Author Topic: roof cleaning  (Read 16597 times)

Joel Weiss

Re: roof cleaning
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 03:35:54 AM »
I had posted last year that I had my roof painted with the Dicor Fiberglass Roof Treatment and I can say that it has completely eliminated white streaks for over 18 months.  I did it without any trips up the ladder!  I hired someone to do it for me; I know my own limitations!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 06:50:23 AM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
I had posted last year that I had my roof painted with the Dicor Fiberglass Roof Treatment and I can say that it has completely eliminated white streaks for over 18 months.  I did it without any trips up the ladder!  I hired someone to do it for me; I know my own limitations!

A man after my own heart! Way to go Joel!  8)

P.S. Bill Sprague: Does that mean you'd better hurry and get it done? Not enough trips up the ladder in you?  :)

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
Bill,

20 minutes with spray wax, you must be talking about doing the roof of one of those die cast replicas from your recliner :-)

Dave,

One could wear those rungs away in about a thousand years :-)

The paint was under $50 for three quarts and it really is not a bad job. Beats getting under the rig and working any day. It takes us about two hours to wash the rig and without the streaks we probably have to do that about half as often, so it saves us time in the long run....

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
If you've got a barn to store your rig in, rolling stairs make life a lot easier (and safer).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »
Nice.  :)
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 01:57:52 AM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Bill,

20 minutes with spray wax, you must be talking about doing the roof of one of those die cast replicas from your recliner :-)

Ed,

This stuff goes on like Pledge on the dining table we got rid of.  I did not count the time to collect the wax and microfiber rags.  Nor did I count the time I spend putting it off.  

It might take 30 minutes?

Edward Buker

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 02:47:23 AM »
Bill,

I now envision a dual holster arrangement with two cans of spray wax. You climb the ladder, tip your cowboy hat, and draw. You shoot the two cans at once as you run back and forth from one end of the roof to the other. A quick couple of glides with some fuzzy slippers on to buff the coat and you are good to go in 20 minutes flat.

Sounds like this could be a very entertaining enterprise to watch, billed as Buffalo Bill, the fastest wax man in the west :-)

Steve, nice shop and I do like the rolling stairs. Looks like a great place to work, given it is as hot as it is out there this time of year.

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 04:30:16 AM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
....Sounds like this could be a very entertaining enterprise to watch, billed as Buffalo Bill, the fastest wax man in the west :-)
Ed,

I need a sequel to the video of Roy Mueller fixing headlights.  It is up to 2136 "views" and I can seem to match it with anything!  Perhaps waxing the roof with microfiber rags tied to my feet would do it.

Bill

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 05:36:15 AM »
I'll vote for that!  Go for it Bill.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 01:10:06 PM »
Bill,

You and Roy did a great job on that project. I was an electrical engineer by trade and although I did not have to have that video to get the work done I used it anyway because it made the job so much easier.  I think you will keep racking up the views on that one.....

Depending on the entertainment factor a good roof wax video might rival that one. Picture this.... A couple of cans of wax spinning in your hands like a six gun before you holster them with some of the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly theme music dubbed in. A little cigar hanging out of the corner of your mouth just like Clint Eastwood used to do. A Micro Fiber rags under each boot...could be big :-)

Later Ed

Jim Skatzka

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 12:24:36 PM »
Quote from: David T. Richelderfer
Speaking of deterioration...  I don't want my ladder to deteriorate any more, so I ain't going to climb it.  Yup, this thread has run its course.

I think my brother recently painted his roof with that Rustolium Deck Paint - expensive stuff - and he said he went up and down his ladder about fifty times over two days.  Of course, he's younger than most of us.

rustoleum top side deck paint cost is about 12 bucks a qt. it takes about 4 to 5 qts to do a 45 ft coach. not expensive at all . I did mine about 2 yrs ago and still looks fresh.

Jim

Tom Nathan

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »
We winter in Florida at Riverbend Motorcoach Resort and numerous people are painting their roofs with a product called Bus Kote. My understanding is the hardest part is preping the roof to paint it. Google search it and you will see the various people using it including NASA.
Tom Nathan<br />2006 Monterey Cat C9-400/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 24ft Haulmark Transporter Trailer

Edward Buker

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »
Tom,

There are options out there when it comes to the issue of preserving our Beaver roofs. The problem we have is caulking for the most part which is the same problem the marine industry has with fiberglass boat decks. In order to eliminate the sluffing off of gelcoat particles that causes our streaking, painting with a marine deck paint is durable and sufficient. If I had significant areas of roof problems with crazing or cracking I would consider the Buss Kote in that it is a thicker elastometric coating for filling damaged areas. The disadvantage is cost and that in time when that coating has issues (all coatings have a life) you then have a more difficult situation to deal with. With a paint system, it is a pressure wash, a scuff and reroller the roof. I am not convinced that I would want multiple layers of Buss Kote and I am not sure that it can be removed. I am on my fourth year having painted my roof spring of 2010 and it is doing just fine, still looks new. I think Buss Kote is a fine product but I am not convinced that it is the right choice for roofs that are in good shape with just a streaking issue. Just one opinion....

Later Ed

Tom Nathan

• BAC Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
Ed
I am still planning on doing my roof in the fall with the Bus Kote product. The expense is not great and having seen the product up close and personal I decided to give it a try. The one person who has demonstrated the product at our park has had in on his coach roof for 3 years now. He has indicated that it keeps the temps down inside in the Summer months with sun blazing down on the roof. The coach also showed no signs of chalking coming down anywhere. He put down Two coats followed by two coats of clear. I may also mention that they full time.. Just my over all opinion but since I have seen it on 4-5 coaches it does work and I will let you know in the fall how it goes with mine..

Tom
Tom Nathan<br />2006 Monterey Cat C9-400/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 24ft Haulmark Transporter Trailer

Edward Buker

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »
Tom,

Take a few photos and let us know how it all works out. As far as keeping the temps down I am skeptical. It can be a more reflective surface, like a bright white deck paint which helps but the attic temp will likely be the same. Our heat gains are pretty hard to adjust with all this window area. Reflective insulating panels in the front window can help at times or outside window covers with a foil worked into the layers.

Later Ed