Author Topic: Jeep QuadraTrac II N-23 Recall  (Read 7062 times)

Tim Westman

Jeep QuadraTrac II N-23 Recall
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »
I know many of you tow Jeeps.  Last year, Jeep announced a safety recall for some models, I believe only the Grand Cherokee and Commander models were affected and then only some model years - maybe 2006-2011.  The recall was to address a problem relating the transfer cases dropping into neutral on its own.  Since having this safety recall (N-23) done on our Jeep last fall, our Jeep has failed in Michigan, California, Arizona Oregon and now in Washington.  The problem is that the transfer case will not go into neutral and the Command Center error message indicates "Service 4 Wheel Drive" and thus cannot be towed.  I know that this problem is not unique to our Jeep and I have spoke to many of you with similar problems and have tried your suggestions without success.  What I would like to do is find out how widespread this problem is and what solutions have been found.  Jeep dealers in the first 4 four states have failed to find a permanent solution and I would like to have some additional information when I take our vehicle into the dealership here in Bellingham.

Solutions to date have included reprogramming, a new actuator motor, reprogramming with the "updated" firmware (multiple times) but nothing seems to work for more than 3 or 4 times.  Please respond even if we have communicated.  I would like to bring as much information as I can when I take our Jeep back in.  I don't think the dealerships know the extent of this problem or your solutions and head down the "Stock" answer road.  I have tried Jeep Customer Care but they do not have this access to any technical assistance - only the dealers do.  I would like some data when I go to this dealer.

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
Re: Jeep QuadraTrac II N-23 Recall
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:44:57 AM »
We have had much the same experience.  After the update the first time we hooked up to tow it wouldn't go into neutral.  We made a couple of stops and it worked fine after our mechanic reset the codes.  Then in LA the same thing happened and we took to the Jeep dealer who reprogrammed it and said it was good for one shift.  Stayed connected to Hilton Head where it would not go into gear.  Had it towed to Jeep who said they had a magic fix.  Worked 5-6 times then when we got to Charleston it would not go into gear.  Towed to Jeep who said the problem was wide spread with no known solutions.  This was all in Feb/March.  Found the final cure in Charleston by buying a new car.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Tim Westman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »
Thanks Mike and thanks to all who called with their thoughts and experiences.  We have decided to cancel our Alaska trip and just focus on this issue.  I am leaning towards replacement but I am not looking forward to the related hassle of shopping, base plate installation, lights, and auxiliary brake installation in an area we are totally unfamiliar with.  I am also going to explore the FMCA blog solution of locating and installing an "old" control module.  Thanks George Harwell and Rick Stephens.

Incidentally, after my most recent visit to the Bellingham dealership, I found out that the new control module that was supposed to be installed at the Bend dealership wasn't since the tag on mine has a 2007 manufacture date!  They put a new actuator motor on instead that I know isn't the solution from others that had that done before me.  I have been extremely disappointed in Jeep's lack of care about the problem.  I've owned 4 Jeeps, this is my last (as much as I love it!).                                        

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
Mike,

What did you buy to replace your Jeep?
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »
Before the Jeep malfunction we were already considering replacement and the Ford Edge was the leading candidate because of a couple of our Beaver friends positive experience.  We ended up with the Lincoln MKX which is essentially the same.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

MarcRodstein

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »
Is this a problem on the newer Jeeps too? I would like to know as I am considering buying a new Grand Cherokee.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 05:33:01 PM »
Quote from: Mike Humble
Before the Jeep malfunction we were already considering replacement and the Ford Edge was the leading candidate because of a couple of our Beaver friends positive experience.  We ended up with the Lincoln MKX which is essentially the same.
Mike
It is not "essentially the same"!

My wife's Edge does not "hold a candle" to Mike's wife's MKX.  Donna's is quieter, sleeker, shinier and it even has heated seats in the back!  Better is that the seats can even be cooled!  And, then there is the electronics.  Mike and Donna can have a conversation with their car!  If that's not enough, there is radar of some sort so you don't bump into other cars.  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »
Marc,
No, the firmware issue that Tim is referring to has to do with a recall were the transfer case control module was reprogrammed to prevent it from shifting into neutral unintentionally. I think that the recall involved Grand Cherokees from 2005 to 2011. I own a 2005 Grand Cherokee, and my solution to the problem was to not have the recall performed on my car until the bugs are worked out of the new firmware.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:02:27 PM by 5 »

Rick and Laura Stephens

• BAC Member
  • 2014 Entegra Anthem/ 450 HP
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »
Marc , I was told it only affects 2005 thru 2010 Grand Cherokees.       Rick

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »
Glad to read this thread. We are getting ready to sell our 2005 Subaru Forester and get a new Grand Cherokee Diesel. May have second thoughts now. Does anyone own a 2012 or newer Grand Cherokee and if so have you had any of the same problems?
Steven
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
Found this thread on the FMCA board. Seems there might be a fix to this problem. http://community.fmca.com/topic/6933-problem-with-jeep-grand-cherokee-transfer-case/
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15