Author Topic: Hydro Hot Challenged  (Read 35965 times)

Les Brandt

Re: Hydro Hot Challenged
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 03:57:40 AM »
I haven't done a thing to it yet. I needed to replace the controller panel.

Now the diagnostics start. I might just take it in for a service but I thought I would elicit the wisdom of you kind and knowledgeable Sirs on this forum first before pushing more moola out of my wallet.

Les Brandt

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »
Okay, so I replaced the controller panel. No more low battery voltage fault. I ordered a new filter and fuel nozzle and installed them.

I turned on the diesel switch. Blower started up and ran for 2 minutes and 50 seconds and shut off. Nothing else. No smoke coming out of the exhaust, just air. I cycled it 4 more times. No change!

:-/ :o

Any ideas anybody???

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 01:03:41 AM »
Les,
Did you align the ignition electrodes? If they are out of alignment the fuel won't ignite. There should be an alignment fixture screwed to the unit.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Les Brandt

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 01:25:10 AM »
HOORAY!!!

I just went out to the coach and turned on the Hydro Hot to do some more diagnostic checks on the unit and when I went outside the sound was different. It sounded like the burner had ignited.

Excitedly, I ran around the side of the coach and could smell diesel fumes, I ran like a Jack rabbit into the coach and turned on the hot water......cold.....lukewarm.....hot.....REAL HOT!

I can't tell you how happy it makes me that this has started to work! Saved myself about $700 in diagnostic fees. Cost me about $400 to get working.

I may not be out of the woods yet, need to make sure it runs constantly to have a shower or bath.

Thanks all for your help and hints!

Happy in BC!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 01:35:35 AM »
I think a previous poster was spot-on, Les.  You just needed to get the fuel up where it belongs, and that took a few cycling and resting efforts.
Glad you are back in business, although you are correct that you need to let it stay on for awhile and cycle a day or two to be sure.  If you are going to the Oregon rallies next month, have Orman, John Carillo, or an AquaHot tech check things out just to be sure all is up to snuff, and lessen the liklihood of losing heat some time when you really need it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Les Brandt

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
So today I tried filling the bath tub. I hooked up city water and used only the hot side. It was hot at first but then only warm after running for a bit. The boiler fired up a few times but with only the hot water running, the water in the tub was Luke warm.

Any thoughts?

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »

Consider the rate of flow at the tap. Although the Hydro Hot is capable of a continuous supply of hot water the rate at which it can heat the incoming water is not infinite. Someone may chime in as to what that rate might be - I did read it somewhere. The temperature of the incoming water is also a factor perhaps.

Just my 2 cents...

Bob
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »
I guess I'd suspect your mixing valve first, but I'm not familiar with how to adjust it.  Others here are.  Since you've done recent work regarding the unit, it could be another issue.  I'd still like to see you have it checked by a knowledgeable service person.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Les Brandt

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
I guess I'd suspect your mixing valve first, but I'm not familiar with how to adjust it.  Others here are.  Since you've done recent work regarding the unit, it could be another issue.  I'd still like to see you have it checked by a knowledgeable service person.

Joel

I'm just about there! (Wits End!)   :(

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
Les,

If your diesel burner is cycling on a regular basis and the hot water is not adequate, then I would suspect the missing valve/mixing pump.  This valve gets sediment in it and will not function property.  There is a easy way to fix, but you need to be able to get to the mixing valve.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Bob Jae

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 08:55:14 PM »
Les
Hopefully you can get at the mixing valve mine is on the back side of the unit.  I would mark where it is at and then move it from one stop to the other and set it back at the mark.

Also verify that your stir pump is working.  When mine was not working I had exactly the same symptoms that you are experiencing.  And the symptoms are the same similar on electric or diesel.  Locate the stir pump if your unit has one and verify that the input and output hose is hot.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:38 AM »
Start with the Temperature of the water, 50deg water,you will only have 100 deg .hot water
Another is the flow, 1.5 GPM, NOT pressure

Les Brandt

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:45 AM »
I'll check these things in the AM.

Thanks all for your continued suggestions.

Signed,

Frustrated

Les Brandt

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 12:10:39 AM »
Quote from: Orman Claxton
Start with the Temperature of the water, 50deg water,you will only have 100 deg .hot water
Another is the flow, 1.5 GPM, NOT pressure

Orman, I'll call you in the AM if that's okay. I'll walk you through what I've done so far.

Les

Les Brandt

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »
Bob Jae sent me some info. My unit does not have a stir pump. I'm going to try to test the low temp cutoff switch this AM.