Author Topic: Engine/Transmission Access problem  (Read 2834 times)

Jeff Watt

Engine/Transmission Access problem
« on: July 02, 2014, 02:00:03 AM »
I have an appointment for a transmission oil change on Thursday. So I thought it best to see how to access the fill area. It seems to be another good design where the access panel is in a "L" shape with part of it up in the closet. Not totally solid, one large piece lying horizontal then a 5-6" piece going up - at the join I think it is just the carpet holding them together. However the large piece goes under the frame of the closet.

I think, although somewhat hesitant to do so, that part of the frame needs to be removed. The outside trim stays in place (no obvious way to remove it) however the inside flat piece (about 3-4" wide) should come out - 6 screws holding it. When it does then I think the carpet piece that is attached to it will also come thereby allowing the hatch cover to then slide out and under the closet frame. Not likely easily.

Problem is if I do this then either I do it after I get to the shop or risk having dust/debris coming up through the hatch AND having the closet doors swinging around. I guess they can come off, but that is even more work.

Alternatively, I suppose it may be possible to fill using the dip-stick pipe, but that will take a long time to get the gallons of oil in.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Gerald Farris

Re: Engine/Transmission Access problem
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:16:09 PM »
I always use the dipstick tube to add transmission fluid. It is a little slow when you are adding from gallon jugs, but most large professional shops use a pressurized hose dispenser (gun) that makes adding fluid through the dipstick tube very easy and quick.

Gerald  

Jeff Watt

Re: Engine/Transmission Access problem
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
Gerald,

I did some searches on the site and found out that the dipstick is the often used fill location. Ed B. also sent me a photo of his ingenious method of filling.

It is also obvious that others with similar vintage coaches have a problem with the access panel. Hopefully I won't have to use it.

Jeff