Author Topic: King Sized Mattress idea  (Read 4709 times)

Lee Welbanks

King Sized Mattress idea
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:23:34 AM »
The king sized monster mattress in the Thunder was next to impossible to slide down to facilitate making the bed easier, especially with the felt like material on the frame top board. Oh and also the DW's bed skirt was a real PITA to keep straight and you know it had to be straight.

So I thought that if I arranged the skirt just perfect and shot a few staples to hold it in place and then cover the whole board top and skirt with a piece of vinyl flooring it would solve both problems. So off to Homedepot and picked up a remnant piece of cheap vinyl flooring 70" x 80". I liked to killed myself getting that king sized monster off the deck and standing up in the bedroom. On a side note it is interesting what is under that deck board and how it all slides in and out.

Got the skirt on and stapled down nice and pretty and placed the vinyl on top and screwed it down with Truss head screws about every foot or so, also I tucked about a inch of the vinyl under before screwing it down to give it a nice smooth edge. Flopped the monster mattress back on the deck and man what a difference. Now we won't break our backs making up the bed.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:33:04 AM by 5 »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: King Sized Mattress idea
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:45:53 AM »
Lee,
Good idea. Just don't put that monster up against a halogen puck light. When time to replace a Sleep Number worked well for us in the Contessa; light and easy to make up. Only downside was cost. We replaced the original Spring Air in the Marquis with a light-weight Serta that sleeps very well. Others here have also had good things to say about a Costco mattress.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
Steve,

We thought about a different mattress but this one is just like new and is so nice to sleep on and when the time comes lighter will be on the menu. Have never tried a air mattress and they are really proud of them at the store.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
Lee,
I know re price. We bought one from our neighbor as he didn't like it. Secret is to have a good pad of memory foam on top. Otherwise they feel like an old fashion air mattress (IMHO). Also you need AC for the compressor. On the Contessa, the night stand AC outlets were on the reefer circuit so we had no power when running on batteries. Had to rewire.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
Steve,

We use a mem-foam on top of the one we have and it really makes it nice. In the Thunder they must have had a air bed as a option because there is a 120 V outlet under the platform top and there is enough room for the compressor setup. Interesting how the frame and slide ram along with all the hoses, wires etc. Also there is a heater rad and fan under there.
In the picture you can make out the 120 V outlet at the top along with all the other monkeymotion that's going on.