Author Topic: coach stability  (Read 6322 times)

Roger Bowton

coach stability
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
We have an 06 Monterey that seems to be very unstable when someone is walking around.  When we park I let the air out and then hit the air button to level. The coach seems to go through the process and then shut down but it is very unstable when someone i s moving around. Everyone said that the HWH air was good but J am wondering if I needed jacks as well? We just purchased the coach and didn't really seem to notice this when looking at it?  Any ideas ?

Re: coach stability
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
I have noticed the same problem with my coach.  Seems to be an inherent problem floating on air bags.  Fortunately I have jacks as well.  So for overnighting we use the air, longer stays the jacks go down.  I have seen this discussed before and don't believe there is a solution.

Tom Rogers

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »
REPORTING IN FROM RAINY OREGON !!!

Have a similar situation except we find more movement with the 3 jacks down. Not sure after time we'll get used to it. If anyone has an answer ..... please give us some input.

Jim Gill

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:01:15 PM »
We have the same movement problem with our 06 Monterey equipped with air bags but no leveling jacks.

The only method we have found to mitigate the movement when parked is to dump the air and see how close to level we are without pushing the auto-leveling button...paved sites are quite often level and require no additional leveling. If the level bubble on our dashboard and our butts all say that we're close to level, we do nothing else. Then the only movement is a result of sitting on the six inflated pressure chambers (the tires) under the coach...without jacks, there isn't much you can do about this movement.

Since you can compress air but not liquids, I have always questioned the engineering wisdom of leveling coaches utilizing the air suspension system. I believe the logic was related to heavier coaches not being adequately supported by 3 or 4 leveling pads which could easily sink into a soft gravel or paved surface. Further, some young engineer probably determined that by utilizing the air suspension system for this task, you could save the cost of including a hyrdaulic leveling system in the base price of a coach.
Jim

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 12:30:25 AM »
REPORTING IN FROM HAILING OREGON!!!   ;)

I guess it doesn't bother us because we've been motor-homing for 25 years.  Our original coach had 4 electric jacks (no air system except for "air springs"), which made for a very stable rig when parked, and when the site's surface was up to the task.  But a lot of the time we didn't put the jacks down for various reasons, and just put up with the coach rock as we moved about.  After all, it was supposed to be camping, not lounging in a stick-built house with a foundation.  We got used to it and figured it went with the territory.  The jacks had mechanical issues from time to time, and quite frankly I was glad not to have to deal with that on our new coach.  The air system and heavy suspension are more stable when camped than the old rig without its jacks down, so we don't complain.

Our '06 Monterey doesn't have hydraulic jacks, which was just fine with me since I'd heard so many stories over the years about their problems, and didn't see any value given the extra cost to add them.  I suppose because we're used to some coach movement, it doesn't bother us much.  In the winter on the Oregon coast, the rig can bounce around a lot when 50 mile an hour squalls pass through, but we just batten the hatches, maybe pull in a slide or two, and enjoy the show - it goes with the territory.  You're sitting on airbags that are sitting on tires;  things are gonna bounce.

Most of the time we get parked, put out the slides so the torque and balance are set, then auto-level.  If the site is off quite a bit, I may dump the bags first, then either auto-level or manually level as appropriate.  Usually I only dump air first if I know the entry step will otherwise end up uncomfortably high for my wife to negotiate easily.

In time you may get used to the coach movement, like a lot of us, but if it really bothers you that much, then by all means get a jack system.  But be prepared for the cost, and know you're adding another system that can fail on you down the road.

-Joel
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:36:17 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »
Addendum:

You know, if you are new to this coach and motor homes in general, it probably would behoove you to have an experienced facility like Beaver Coach Sales in Bend check your air system and suspension.  Without actually walking around in your rig, feeling exactly what you are feeling, we are only giving you our experienced opinion from afar, and there may be something else going on that we haven't seen or thought of.  

Not to get off-topic, but since tire inflation may be, however minimally, related to it, if you can get to the FMCA rally in Redmond this August, then be sure to sign up for the RVSEF analysis of your coach weight distribution following the rally, as well as their safe driving course.  When my RV tires have been somewhat overinflated, I've noticed improved handling characteristics.  When inflated less, the ride can significantly improve.  You have to put priority on safety, though.  Proper tire inflation for the load specific to your particular coach axles is extremely important, and RVSEF does a great job of clueing you in to proper safety maintenance on these big rigs.  It's quick and worth the minimal cost to have peace of mind, protecting yourselves as well as the rest of us on the road with you.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »
Quote from: Jim Gill
...Further, some young engineer probably determined that by utilizing the air suspension system for this task, you could save the cost of including a hyrdaulic leveling system in the base price of a coach....

The bad news is the air leveling system is an option they charge for!  Our, new to us 2008 Contessa Westport 42, has the all air leveling system.  Other than the air compressor cycling problem I finally fixed, we're okay with the gentle movement.  In fact, coming from boating, the gentle movement is preferred by my wife for sleeping  :)

Gil