfs/PEHJ0068-02.pdf

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »
I had mine changed at a Cummins dealer in Coburg last year and I think the oil change and filter was included in a service package that did a few other things like inspect brakes, hoses, lube and etc.  If memory serves the package was $329.00.  I also had the coolant changed to extended life to the oil change was all wrapped up into one bill.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:27:02 PM by 5 »

Bob Jae

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
Check out www.speedco.com they list the prices they charge for their services.  They are along some interstates and are like a Jiffy Lube for Trucks.  We have been happy with their services as you can watch and they show you whats going on.

Doug Neal

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 04:50:12 AM »
Like Bob I use Speedco and like their prices and service. On site oil analysis is under $20.00 and I think that is good insurance. They can also service your Onan generator. I use to go to Cummins for service, bill was always $450.00 plus. As to Camping World. Review some other posts as to their expertice.

William Brosam

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 07:39:40 PM »
i picked up the parts to service the generator, Air filter, Oil filter, Oil, Fuel filter. cost me about 100$ in total but atleast i know it will be in good condition.

as for the oil change, i found a few places with decent prices im still debating if i will change it myself or have the RV shop 3 blocks away do it so i dont have to deal with trying to get rid of the oil.

William Brosam

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
Onan Service complete, changed oil, Oil filter, Fuel Filter, and Air filter.

now to research coolant process.

and to those who feel you need to put on Oil filters like Hercules ive got some words for you. after breaking a borrowed strap wrench trying to get it off i took the new filter to O reillys and purchased a socket style wrench and between that and some huge channel locks it finally came off.

It was fun, now covered in diesel and black oil time for a shower.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
Next time stick an empty container underneath and hammer a long heavy screwdriver entirely through the cannister.  It will be messy anyway, and the screwdriver makes a great lever, exerting force on both sides.  ;)

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat