Author Topic: Water Pressure/water pump  (Read 26945 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Water Pressure/water pump
« on: July 04, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »
1.  I'm on city water at the CG.  Noticed that pressure is really low inside.  Noticed it last trip also but we were at a State Park so I thought that may be the reason.  Lots of pressure at the end of the hose.  Took off the water filter to check and still low.  Water pump on increases pressure.  Thoughts?

2.  Had water pump on and noticed that it doesn't stop running when I turn water off.  On my old 5er and on this I was looking for a leak.  None.  It doesn't stop.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance as usual.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

Re: Water Pressure/water pump
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
 Try and shut off the external pressure feed from the campground and purge air from the pump and tank line. The pump just pulls from the tank so be sure that the tank has plenty of water in it. It is hard to purge air in the pump feed line sometimes when the output side of the pump is facing the city water pressure. As far as low flow try changing the pressure regulator check valve to a higher pressure/flow one. That has helped many of us.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/chromed-abs-plastic-city-water-entry-chrome/7222

Later Ed

Larry Williams

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Try and shut off the external pressure feed from the campground and purge air from the pump and tank line. The pump just pulls from the tank so be sure that the tank has plenty of water in it. It is hard to purge air in the pump feed line sometimes when the output side of the pump is facing the city water pressure. As far as low flow try changing the pressure regulator check valve to a higher pressure/flow one. That has helped many of us.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/chromed-abs-plastic-city-water-entry-chrome/7222

Later Ed
Ed,

How does that pressure setting in the new device compare to the stock regulator setting? I have the same issue on not much city pressure and Ken at BCS recommended removing the stock regulator and installing an adjustable pressure regulator. But I have not been able to find an entry connector/check valve without a regulator.

Larry

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
Quote from: Edward Buker

Later Ed

I'm confused  (I know surprise), water pressure is pretty good from the water pump with or without city water on.  Also isn't the installed pressure regulator like 55 PSI?  
Thoughts on why water pump tuns continuously with no visible leaks?

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:56:12 PM »
There usually is a small screen in the port where your water hose connects to the coach.  I only say this because it's happened to me with a different MH, check to see if that screen is plugged with gunk.  If it is the pressure and flow can go way down.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
There usually is a small screen in the port where your water hose connects to the coach.  I only say this because it's happened to me with a different MH, check to see if that screen is plugged with gunk.  If it is the pressure and flow can go way down.

Not it!  

That appears to be the one on my coach!  I looked behind the round access plate on the water bay and I'm surprised any water can make it through that mess of hoses back there!
Still looking.
Thanks
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:44:22 PM »
Jerry,
Your coach probably has the 55 PSI version of this city water inlet. The one that Ed recommend is the 65 PSI version. It gives a lot better water flow.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 11:20:24 PM »
Jerry,

You can have one that looks like this but this newer version ups the pressure and the flow. Even when the campground supply is less than 65psi I have found that the flow at lower pressure is much improved. The older version is chromed plastic and looks the same but needs to be a 7222. They are cheap enough and I would change yours even if it was a 7222 to rule that out.

There can be several reasons the pump continues to run. One is it is bad and will not build pressure which does not seem to be your issue seeing it helps with flow. The cut out pressure switch could be bad. The check valve in the pump could be leaking back and losing pressure. The simplest issue that needs to be ruled out is to turn off the campground pressure feed, bleed off pressure in the coach using a faucet and then turn on the pump. Bleed air out of the faucets in the coach and shut the faucets off and then see if the pump pressure the lines up and shuts down reaching the cut off pressure. Air in the lines and pump can cause the pump to not build pressure and shut down.

If there are no leaks and this does not fix the issue then change the pump out. You do not want the old one to continue to run, it will burn itself out.

Later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »
Thanks Ed will do that tomorrow.

Gerald, I'm not sure I want to tackle that mess I saw behind that water inlet today.  I've seen better organized bowls of spaghetti!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 01:05:44 AM »
Is you water tank fill valve turned off?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 01:38:42 AM »
Quote from: Phil N Barb Rodriguez
Is you water tank fill valve turned off?

Yes.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 11:14:51 AM »
Had a similar problem.  Replaced the regulator / pressure valve but got the OEM from Beaver Coach parts.  Still solved the problem.
Good luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
I replaced mine with the 65 PSI version and the improvement was significant.  The water pump no longer runs as a supplement to shore water.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »
The same item appears to be available from Amazon for a dollar or two less plus free shipping (if you have Amazon Prime): http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-183-029-14-Chrome-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B002OUPFOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404573105&sr=8-1&keywords=SHURflo+183-029-14

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »
OK, I'm confused AGAIN!  Trying to purge the water lines as described above by Ed.  Turned off the shore water.  Filled the fresh water tank until it over flowed as I have no indicators other than Aladdin which is not working correctly yet.  Turned on pump, turned on kitchen faucet and it went down to a trickle then just sputtered once in awhile.  Turned on bathroom faucet, same.  Pump just seems to be pushing air.  Bad pump?
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH