Author Topic: Dash AC Service Ports  (Read 14600 times)

Jerald Cate

Dash AC Service Ports
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »
Does anyone know where the AC service ports might be on a 2003 Patriot Lexington?  I've looked in the obvious places (compressor, front cap around the receiver/dryer and condenser).  I need to take my coach in for service and I'd like to be able to tell them where the ports are instead of paying shop time for them to locate the ports.  

Gerald Farris

Re: Dash AC Service Ports
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:29:54 PM »
Bruce,
I am not sure about the 2003 Patriot Thunder, but most of the 2003 Marquis coaches had the charging ports inside the front cap, above the generator, and to the driver's side of center. The ports on your Thunder will probably be in the same location.

Gerald

Jerald Cate

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:53:28 PM »
Gerald,

I've looked in that area but I may be overlooking them, I'll keep looking.  If they are up there how on earth do you access them for servicing?  Seems to me it would have been a lot simpler to install ports at the compressor it's right there in your face in the engine compartment.  Are there aftermarket adapters to move the ports to the compressor?

Bruce

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 01:05:51 AM »
Bruce,
There should be a set at the compressor in the engine compartment also.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 01:26:53 AM »
Bruce,
Yes, a set of service ports can be added at the compressor by any qualified A/C service shop, but the only coaches in the 2000 to 2003 era that had factory installed service ports at the compressor were the California 40 foot models. All of the other Marquis and Patriot coaches in that era that have charging ports at the compressor were aftermarket installations.

Gerald

Jerald Cate

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 02:17:50 AM »
Gerald,

I got my camera far enough above the generator to take a picture and I did find the low side (blue cap) port but I didn't find the high side yet.  I'm sure in that maze of stuff the high side port is in there somewhere but it's going to take someone more limber and less fluffy than me to get up there and find it.  I believe the first thing I'm going to ask the shop is can they install service ports at the compressor, if not, I'll take it somewhere else for that work.  The engineer that designed that installation obviously never had his hands on a wrench.

Bruce

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »
Bruce,
If you see the low side service port, the high side service port will be very close to the same area.

Gerald

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 02:56:41 AM »
What refrigerant is used in 02?  Can the automotive recharge canisters be used to top off the system or are they just too small?
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 03:03:39 AM »
Keith,
Assume it is 134, same as autos. My 2001 & 2001 both use it.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 03:16:54 AM »
Keith,
Your 2002 Marquis came with R 134A refrigerant, and yes the 12 ounce cans at Walmart or your local auto supply will work very well to top off the system. If you do not have a bad leak it will usually only take one can or two at the most.

Gerald  

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »
OK
Thanks Steve and Gerald.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
I bought the most expensive can they had at Autozone because it came with a nice gauge and longer hose that helps reach where Beaver put the service port.  It was on sale for about $45.   The expensive can came with a link to a YouTube for operator training.  In the training it shows how to set the gauge and squeeze the trigger when the compressor is running.  The compressor is on the engine and Beaver engineering called for the fill port to be on the front in a nearly hidden, hard to reach location.

The YouTube makes it pretty simple.  You only need one gauge.  You don't need the full set of two gauges and complicated hose set like Marty has.  I borrowed it just in case, but never found out how to to hook it up.  With the Autozone can and gauge, you only have one hose and the fitting only fits the right connection.    

The first time I tried it,  I ignored the part about the compressor running because I was at the front and could not see the back.  It helped cool the dash air a little, but it was not great.  In fact, I had myself convinced I needed "professional" service.  

At Hilton Head, I asked Gerald how to find quality "professional" service where they understood motorhome A/C.  His advice was to buy the cheapest can they had at Wal-Mart and service it myself.  He also suggested that it would not be unusual if I needed to do it about once a year on a ten year old system.

I bought the bottom shelf can at Wal-Mart for about $12.  At Dillard, Keith Cooper stood by the compressor and kept me informed as to when the compressor cycled on so that I knew when to squeeze the trigger.   Cell phones work better than shouting over the noise of the engine.

The A/C has been working well ever since Dillard, including the drive north on I-5 yesterday in 85 degree heat.  

If your service port is in the front, get help!

Jerald Cate

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:22:54 PM »
Bill,

I'd like to service it myself but knee surgery last week and even after losing 50 lbs I'm still to fluffy to stand up in the front cap to hookup a hose.  Is there some other way to get at the ports I haven't discovered?  

I got a chuckle about you 85 degree heat that's ideal weather for us.  Fortunately we haven't been over 100 yet but have flirted with it several times this year.  As soon as my knee heals we're going to get out of town before it does get hot.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 12:42:31 AM »
Quote from: Jerald Cate
Bill,

I'd like to service it myself but knee surgery last week and even after losing 50 lbs I'm still to fluffy to stand up in the front cap to hookup a hose.  Is there some other way to get at the ports I haven't discovered?  

I don't know your coach, but on mine there is access if I run the generator out.  I can't see it real well, but I can feel where it is.  With the longer hose on the kit I bought I can reach in and connect it.

Jerald Cate

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 02:11:18 AM »
Bill,

That's not an option for me, I have maybe 3" clearance above the generator with it run out.  To top that there's about a 3" cross-member right behind the front cap and above the generator.  Guess I'm going on a diet.