Author Topic: Three Segment Mirrors Adjustment  (Read 5130 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Three Segment Mirrors Adjustment
« on: August 29, 2014, 02:02:57 AM »
When the electrical adjustment is at it's limits, how do you adjust the mirrors?  On most cars you just reach out and push it where you want it to go.  I know it can't be that easy on the Beaver, nothing is easy on the Beaver.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Three Segment Mirrors Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:53:36 AM »
That sounds like something we all say at one time or another! It can't be easy. We just had a mirror loosen on our trip this summer.

I hoped that the screws and nuts would be accessible from dash area, I pulled the dash top apart and sealed solid.....well, down under the front cap must be the only way for access to the nuts.

I elected for my 14 year old to get up under the front cap, wrong idea! He started whining immediately that he couldn't hold the nuts while I turned the screws. The wife volunteered to go under the front and we managed to get 7 out of eight removed and replaced with stainless hardware after about 2 hours.

It can't always be easy, or quick, but things on the Beavers can be done, one way or another!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:36:32 AM »
Jerry,

There are moveable joints in the arm and mirror base on most mirrors. There are fasteners that usually must be loosened to allow adjustment unless they have been tightened just enough to allow friction adjustment with some force. The arm/mirror frame would be moved enough to provide the view that you need plus a small amount to allow the motorized mirror adjustment not to be at the limit of its range when adjusted properly. Some basics of the arm/mirror adjustment here.

http://www.fmca.com/polks-top-7/3161-polks-top-7-tips-for-maximizing-your-motorhome-mirrors.html

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »
On my 06 Thunder there are allen head 3/16 (I think) set screws where the mirror head mounts to the arm. Take off the chrome with a small screwdriver insert allen wrench loosen up the set screw and move the mirror head, trial and error to find out where you like it. A little advise: Take the set screws all the way out and put a dab of anti-seize on each, makes life much easier later.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »
Thank you all.  I think I have enough info to try it.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 08:08:52 PM »
On mine the little plugs either fall out too easily or are a bugger to pry out without damaging something.  That accomplished, the set screws may not budge, which is why Lee recommends the anti-sieze... if you can move them in the first place.  Even my BCS techs don't seem to want to mess with them.  

If memory serves, when my mirror motor reached its limit the one time some years back, and I couldn't find a way to move the arm or housing, I discovered I could manually turn the mirror within the housing enough to gain back some room for the motor to work.  But be careful - your Patriot may have different mirror configurations than my Monty, so don't force internal drive gearing or something that doesn't want to cooperate.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 12:04:41 AM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
On mine the little plugs either fall out too easily or are a bugger to pry out without damaging something.  That accomplished, the set screws may not budge, which is why Lee recommends the anti-sieze... if you can move them in the first place.  Even my BCS techs don't seem to want to mess with them.  

If memory serves, when my mirror motor reached its limit the one time some years back, and I couldn't find a way to move the arm or housing, I discovered I could manually turn the mirror within the housing enough to gain back some room for the motor to work.  But be careful - your Patriot may have different mirror configurations than my Monty, so don't force internal drive gearing or something that doesn't want to cooperate.

Joel
Joel the first thing I did was try to push mirror a little but it was solid so I quit not wanting to break it.  I'll spray some WD-40 on the screws and let it sit for a few days and then try.  Thanks
Jerry

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH