Author Topic: repaint front cap  (Read 6900 times)

Dick Simonis

repaint front cap
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »

Tomorrow morning on the road heading for Idaho Falls for the Grandson fix than off to OR with the obligatory stop at BCS en-route....this coach has homing pigeon tendencies and can not pass BCS without a visit.

This year we're getting the front bumper, roof caps and radius repainted in Eugene and perhaps attacking the film on the the front end while in the body shop.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:37:00 AM by 5 »

neil omalley

Re: repaint front cap
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »
Dick: please keep the forum advised as to the who,what ,where, cost, etc.of the film removal and repaint of the front end of your coach. Will you be putting the 3m film back on after painting? I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have just the paint job where I can at least touch up the nick and dings without the film  hassle.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »
Actually I may have mis stated my intentions.  The repainting will only be on the roof and the top of the front cap above the windshield and, I understand that the repainting is only the clear coat..could be wrong on that.  The only 3M film being removed is the piece above the windshild and that will not be replaced.

Below the windshield the 3M film is starting to look pretty bad but removing it may damage the underlying paint so that is a crap shoot and we won't know until they start.  However at that point it's a crap shoot so I'm waiting until we get to Eugene and have them look at it before committing.  More than likely I'll wait on that until next year on the front film.  I was told 1,500 to remove and replace....if there is not paint damage.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 07:52:45 PM »
Hi Dick, I hope your paint work goes well. I will head to BCS for some repairs/paint. I have a 6" crack at the joining point of the front cap that will need to be repaired and painted. I also have a main slide gasket that has to go! I should pull in on the 16th would love to see you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:10:13 PM by 5 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:20:34 PM »
Jerry,  I'm looking at around the 18th/19th in Bend and than on to Eugene for the painting.  Spend a few days at Beaver Coach Sales,  I also need to pop down and visit the folks that do interior work.  I have a couple of dining chairs that are getting some wear spots and Pat is not at all pleased.

FYI, Straight line in Eugene is doing my painting. They were at the 7 Feathers Rally and I had them quote the job at that time.  So I need to be in Eugene on the 24th or so withing a day or two.

I would love to see how that attack the gasket since that will be and issue in the future.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:11:36 PM by 5 »

neil omalley

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:31:54 AM »
Dick: what are they charging you to remove the film above the windshield and repaint? Is that what you're looking at?  I can live with the few chips that are beginning to show under my 3M front end but the top part is beginning to look pretty worn and the film will have to be removed and repainted. I cannot imagine the film being removed anywhere without damaging the paint underneath. Am I understanding you correctly that you are having the white part of the roof painted?

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 03:12:39 AM »
I'm having the clear coat repainted above the windshield and all the top areas next to the white part of the roof.  I guess the best way to describe it is the curved sections along the sides down to the channel, the top of the front and rear caps as well as the painted roof up to the white stuff.  In order to do that the top piece of film comes off and is repainted.

I was quoted 4200 for the whole job in nothing else needs attention.

neil omalley

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 03:34:03 AM »
gotcha! Thanks.