Author Topic: Shore/Generator Power  (Read 5377 times)

Michael Carbonaro

Shore/Generator Power
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:40:28 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike and I have a question about Leg1/ Leg2.  I have a 2000 Marquis 40' I notice that when shore power is on 30 amp service and generator I only have power to leg 1. Leg 2 is 0. Is that normal?  And generator shuts off after about 30 min.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:49:20 AM by 14 »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Shore/Generator Power
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 06:02:09 PM »
Mike,
I'm pretty sure that leg 2 feeds you 2nd AC unit which will will not operate when on 30A service. Thus no current draw. If you are running your generator and are disconnected from shore power, the second AC unit should be functional. It will turn on if the primary unit can't cool the coach to the set temperature.
Not sure why the generator is shutting down after 30 minutes... Doesn't sound normal.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »
When on 30 amp shore power you have access to a total of 30 amps SHARED across legs 1 and 2.  The sum of the amp readings on leg 1 and 2 are the total amps being demanded by your coach.  Each leg's reading is telling you how much power that leg is pulling to service its demands from various devices on your coach.  Some devices are tied to leg 1 while others are tied to leg 2.  Unless there is an electrical problem with power getting to your leg 2, then your coach's electrical devices tied to leg 2 are simply not demanding any power.

As I understand it: When on 50 amp shore or generator power you have access up to 100 amps - upwards of 50 amps on each leg... assuming your shore/generator has the capability to supply that much power.

I have the capability to allow my generator to run a limited time.  I currently have it set on 30 minutes, so it shuts down after 30 minutes of running. Your inverter's remote panel may have the capability of programming your generator as mine does.  I found that running even an hour was not necessary to charge up my house batteries to 13.5v or higher.

Any more details and/or corrections will be made by others here on the forum.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Michael Carbonaro

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »
Thank You Steve

That is what I thought, but since I posted the breaker in my house 30 amp just for the unit popped I reset now I have power  on booth legs. I do think the gen is another problem.

Michael Carbonaro

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
Hey David

I just checked monitor for readings leg 1 is pulling 20 amps leg 2 99volts  0 amps  but both front and back ac is on. I'm thinking my shore cord has a problem, when I move it I can hear crackle sounds.

Thanks

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:34:50 PM »
Michael,
It sounds like you have a defective 50 to 30 amp adapter.

Also, never run your A/C unit with voltage readings below 104 volts. It will damage your compressor.

Gerald

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »
Michael,
In an earlier post in this thread, you said that your front and rear A/C units were both running. Unless your coach has been converted to roof A/C units, your coach only has one basement A/C. You A/C unit has two compressors and the thermostat will automatically turn on the second compressor if the inside temperature gets more than 2 degrees above the set temperature. So if you are on 30 amp service, you need to go to the breaker box in the rear closet and turn off the breaker for the second compressor to prevent overloading the circuit. The thermostat and A/C unit has no way to tell if you are on 30 or 50 amp service.

Gerald    

Michael Carbonaro

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »
Gerald
 how do I know witch one in the box I have the following

Main 50A
Main 50A
Rear Air 20A
Micro CSA 20A
Front Air 20A

Thanks Mike

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Mike,
Normally the secondary compressor is wired to the breaker that is marked "rear air". However, the guys that wired these coaches were not always overly careful about which compressor was wired to either circuit. The best way to determine the proper breaker is to turn on the A/C unit and wait for the primary compressor to come on line as demonstrated by the CMP 10 with increased amp draw, and then turn off the breaker marked "rear air". If the primary compressor continues to run, that is the correct breaker. If not try the breaker marked "front air".

Gerald  

William Brosam

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
I had a similar experience just recently.  Mine turned out to be a bad connection at the 50mp connector on the Pole/RV park.  I went out reinserted the cord and problem was solved.  Both a/c and the water heater worked again,
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:26:06 PM by 282 »