Author Topic: Power Gear Auto Level System Dead  (Read 3904 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Power Gear Auto Level System Dead
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:27:14 PM »
This is an extension to my previous post regarding the replacing of the phenolic panel on the left side of the driver.  I have completed the change out of the old panel for the new one and through the use of labeling wires, connected everything back up and everything except for one item works fine.  The issue is with the air leveling control panel.  This is on a '08 Patriot Thunder with the Power Gear Valid air level system, I have no hydraulic leveling.  When I hooked everything back up, I am unable to turn the control panel on using the power button when the key is off.  When I turn the key to the on position, the power button light comes on without pushing the power button as does the "park" indicator.  The power button stays lit for about 6 seconds and then shuts off.  I am unable to turn it back on.  While it is lit for the 6 seconds, selecting either the travel button or auto button only results in a double beeping sound and does not do anything else, then the system turns off after the 6 seconds.  When I turn the key from the on position to off, the power and park lite up again for about a second and turn off.  I have checked all connections and all seem secure.  I do recall that when I started the panel change out process, the power light was not on at the time but if I recall that is not unusual if it has been sitting for an extended period of time.  When I start the coach it airs up fine but because I have no lights on the Valid control panel, it doesn't show that it is in Travel mode.  Any ideas on what might be wrong?  I am planning to attend the Memphis Elvis Rally on September 11th and I had set up a service appointment with Lee Smith in Chattanooga after the rally to look at some other items on the coach.  Can I safely drive the coach with out a functioning air leveling controller?  I know I obviously would not be able to level the coach when I get to my destination, but can I get to where I want to go?  Thanks, sorry for the length of this.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Gerald Farris

Re: Power Gear Auto Level System Dead
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:41:33 AM »
Norm,
My suggestion would be to call Power Gear technical support Tuesday morning, and discuss the circumstances with them. The can probable walk you through the trouble shooting process, and resolve your problem. If you can not get in touch with Power Gear, you might try Ken Carpenter at BCS (Beaver Coach Sales).

An inoperative air leveling system should not cause any problems when driving the coach. You just need a very level pad to park on, since you can not level otherwise.

Gerald

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »
Thanks Gerald.  I did speak to a gentleman at Power Gear Valid who advised me not to drive the coach until the control issue was resolved.  He thought it was probably either a bad control panel or possibly one or more terminals had come loose in the connection cord.  He said that a reset of the system would only possible if I could turn the system on.  He would be happy to send me a new panel but did not give me a price.
I then called BCS.  Ken was not in but I did speak to Shawn at some length.  He agreed that without proper diagnostic tools it would be hard to say what was at fault.  He did say that if the coach aired up properly there should be no reason that I could not drive it to a service center or use the coach, just park on a level surface.
Well, when I returned from dinner last night at my daughters, I went out to the coach to close the windows because of expected rain.  When I looked at the control panel, the power light and the park light were lit.  I pushed the power button off and on and the system responded like it should.  I then turned the key on and was successful in leveling the coach.  For some reason, everything is performing as it should.  Electronics, go figure.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 08:12:56 PM »
As you probably know, it may not stay fixed, Norm.  Be sure to have someone check out the unit's connections first chance you get.  Something's probably not in full contact somewhere.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat