Author Topic: Ceiling Light Lens - Removal  (Read 5709 times)

Mike Merchant

Ceiling Light Lens - Removal
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:48:43 PM »
Need to replace a kitchen ceiling light and can't get the lens off with fingertips and counterclockwise twist. Looking for any handy suggestions so I don't bugger up the vinyl ceiling. Bathroom under- cabinet seem similar and rotate off counter-clockwise.
                                                                                                                                                                    Mike

Edward Buker

Re: Ceiling Light Lens - Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »
Push in toward ceiling and use gloves with rubber grips if needed. Counter clockwise is correct.

Later Ed

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »
Mike,

I have sometimes resorted to a strap wrench while pushing up on the ring.

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:29:43 AM »
I know what you mean;  some of my halogen rings are snugged up pretty tightly to the ceiling material.  I've just used a section of the 'tacky' mesh rubbery sheets commonly used to keep stuff from sliding on RV countertops.  The Missus has the stuff all through the coach and for noise abatement between things in cabinets, so it's relatively handy.  Use it like Ed describes for rubber gloves.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »
I have used a soft rubber cane tip on a dowel you can push and turn.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Merchant

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »
Thanks for all the tips, should work out. Found a piece of thin, clear plastic in my shop which I'm going to try and shim between the vinyl and the glass lens to break any adhesion between the two, then on with the rubber gloves.
                                                                                                                                         Mike