Author Topic: Noisey slide  (Read 9618 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Noisey slide
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:12:21 AM »
What did you all use to lube the slide?  I haven't looked yet but on the last trip my wife pulled in the slide as I was doing my final walk around.  It wasn't overly slow, as if I have enough experience to tell, but it was very noisy with a loud squeal.  Found this thread while searching for the problem and this sounded promising.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

Re: Noisey slide
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:48:47 AM »
Jerry,

Not sure what the squeal was but a first guess would be the perimeter rubber seal that rubs the fiberglass walls as it closes. There is no real lube for that seal. You may be able to listen and see where the noise is coming from.

As far as the mechanical moving parts I have been using this synthetic clear super lube with Teflon. It tends to stay on things and is not too messy. Wherever there is metal on metal moving parts on the bedroom slide mechanism I will use some. I use motorcycle chain spray sparingly for the chain.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=superlube+synthetic+grease&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31578755477&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6140909155103658106&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3k2uvl8dig_b

Later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:55:34 AM »
Thanks Ed, I'll take your advice.

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »
Jerry,
Waxing the sides of the slide can help the gasket slide. CW sells a spray  lube and conditioner for the gaskets but not sure how effective it is.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
Steve, Jerry,

The wax idea would certainly not hinder in any way and can only help. I had a buddy of mine that had a big Honda Gold Wing. I always admired the shine and asked him one day what he used. Turns out it was Johnson Pledge. Just sprayed it on and wiped it off. That may be a handy cleaner wax/film format for this slide sidewall area. A good automotive spray wax would also do the trick.

Later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »
Thanks Steve and Ed, the pledge idea reminds me of an accidental over spray of armor all that happened to me when I was young and dumber than I am now.  I had a pretty black Trans Am, 1977 Smokey and the Bandit model.  I got some armor all on the RR fender while putting some on the tires.  I wiped it off and didn't think much of it.  I owned that car for ten years and that RR quarter shined 10 Xs better then the rest of the car up to the day my wife wrecked it.  Hmmmm, maybe I'll try it.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »
Pledge is great. Used it for quick "spit shines" in the Marines (hope my DI isn't reading this....)
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »
Quote from: Steve Huber Co-Admin
Pledge is great. Used it for quick "spit shines" in the Marines (hope my DI isn't reading this....)
Steve

Lots of us used it on core frams.  I was a navy Company Commander like a DI, and I taught my recruits that trick.  Then I wouldn't let them wear core frams for inspections.  Only daily wear if they went that route.

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 08:07:18 PM »
Jerry,
Be careful about spraying anything on the slide seals that will leave a wet film, because of the problem with attracting dust and dirt.

The slide seal should have some drag against the side of the slide to facilitate the seal lip turning over as the slide travels. On the latter model Monaco built coaches, there was actually an abrasive strip on the side of the slide to flip the seal lip as the slide moved in or out.  

Gerald

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 08:12:03 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Jerry,
Be careful about spraying anything on the slide seals that will leave a wet film, because of the problem with attracting dust and dirt.

The slide seal should have some drag against the side of the slide to facilitate the seal lip turning over as the slide travels. On the latter model Monaco built coaches, there was actually an abrasive strip on the side of the slide to flip the seal lip as the slide moved in or out.  

Gerald

Thanks will do!

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 02:05:18 AM »
Yes, ours has the strip of rough stuff that Gerald mentions, so the seals will turn over properly.  And everything I've read says to just keep the seals clean - do not apply any so-called treatment, like those products commonly seen in RV stores supposedly for the purpose.  

But somehow Jerry's thread got sidetracked to seals and away from his question.

Seems there was something in the Good Sam newsletter or somewhere recently about slide lubrication.  I think dry lube is best for anything exposed to weather, to keep road dirt and ambient dust from sticking to gears and screws, and the article basically concurred, recommending one made by Protect All.  Either dry silicone, or Teflon lube would be my preference (dry PTFE).  The problem with both of those in this application, though, is they are not meant for heavy load situations, and I'd think slide mechanisms qualify there.  I'm not sure what BCS uses, and since they do most of that kind of maintenance for me, I've not actually had to lube our rig's slide mechanisms myself.

I do have, similar to Ed, a Teflon grease I use for limited applications.  It's used on bicycle mechanisms, and though not a dry form, spendy, and hard to find anywhere but bike shops, it works really well for chains and other uses as long as it's something you clean and relube regularly.

If I were you Jerry, I'd get under there and inspect and clean the drive mechanism parts.  Don't use a power washer (not that that would be particularly easy to do in close confines) as you don't want to jeopardize any rams.  A good brushing with grease cutter and rinse, and drying spell, and then try some PTFE or other dry lube and see if things quiet down.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:18:53 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 03:17:22 AM »
Joel,
I was under the impression that Jerry was referring to his bedroom slide, and if so, there is virtually nothing to clean and very little to lube.

Gerald

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 03:53:57 PM »
Gerald is right I was referring to the bed room slide.  I was wondering what and where to lube.  The slide was pretty loud when she retracted it so it worried me that something needs attention.  After my fuel filter issue where everyone has said that it appears to be the original filter after 11 years and 34000 miles I'm a little worried that the coach has been neglected.  The outside and interior is not perfect but has certainly been loved.  The mechanics may be another story.  I've seen issues about the electric brake on the forums also which makes me wonder what I can do to avoid, as much as possible, serious issues.  
So back to the question, is there anything under there (rear slide) that I should be doing to lubricate, tighten or otherwise show some love to?
As always thanks for your help.
Jerry
PS...Gerald, mobile RV guy coming today to look at the suspension issues, wish me luck!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »
Jerry,

If the slide is going in and out without much of an issue then do not make yourself crazy worrying about it. There is not much maintenance to that system unless you have some trouble to resolve. I have a situation where one piece of angle steel rubs on another which looked like a build defect. I put some of that Super Lube on that area of steel to reduce friction and it has been fine. That issue is not typical. I lubed the chain drive while I was in there but that chain will never have a wear issue. If I am in there for a reason, like in my case with the locked brake issue, then I look around and do what makes sense at the time. I do not go looking for trouble unless something has changed and then it is time to sort things out.

Enjoy your coach and over some period you will find any real issues and resolve them. The most likely common problems are with tires and batteries.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 07:14:33 PM »
My bad.  You guys are more telepathic than me.  I didn't suspect the electric drive bedroom slide since the word "lube" threw me, and I don't associate slide seals with that word.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat