Author Topic: Hydro Hot Challenged  (Read 35962 times)

Les Brandt

Hydro Hot Challenged
« on: June 20, 2014, 04:27:05 AM »
We just bought our new to us 2001 40' Beaver Patriot Monticello 330hp.

I have tried only as suggested to turn on the Hydro Hot diesel side. Our unit is a HydroHot Model HHE 500-4M.

It doesn't fire up and I don't have a clue where to start. Some lights come on the panel, but I have no idea what I'm doing? I don't even know the basics. I have always owned hot water tanks and furnaces.

Can anyone help with where to start a diagnosis?

Some help would be appreciated!

Bill Sprague

Re: Hydro Hot Challenged
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 04:31:29 AM »
Start by making sure it is full of antifreeze.  There is a low level switch that stops it from working.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 05:04:12 AM »
Quote from: Les Brandt
We just bought our new to us 2001 40' Beaver Patriot Monticello 330hp.

I have tried only as suggested to turn on the Hydro Hot diesel side. Our unit is a HydroHot Model HHE 500-4M.

It doesn't fire up and I don't have a clue where to start. Some lights come on the panel, but I have no idea what I'm doing? I don't even know the basics. I have always owned hot water tanks and furnaces.

Can anyone help with where to start a diagnosis?

Some help would be appreciated!

Les,
Here is a link to the Hydrohot guru, you can download the manual for your unit or jump on there and ask Roger any question.

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum.php

Les Brandt

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:13:06 AM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
Start by making sure it is full of antifreeze.  There is a low level switch that stops it from working.

Thanks Bill.

Checked that. Level is up to normal.

Les Brandt

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 05:15:03 AM »
Quote from: Lee Welbanks

Les,
Here is a link to the Hydrohot guru, you can download the manual for your unit or jump on there and ask Roger any question.

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/forum.php

Thanks Lee.

I have become a member of his forum. I just haven't delved in with both feet.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:17:38 AM »
Les,

The folks in this forum can and will have the answer to probably any question you could have about a Beaver Coach. Somebody in here has had the problem before and can give the answer.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »
Note which lamps are lit up on the controller panel on the wall in the HydroHot bay and let us know.  It may help those here trying to ferret out an answer.  Roger's forum can help, but the BAC has a member, Orman Claxton, more than a little familiar with these oft-cantankerous devices.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Les Brandt

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
Thanks Joel and Lee. I'll look more into it on the weekend and post what I find. I'm not yet retired and still have the "other thing" to do.

Jay and Raylene Todd

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »
Hi Les,

You said that the coolent level was "up to normal" which sort of leads me to believe you were checking the level in the expansion tank. Sometimes you can have fluid in the expansion tank but the level is down inside the burner unit itself. You need to take off the radiator cap on the top of the Hydro Hot unit itself and check. It should be completely full, right up to the top.

You also need to check specifically what lights are showing on the control panel in the bay. A very common fault is that you will find the "low voltage" light illuminated. That can happen when the batteries get too low or sometimes if you have a momentary loss of DC voltage. Next to that light is a small hole in the panel that should be labled "reset". You can use a paperclip to push - gently - the reset button.

If one or the other of those doesn't solve the problem, read the troubleshooting section in the manual that Lee sent you the link to. It's pretty easy to use and you can always ask more questions here on the forum. Several of us have had cause to dive pretty deeply into Hydro Hot issues.

Les Brandt

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »
Quote from: Jay and Raylene Todd
Hi Les,

You said that the coolent level was "up to normal" which sort of leads me to believe you were checking the level in the expansion tank. Sometimes you can have fluid in the expansion tank but the level is down inside the burner unit itself. You need to take off the radiator cap on the top of the Hydro Hot unit itself and check. It should be completely full, right up to the top.

You also need to check specifically what lights are showing on the control panel in the bay. A very common fault is that you will find the "low voltage" light illuminated. That can happen when the batteries get too low or sometimes if you have a momentary loss of DC voltage. Next to that light is a small hole in the panel that should be labled "reset". You can use a paperclip to push - gently - the reset button.

If one or the other of those doesn't solve the problem, read the troubleshooting section in the manual that Lee sent you the link to. It's pretty easy to use and you can always ask more questions here on the forum. Several of us have had cause to dive pretty deeply into Hydro Hot issues.

Thanks Jay. I'll have a look. That's exactly right. I looked at the reserve tank.

Les Brandt

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 03:50:20 AM »
Quote from: Jay and Raylene Todd
Hi Les,

I took the radiator cap off and it was full to the top. I tried pushing the reset with a paper clip and it didn't do anything. I noted when I had the electric button pushed inside that the red low battery light was on. I know my batteries have been low.

Orman Claxton

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »
Les
First thing, solve the Battery problem. Call me if you wish

Les Brandt

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 02:05:06 AM »
Quote from: Orman Claxton
Les
First thing, solve the Battery problem. Call me if you wish

Thanks Orman! I had the batteries checked today. Fully charged. I will give a call tomorrow AM.

Les Brandt

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:35:37 AM »
In speaking with Orman, we did some diagnosis. We tried resetting. Low Battery Fault still on. I disconnected the panel and reconnected. Low Battery Fault still on. I tested my batteries and they showed 12.6 on my meter. I tested power at the panel. It showed 13.6.

Orman suggests I need a new AQUA HOT/HYDRO HOT CONTROL BOARD - ELE-PC4-008. Anyone got a line on a reasonable priced one? I found two on eBay from $175-$325.

Les Brandt

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 02:38:17 AM »
Here is a picture of the board.