Author Topic: Changing Fan Belt on 10kw Onan Gen Set  (Read 15281 times)

Michael Carbonaro

Changing Fan Belt on 10kw Onan Gen Set
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:03:40 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I am going to attempt  to change the fan belt on my 10kw Onan gen set. Any and all info and suggestion's will be appreciated.

I have a Beaver 2000 Marquis Jasper C12.

I live in Ct not only are the taxes here unbelievably high and so is the service work. In Bridgeport Ct there is a Onan service center they wanted a $1000.00 to service my gen set so I am doing it myself so any and all info would be great.

Thanks
Mike

neil omalley

Re: Changing Fan Belt on 10kw Onan Gen Set
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:28:30 AM »
What part of CT Mike? Lived in Branford 35 years - now in the Seattle area. I miss CT. Good luck with your project.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:30:34 AM »
Mike, is your generator side mounted or front mounted?

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 02:33:38 AM »
Mike,

The hardest part is getting the back screws on the top genset cover off. They are a stretch to reach. You will have to work between the slide and the genset with the slide out. I would shut down both DC battery switches and the AC power while working in there. There is info in this thread about several size belts that may have been used and a tip on tightening the new belt using a 10 inch carpentry bar clamp. I think we learned that some years of this Onan Genset came with an alternator and some years had a tensioner pulley. The post refers to an alternator adjustment to tension the belt but you may not have one, however the procedure would be the same. The pulley width vs belt PN is on the chart notes that I added.

http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1302907037/s-6/highlight-onan+belt/#num6

It is a job that is doable but can be a bit frustrating as far as the cover bolts are concerned. Take your time and you will get there. You may want to check your service records and see if it has been done before in the last 4 years if the coach is new to you, that would save you a headache.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:56:01 AM by 910 »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:43:24 AM »
Mike,
The shop is probably going to pull the gen set out of the coach to replace the belt. The labor cost is what is running up the cost.  Other than ease of access, the other advantage to pulling it is the ability to easily check other components such as slip rings and brushes. Local shop here in the Phoenix area figured 7-8 hrs to pull, service, and reinstall the unit in our 01 Contessa, which had to be dropped out the bottom of the coach.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Michael Carbonaro

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 02:57:26 AM »
Hey Neal,

New Fairfield, taxes here are just through the roof we hit 13,400 this year in property tax you are not missing anything but your friends the cost to live on a fixed income is to much for us we are leaving at the end of August and going to Florida daughter moved there 2yrs ago. ($800. a yr in property tax I can handle).
Mike

Michael Carbonaro

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 03:11:03 AM »
Hey Tom
Hey Ed
Hey Steve

Side mount, I looked it over today with slide out makes it easier to get to looks like if I take top and right side bolts out hopefully I will just raise the top and take the side out I should get to the belt. I have a cam scope and look into the belt compartment it looks like I have a alternator.  

Yes the shop said that it would take 7 or 8 hrs to do the job and since I have plenty of time and not as much money I will attempt it myself a little cussing a few beers some moor cussing I think I might get it done.

Thanks
Mike

Michael Carbonaro

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 03:45:02 AM »
Hey Ed,
 Read your post on the gen set did I see a sensor on the thermostat and should I change that while I have the covers off and is there any other I should be looking for.

Thanks
Mike  

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 04:12:01 AM »
Mike,
IMHO if the t'stat is working I wouldn't change it.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 04:30:35 AM »
Mike,

There is a sensor in the photo that I put in my post. The sensor is not too expensive, so I bought one which I carry with me, but I chose not to change mine out when I did the belt. I am not convinced that a new one would last longer then the one that I currently have in there (which had been changed). I think you get a sensor that lasts or you don't and it is kind of luck of the draw which you will have on your genset. The belts and the sensors fail the most of any components that can cause an over heat shut down.

If you have the time add the wire mod to the sensor that I posted. You basically make a wire loop with a male and female spade lug so you can unhitch and measure through the sensor to ground without pulling the generator all apart. The measurement is now made from the access door. If you get the overheat fail shut down you will be able to tell if it is a bad sensor or a belt in the future.

If you knew it was the sensor that was bad you could bypass it temporarily if you had to. I gave some thought into making a sensor access plate in the top cover so I would be able to change that without the hassle but never got to that. I also thought of using some kind of push pins in place of the screws on the back of the cover but I just threw in the towel and put it back together.

I cannot think of anything that is prone to failing that you should change beyond the belt and maybe an air cleaner as a maintenance item. Antifreeze is a question, it may be time to put new in. That may be why the sensors tend to fail from deposits on them. Oil filter, oil, and fuel filter at some interval when due. Brushes seem to last a long time in these.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 05:05:47 AM »
Mike,
You will need to remove three panels from the generator enclosure to replace the belt. The top, the end towards the rear of the coach, and the panel between that end and the access door.

Gerald  

Michael Carbonaro

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »
Ok Everyone,

Thanks for all the info.  Ed I am going down to auto zone and see what kind of push pin they have I was thinking the ones they use on the doors but they are plastic. I will check for others I like that idea when I was checking the situation out I notice that the back roller was very close to the bolts so I think if they are has hard to get out as to put back push pin is the way to go.

Also Gerald besides the access door there is only 2 panels it is in a L shape from right front to right side and the top but I will find out when I start.

Will its off too breakfast with guys and I will begin the fun task of changing the fan belt. (YA RIGHT)

Thanks
Mike