Author Topic: Aqua Hot  (Read 45374 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Aqua Hot
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »
Next question in my MH education series!  How do I start/test/exercise the Aqua Hot?  I assume it will operate without shore/gen power.  Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Aqua Hot
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »
The electric water heating element requires either shore or generator power.  The diesel burner, coolant circulation pumps, and several fans at the coach interior heat exchangers will operate from the house batteries, but will be quite a pull on the batteries if many or all are operating.  I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong.  This system, being somewhat complex, takes a while to learn.

My coach has a toggle switch above the couch/sink that actuates the Aqua Hot's diesel burner.  My coach has a toggle switch in the 110v power panel in the bedroom that actuates the electric water heating element.  All systems with switches in the 110v power panel in the bedroom require either shore or generator power.  The three living areas and the basement heating zones have their own thermostats which turn on and off the heat exchanger fans as their particular thermostat setting requires heat.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:36:44 PM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »
without shorepower can I just turn the diesel on and run water until it gets hot oe does it have to heat a holding tank somewhere?  I'm mainly concerned with making sure the diesel side works.  We used the elec a few weeks ago but have since had an elec surge that fried a few things.  I want to make sure it works before signing off on insurance.  Thanks
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »
If you don't have a surge protector, you better get one.  T c an happen again.

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
I believe there is a holding tank for hot coolant that heat exchanges with fresh water.  I do not know its volume, but I think I have heard it's seven-to-ten gallons or so.  I know that we can take two short-to-medium length showers before running out of acceptable temperature shower water.  The electric element will not heat water as fast as the shower demands it.  The diesel burner will heat water as fast as the shower and other systems demand it.

I believe the Aqua Hot operates mostly on 12v power - diesel pump, coolant pumps, etc.  It's electric water heating element uses 120v power.  For its protection, the Aqua Hot has a row of auto-type fuses enclosed in its exterior box in a fuse block.

I do not know which model of Aqua Hot your coach has, but our coach years are close - mine 2004, yours 2003.  This is a link to the service manual for the Aqua Hot unit in my coach.  All I know and more is contained in this service manual.  I doubt your Aqua Hot would be much different than mine.  The flow chart on page 11 may be fun to see.

http://www.aquahot.com/esource/ecom/esource/staticpages/documents/AHE-100-02S%20Service%20Manual%20Rev.%20B%209-27-2011.pdf

With noisy things off (TVs, radios, engines, etc.) I can hear the diesel burner fire up when I turn it on.  Also, I can always go outside and check its exhaust.  Obviously, if the exhaust is warm or hot, then the diesel burner has fired up.  If the electric heating element is operating, then there is a significant amperage draw showing on the Leg 2 reading on my Aladdin electrical screen.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:48:26 PM by 9124 »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »
Quote from: LEAH DRAPER
If you don't have a surge protector, you better get one.  T c an happen again.

It's a long story but I had a 50 amp but storage lot hooked up a 30 amp connection by mistake.  Didn't have a 30 amp so I took a chance and lost.  They had wired it wrong and fried switch, inverter and Hopefully nothing else.  But yes I learned a valuable lesson.  I would never have done that at a camp ground but they had a licensed electrician do it so I felt safe.  Hard lessons are the best!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »
Quote from: David T. Richelderfer
I believe there is a holding tank for hot coolant that heat exchanges with fresh water.  I do not know its volume, but I think I have heard it's seven-to-ten gallons or so.  I know that we can take two short-to-medium length showers before running out of acceptable temperature shower water.  The electric element will not heat water as fast as the shower demands it.  The diesel burner will heat water as fast as the shower and other systems demand it.

I believe the Aqua Hot operates mostly on 12v power - diesel pump, coolant pumps, etc.  It's electric water heating element uses 120v power.  For its protection, the Aqua Hot has a row of auto-type fuses enclosed in its exterior box in a fuse block.

I do not know which model of Aqua Hot your coach has, but our coach years are close - mine 2004, yours 2003.  This is a link to the service manual for the Aqua Hot unit in my coach.  All I know and more is contained in this service manual.  I doubt your Aqua Hot would be much different than mine.  The flow chart on page 11 may be fun to see.

http://www.aquahot.com/esource/ecom/esource/staticpages/documents/AHE-100-02S%20Service%20Manual%20Rev.%20B%209-27-2011.pdf

With noisy things off (TVs, radios, engines, etc.) I can hear the diesel burner fire up when I turn it on.  Also, I can always go outside and check its exhaust.  Obviously, if the exhaust is warm or hot, then the diesel burner has fired up.  If the electric heating element is operating, then there is a significant amperage draw showing on the Leg 2 reading on my Aladdin electrical screen.
Thanks for link.  I think mine is actually a Hydro-hot HHE-500.  I'll go to the coach in a day or 2 and try to get it fired up.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:51 PM »
I think David has explained it pretty well.  The setup on coaches can vary with year and model, but ours has all hydronic system switches together on one panel on the galley cabinet.  As to whether there is exactly a tank involved within the unit or just heat exchange tubing, I'm not sure, but Orman and others here can address that.

