Author Topic: Cable TV and Bay TV Help  (Read 6091 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Cable TV and Bay TV Help
« on: June 26, 2014, 03:46:15 AM »
Since we have been having satellite dish issues we tried hooking up cable tv from the park.  I put the tv on a search and came up with four channels.  Did it again and came up with 12.  Larry tried later and came up with all 100+.  Now we are at a new park and again 12 channels.  I can't figure out what we are doing wrong!  We also have a very nice Samsung in the bay so we hooked the cable from the bay up to it and can get nothing.  Any ideas?  I've made sure the antenna boost is off.  We have three choices in the cabinet behind  the drivers seat.  ANT. AUX. VCR.  The Bose receiver is not installed however there is a VCR/DVD player in the cabinet next to the tv.

Thanks,
Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Cable TV and Bay TV Help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:33:02 AM »
Laura,
I was having that problem when the coach was new.  I found that the connector on the coach had a loose connection behind the partition where you connected the cable to the coach.  I would begin by checking that connection, if you are sure your TV antenna boost is off.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »
Also, check on your TV's pick selections.  I think my TV can be set to select only digital, only analog, or both when I have it automatically find and remember available stations.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 04:04:43 AM »
Ok thanks will have to check those two items out.  We have lost all cable tonight after the storm came through so a loose connection seems like it might be our problem.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 05:17:18 AM »
I've had bad cables too, Laura.  

If your line from coach to park post is very old and the fittings pass muster, the cable may be damaged inside.  After I finally bought a new length of coax with modern quality fittings instead of cheap crimped-on ones, my intermittent connection issues quit.  Then I went to Lowe's and got my own kit of quality coax tool and fittings and retrofitted my multiple home coaxes.  The old thin metal sleeved connectors aren't up to clean transmission of today's signals.

I also added fittings on the RV's coax connectors that convert them to simple sleeves, and no longer struggle with cold fingers in cramped conditions or inclement weather trying to get nuts started and tightened to hook up or disconnect TV cable.

As an aside, if you're at Indian RV Park in Buffalo, I've experienced bad electrical components before in their posts.  Whose to say it isn't endemic in the park and not exclusive of their Cable TV configuration.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 03:32:28 AM »
Joel,
We were at Indian and just arrived today at Ponderosa in Cody and all is working fine!  Haven't tried the bay tv since it has been raining since we arrived and we are only here for the night.  Will try them all out when we get to Yellowstone Grizzly.  Larry has a long list of items to check out and I'll be playing his gopher as usual.

Do you know if there is a switch somewhere for the bay tv?

Thanks,
Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
I don't have a bay TV, though there's a coax outlet and a 120v outlet in there.  I don't know why there'd be a switch but if so I'm sure someone here will tell you where.

If you're having trouble getting that TV to come on, be aware that most coaches have one GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet usually at the head of each circuit, much like your home circuits in baths and kitchens where water exposure is a hazard.  You might check all known outlets to see which are GFCI and may have tripped, killing the bay TV's outlet and all others on that circuit.  

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat