Author Topic: Sun visor will extend but not retract  (Read 5273 times)

Roger Rempe

Sun visor will extend but not retract
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
I have an '06 Monterey and the driver side power sun visor will extend but not retract. Previously, it would retract but very slow compared to extracting. I checked and made sure that the scissor extender is not binding on anything. Anyone else had this happen and any suggestions where I should start troubleshooting?  :-/

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Sun visor will extend but not retract
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
I found a loose set screw on the mechanism that caused this problem on mine. The weight of the shade was apparently enough to allow it to drop when activated but not to retract.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:14:05 PM »
I am in the process of something similar.  One of my bedroom window's automatic Roman night shades will not retract (raise) but will extend (lower).  Obviously, now that it won't retract the window is blocked.  I do not know if your power sun visor uses the same motor as my power shades, but here is what I have found out regarding the bad motor in my coach.

1) The manufacturer of the blinds is Hunter Douglas.  I am not sure who manufactured the motors for Hunter Douglas.
2) The motor manufacturer stopped production of the motor in 2010.
3) Replacement motors have been readily available until the past year or two.  It's sounding like the inventory is running out.
4) The original Hunter Douglas blind had a five year warranty and typically would last seven to eight years, depending upon use.
5) The Dealer Service Center for Hunter Douglas is looking for a replacement motor for me - started looking today.
6) Most newer model motors are too large to fit into the blind's headrail installed in my coach.
7) I have sent an email to Beaver Coach Sales' Parts Department asking if they have a motor on their shelf.  BCS has not replied yet.
8) The likely option for me, assuming a replacement motor is not available, is to make the Roman shade into a manual raise/lower blind.

I hope yours is not the same motor as that found in my power window blinds.

PS: I have no idea how or why the smiley face got put up there.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:44:28 AM by 235 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »
I will have a good set of sun shades that I will have at Kerrville
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Roger Rempe

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »
Thanks for the feedback...this forum is great. I usually do a search of all the numerous problems that we've had since buying our Beaver in February from Lazy Days in FL and at least I get an idea of what I'm up against. Too many expensive problems to list here in a rant. The DW and I are full time RVers and are headed to Paso Robles, CA to get a new Aqua-Hot installed. That should bring the cost of repairs that I've had to make to nearly $18K so far...ouch! Now this happens to add to the list. Like playing whack a mole with our budget.
I'm surprised that if it's a motor issue it will still travel down but not up. But, understandable as we had an electric awning that would go out but not in. $1500 for a new motor on that. Was wondering if the control switch might be kaput and not sure how to test that. The mounting screws appear okay. I'll recheck them before just removing the shade unit for now. Perhaps the Aqua-Hot service tech will have a diagnosis.
David, temp solution would be to borrow your smiley face's shades...LOL!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:07:27 PM by 28255 »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 03:41:43 PM »
Bill at the Hunter Douglas DSC (Dealer Service Center) got back to me yesterday afternoon about locating a replacement motor.  He found three motors in the whole nation.  He has ordered the one motor found in California for my replacement.  The cost, all in, for this repair will be between $150 and $200 - $125 for the motor and the remainder for freight and labor.  I have to get my Roman blind to the DSC in Colorado, the DSC will install the new motor, and the blind will be sent back to me.  Then I have to put the blind back onto the window... and put everything back together... including putting the TV back in place which had to be removed to unplug the leads for the blind.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 03:56:14 PM »
Roger,
If the motor runs when you try and retract the shade and it does retract if you help it with some upward pressure on the shade bottom, the motor itself is probably OK with the problem being with the drive assembly.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp