Author Topic: Dash Air Charge Port For 2005 Monterey  (Read 11389 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Dash Air Charge Port For 2005 Monterey
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:46:59 PM »
I'd be cautious about that particular model, Bill.  I read some of the reviews on Amazon after checking your link.  The guage apparently has questionable accuracy and the "leak stop" chemistry can befoul things the next time the system undergoes repairs requiring exposure to air.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Matthew Harger

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 01:25:17 AM »
Joel-

Which product do you recommend and what pressure should I be filling to, if that's even the correct terminology ?

Thanks

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 04:00:43 AM »
Matthew,

First if you have a manual for your chassis it will tell you how many pounds to,fill the system.  Mine calls for 3 pounds of freon.  
Next, DO NOT TRUST THE GUAGE ON YOUR CAN! It is designed for automobiles and such, not 40 foot motorhomes with the long hoses.
I have used the stop leak I purchased at Walmart for about $27.  If you have another failure simply flush the system.

At your point I would take to a dealer or a a/c garage and have them put on a machine so they can do a vacuum test to see how bad your leak is and maybe where.  They can also put the proper amount of freon in your system.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 05:14:57 AM »
Check the condenser mounted on the air charge cooler if you have side radiator. Any signs of oil residue could be the leak. A rock nicked my condenser.  Also if the electric fan brackets come loose it will wear a hole in the condenser. Check that first.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 06:22:57 AM »
Matthew, I have no personal experience with these devices and am in no position to advise you.  I was only pointing out to Bill that many of the reviews of his purchased unit weren't encouraging.  My lack of experience in the area of AC recharging, and now having read those reviews and other Beaver's thoughts, leads me to prefer letting a pro do it, if it were my rig.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 08:27:45 AM »
Matthew,
The correct pressure readings are difficult if not impossible to give you because there are so many variables that will influence the pressure readings like location of charging ports, ambient temperature, and heat load from the evaporator core. Without knowing all of these, I can not give you the correct pressures.

If you want to add refrigerant to your dash air system, just add one can (12 ounces) and see how it cools. If it cools fair but not great after one 12 ounce can, add another, but if you need more than two cans the system probably needs a professional to look at it.

Gerald

Keith Duner

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 01:36:29 AM »
Well I took one more run at looking in the front cap with no luck (I should be able to walk again soon...). Then I went back to the engine bay and low and behold there it was, right on top of the compressor like Stan and some others has mentioned.  Hiding behind some wires. Thanks to everyone for the help, this forum is worth it's weight in gold!