Author Topic: roof cleaning  (Read 16591 times)

William Harrison

roof cleaning
« on: May 28, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
 I just finished waxing our coach and noticed chalking streaks appeared on the painted surfaces at the roof edge
after a light rain.  What is the roof composition and how best to clean and seal it?

Chuck Harrison
Akron, Ohio
2003 Beaver Marquis

Edward Buker

Re: roof cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »
Chuck,

It is best to paint it to seal it. If you search on my name and roof there is information on an inexpensive option and how to do it. You could hire it out if you did not want to do it yourself. Others have used a more expensive coating system also. Short of that it is hard to get any lasting resolution for this problem. The gel coat is degrading and sluffing off in particles due to sun damage.

Later Ed

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
I wax my rig twice each year including the roof we have an 06 and so far I have not seen any streaks I am luck that we do keep the rig indoors when not in use.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 06:38:59 PM »
I painted mine per Ed Buker's instructions. Easy job and the results look great!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 12:39:37 AM »
Ed or Steve,

Either of you are welcome to paint mine! I will be happy to report the results to this group!  8)

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:00:29 AM »
Stan,

We have to share these experiences, you do not want us to have all the fun. Just think of the view you will have as you wander around the rooftop rollering your time away......you really would not want to miss out on that party :-)

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 01:27:54 AM »
Stan,
Following up on Ed's comments, the scrubbing and sanding will give you time to connect with your inner self (as there's not much else to think about...) :)
Next time we travel between Madison and Naperville, I'll stop by and supervise. ;D
Steve
Steve

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:23 AM »
My confidence level is really high now. Maybe next year!  8)

Steve, just about half way...stop any time if you have a brush.. :)

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »
William
while it is my intent to follow suit with the roof painting I havent had time yet.  What we do is keep it very clean in the mean time.  I wash the roof several times each year and when those black spots start showing up I use 50% mix of simple green and a spray bottle, and a good brush.  The simple green is good on the mildue and realy helps cut the chaulking. After the simple green I use a good wash / wax to give a bit of protection and its good for a couple months.

Best of luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »
I wax mine.  The wax is in a spray can and made by Protect All.  The can says it has UV block in it.  With the convenience of the spray can, I can do it in 20 or 30 minutes.  It helps to wear knee pads.  

If I do it about every 6 months, the white, chalky streaks are minimal.  The spray has enough solvent in it that the black spots come off too.

http://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-13-5-Aerosol-62015/dp/B005UGEQ68/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1401384263&sr=1-4&keywords=protect+all

Camping World stocks it for less money.

Not believing a spray wax could be any good, I tried it on half of my Honda S2000's really shiny hood.  I put some hard to apply stuff on the other side.  I think it was Meguires.  

The S2000 is so fast, you can't tell any difference unless you park, get out and look.  After several months there seemed to be no difference.  If I had to stop at a light rain drops would bead the same and both sides.  

If I could get the Beaver to be as slick, shiny and smooth as the Honda, I'm sure the MPG would go up 20%.   8)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
I've used ProtectAll for decades, and it does work.  But I've noted it can break down in its container over long periods of time, so purchasing it in the gallon jugs wasn't as cost-effective as I'd expected.

Although it's pretty spendy, I've more recently been using AeroSpace 303 instead, and I think it has more UV protection than most other products of the same ilk.  Regularly applying it to the front cap (once a week to once a month) while on long trips does make cleaning bugs and dirt off a whole lot easier.  I haven't tried it on the roof, though I did once use ProtectAll topside, with results like Bill's.  But Monaco's recommendation of Maquire's was used a couple of times, and though much harder to apply, I think it lasted longer before the oxidation started reappearing.

My brother has been into restoring old cars for most of his 77 years and knows protective techniques - he subscribes to just about every restoration periodical, and via the articles he keeps up on modern paint, technique, and protecion technology.  His advice to me was you just can't avoid hard work.  No matter the product, UV protective chemicals only last a few weeks when exposed to the sun.  He did his level best when we first bought the Monterey to talk me into a steel carport for it, but after the coach purchase there just was no money left.  He spent several hours one day driving me around East Portland showing me houses with big RV carports.  He was so insistent I half expected him to offer to pay for it himself.  He's always wanted a coach so bad himself, he can hardly stand it;  his wife will have nothing to do with riding in such beasts,  the poor guy.  But even if cost had not been an issue, the logistics of such an installation in our already confined RV pad area just wasn't feasible.  

So I try to polish Mequiar's onto the roof when I do the coach overall;  even if the UV protection expires soon after, it still seems to mitigate the white oxidation that washes off, apparently for well over a year.  303 in a quart bottle should spray and spread on up there easily, so I want to try it next time.  A downside to wax, ProtectAll, or Aero 303 is they make the roof slick, at least for awhile.  So I try to get anything else done up there first, like AC unit checking, seam checks, vent lid seal treatment, etc.  And I try not to finish the roof just before tripping off to Bend and having the guys do any work up there - they'd not expect a roof to be as slippery as that.

Ultimately we should probably all be applying Ed's paint technique.  I've just not found the time to do it or I would have by now.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »
Joel,
I also used to do the yearly clean and treat until I applied Rustolium Deck Paint per Ed's instructions. He estimated 8 hrs over 2 days which is probably a bit conservative. The 1st day is the busiest with the washing and scrubbing with a red scotch pad, followed by a light sanding and rinse.  Once dry one masks the roof and then applies the first coat of paint. All this can be done on the first day. The second coat is applied teh next day and the masking removed. The finished product looks shiny but is not slippery and sheds dirt very well.
Steve
Steve

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 12:10:09 AM »
Quote from: Steve Huber Co-Admin
...I also used to do the yearly clean and treat until I applied Rustolium Deck Paint per Ed's instructions. He estimated 8 hrs over 2 days which is probably a bit conservative.
The math is not working for me.  In eight hours there are 24 each 20 minute periods.  If I can spray wax in 20 minutes every 6 months, that is 12 years.  If I get lazy and do it every 8 months, would it be 16 years?  

Maybe the trick is to paint it the last year I'm capable of climbing the ladder without assistance.  ;D

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 01:14:39 AM »
Bill,
I climbed the ladder about 6 (let's say 8 to be conservative) times during the process. Your approach requires 24 climbs to achieve similar results. Hmmm (this thread is beginning to deteriorate...... ??)
Steve
Steve

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 01:39:52 AM »
Speaking of deterioration...  I don't want my ladder to deteriorate any more, so I ain't going to climb it.  Yup, this thread has run its course.

I think my brother recently painted his roof with that Rustolium Deck Paint - expensive stuff - and he said he went up and down his ladder about fifty times over two days.  Of course, he's younger than most of us.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!