Author Topic: Roof AC problems  (Read 6135 times)

Richard Higley

Roof AC problems
« on: July 12, 2014, 02:38:35 PM »
I have Dometic 630516 roof ACs on my coach. The front unit is icing up. I know that is usually caused by low freon and I'm not sure if these units can be serviced or not as I have conflicting answers. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rich

Paul Schwalen

Re: Roof AC problems
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
Rich,

Freezing is generally caused by not enough air flow.  Check your filter and also the coil for a buildup of dust, etx.

Paul

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »
Rich,
If you A/C unit is clean and has adequate air flow, the problem is probably a low refrigerant level. While the unit can be serviced if charging ports are added, it is not normally cost effective. The unit is 9 or 10 years old, and is not worth the cost of having the leak repaired and recharging the unit in most cases. Therefore, the normal service procedure is to just replace the unit itself.

Gerald

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »
Rich,
When I was back in Indiana, the techs told me that these AC units should always be operated on high fan setting when in high humidity.  He said that they were not very efficient and that when operated on low or auto settings for the fan, the air flow across the unit was not enough to sufficiently clear the coils of the condensation and they would tend to ice up which in turn will tend to shorten the life of the unit and will cause it to not work properly.  When we are in high humidity, we have kept the fan setting on high and have had no further problems.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »
Rich,

I just had to replace our front AC unit, like Gerald said you can't service them the EPA has made this type of AC tossers.  When up washing the roof I noticed the front AC unit leaked some green fluid either Freon or compressor oil.  So a new one was installed and we are back in business.

I sure had wished that freezing was my only problem.

Happy trails,

Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Richard Higley

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 04:55:49 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies. Had a tech out today and the ice sensor was the probable culprit as freon was full.  We are cool again however, as Gerald says, this unit is near the end of its life expectancy. Any more problems and I will replace it.

Matthew Harger

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 07:10:58 AM »
What A/C unit (make/model) are you guys replacing this with?