As mentioned, the electric element is not up to the snuff that the diesel burner is, so use it more for maintaining heat status that has been attained by the diesel side, and to save diesel fuel when plugged into power, especially power you've already paid for with camp fees.  The electric side won't keep up with the demands of a shower or perhaps a washing machine.  And you should know that since there are two sides to your hydronic unit, heating hot water and heating your living area and bays, one of them must take priority over the other;  hot water wins.  If you take a shower or run hot water somewhere else, an AquaHot/HydroHot will circulate through that water exchange coil and usually shut down the coach heat in order to maximize and keep up with the hot water demand.  Rather than water, the living space heat is provided by circulating boiler fluid/antifreeze through separate exchange coils and pumping it in loops to fan-forced heat exchangers at floor vents.  We often notice our floor heat exchanger blowers stopping when we turn on a hot tap.  Once that water demand stops, the vent fans kick on again.  That may be less common on an Aqua Hot as opposed to our smaller Hydro Hot, but I'd assume it occurs on both.

The third switch on our panel is for circulating hydronically heated antifreeze through the engine to warm it up prior to starting when it's cold.  Similarly, your engine coolant heat circulates automatically through your HHot so when you come off the highway to camp each day, the HHot is already warm and needs less diesel to initially run.  It also assists the HHot if you use it to warm the rig's interior during travel in lieu of or in addition to the dash heater.  Contrary to some confusion among new owners, the engine preheat switch is not involved with nor is it necessary to this automatic engine-assisted AHot feature;  the switch allows the HHot or AHot to heat up the engine, not the other way around since the engine coolant circulates through the hydronic unit automatically anyway - no switch needed.

On ours at least, the diesel burner switch on the galley panel is also used to reset the unit if it should go into a fault for some reason, such as a low battery shutdown or other reason.  Simply turning the diesel switch off for a couple minutes, then back on, may be all it takes to reset and get things going again.  Otherwise you'll need to check the lamps on the HHot control panel in the HHot bay to get a clue as to what may be wrong.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:05:20 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Williams

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:44:52 AM »
Quote from: David T. Richelderfer

The Hydro-Hot/Aqua Hot does not have a fresh water hot water storage tank. It just has a coil in the burner/antifreeze fluid area that holds a quart or two of fresh water. The burner heats the water to near boiling and the HH has a mixing valve to mix cold water with it as it exits the unit to get it to temperatures that are safe. Therefore only a small volume of the superhot water is used at a time. And the electric element can keep up as long as the volume used is not too much. I have taken short showers with just the electric element. For more volume the diesel burner needs to be used and it is capable of producing continuous hot water.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:47:22 AM by 21337 »

steve zannella

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 05:46:21 AM »
Jerry

Your diesel portion on Aqua Hot doesn't require 120v to operate. That being said, it does require 12 volt. However, the 120v electric heater portion will operate even if you had a low voltage 12 volt fault.
 If you had  power interruption with your 12 volt system such as turning off battery switches, then your AquaHot will be in LOW VOLTAGE Fault mode and you will have to hit the reset button on your mother board before your diesel portion of AquaHot will work.

You can tell if you are in Fault mode by switching on the diesel switch and if it glows then you are OK, if not then check the mother board and look for the Low Voltage red light. I use a tooth pick to push the reset switch.

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 06:26:45 AM »
Yes... the electric element and diesel burner heat coolant in a "boiler tank."  I believe within the boiler tank there are coils containing fresh water that exchange heat from the coolant to the fresh water in the coils.  The boiler tank is of sufficient volume to store enough heat energy in the coolant to adequately warm enough fresh water for two shorter length showers in my coach... that is, without the diesel burner or electric element turned on.

Of note, when in cold weather - cold enough to freeze and break pipes - it is important to either have the fresh water coils preferably winterized or at least blown out, or otherwise adequately heated to prevent freezing.  It is very expensive to replace or repair split coils in the boiler tank.  It also can be dangerous because the coolant may mix into the fresh water rendering your water unfit to consume.  Repairing the split coils, purchasing a rebuilt Aqua Hot or Hydro Hot unit if one can be found, or purchasing a new unit will cost from $7k to $12K I am told.

The service manual for your Hydro Hot, if you cannot find it, is at:  http://www.aquahot.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/staticpages/documents/HHE-200-09E_HHE-500-09M_Service_Manual.pdf

Perusing through your unit's service manual I see it's nearly identical in function in all aspects to my Aqua Hot but a bit different in architectural design.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 01:58:34 PM »
Want to learn all to know about a AguaHot system just go here and do some reading. You can email Roger with any question you can think of and he will have the answer. Unit model # and serial #'s a must. Also download the complete manual for your unit, it will explain more about one then you will ever want to know.

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum.php

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 03:36:49 AM »
Thanks everybody.  I've been studying the manuals you all pointed out to me.  My concern right now is just making sure it works so I will turn it on and hope I don't have to go hunting for the mother board.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 01:17:36 PM »
Jerry,

The thing to be sure of is that the system is full of antifreeze. Just because the expansion tank is full does not necessarily mean the main unit is full. You can remove the cap on the main boiler and dip a finger or paint stick to be sure. If the overflow container level moves up as you heat the boiler then it is full but you want to know that before you try and heat it up for the first time.

The radiator caps only last a couple of years and then may not seal well so you may want to check that out. Also the hose that runs to the expansion container tends to age and crack also. Just some maintenance items to keep an eye on. You would not want to run the burner unless the unit is quite full.

Later Ed

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
I would just add that when I went to an Aqua Hot seminar in Gillette last June, the instructor said that blowing out the lines will not get all of the water from the coils, and it was highly recommended that the pink stuff be pumped through. (the pink stuff you buy at Wally Word, NOT the propylene glycol boiler anti-freeze)

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad