Author Topic: IPCW LED Tail lights  (Read 15708 times)

JimNCheryl Domenoe

IPCW LED Tail lights
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:29:30 AM »
I have searched the threads but have not found what I am looking for. I would like to change to LED Tail lights, but not with a simple change to an LED replacement bulb. I was looking around the Web and saw LED Tail light housings that seem to be a direct replacement for the stock lights.  Has anyone used these, or any similar replacement lights? It is my belief that these would be far superior to an LED bulb.

Here is the link to the lights I am referring to. http://www.autoanything.com/lights/ipcw-led-tail-lights

I have a 2000 Marquis so the 1999 Navigator lights should work.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: IPCW LED Tail lights
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:50:50 AM »
Try 98 Ford Econoline van . I think 97 had separate turn from brake and 98 and up were all in one (brake/turn).
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:58:54 AM »
Our coaches use 99 Lincoln Navigator headlamp assy's not tail lamps.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:22:24 AM »
Quote from: Jim Nichols
Try 98 Ford Econoline van . I think 97 had separate turn from brake and 98 and up were all in one (brake/turn).

Ok. Thanks.  I found the LED replacement for a 1998 Econoline.  Does anyone have any experience with these?

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
I haven't met anyone who is willing to part with the dollars to try them. Maybe 4 years ago they were $50 to $75 more than todays prices.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
[size=14]What tail light assay does the 2003 Marquis use? Does it use the 98 Ford Econoline too? Anyone know?[/size]

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:18:38 PM »
Yes you are correct
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Doug Allman

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
Jim, Does it make any sense at all to change bulbs in running and tail lights to LED. Everything I seem to read says you get dimmer lights with the LED bulbs. I would have thought different.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
Yes it pays to change but not just to led bulbs. In reference to clearance or running lights, change to a sealed led assembly (assy) no moisture and dust or dirt issues. Leds can be seen in the bright sun easier and farther away. (My opinion).  In tail lights we have dust entering either at the bulb socket or the lens seals. If you pull your lamps right now from the t/l assy's you will find a film of dust on the bulb and if so also inside the lens assy's. I have put plumber's grease around the seal of the socket (it will not deteriorate the rubber) to help with dust. Some of our lens have a weep hole on the outside and dust finds its way in and up from the clear backup to the red.  You can change to led bulbs but make sure that each individual led is square and flat and surrounds the sides as well as the top. They are more expensive than the led bulbs with little glass buttons just on the top. But also remember the dust issue. Someday I may invest in the completely sealed led t/l assy's. 4 years ago those assy's were $350 plus freight,  now I see $250 including freight.  On our Beaver I have installed stop/turn/tail 12" led light bars up high as well as replacing the 3rd brake with the same led lamp using only the stop part of the light for brightness.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 10:12:14 PM »
While we're on this subject, does anyone know where the tail light assemblies on a 2000 Patriot or Thunder came from?  They look similar to the Econoline ones discussed in this thread, but we have separate backup lights.  

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 11:31:23 PM »
I think it is a 98- 02 lincoln navigator. Single 1157 stop/tail/turn bulb.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

neil omalley

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 04:13:35 AM »
Jimmy: one of these days I need you to install those lights for me:)

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 04:39:56 AM »
January, Indio and Quartzsite.  Email is oneguyinlabor@gmail.com let me know so I'll have the lamps and supplies and the time.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 04:08:22 AM »
OK, I finally got around to changing out my stock tail light housings on my 2000 Marquis.  As you may know, the headlights, driving lights and tail lights are sourced from a Lincoln Navigator of that era, and all but the driving lights were modified in some fashion to fit the coach.

I ended up purchasing a set of LED replacement tail lights made by IPCW.  I purchased model # LEDT-501EC, which are the clear version of the lights.  They also make another version with smoked lenses.  I paid around $212 for the pair, plus tax in California at Auto Anything.  Here is the link http://www.autoanything.com/lights/ipcw-led-tail-lights

These lights, although they fit a Navigator, are really designed for a 1997-2002 Ford Expedition.  The difference is, Lincoln Navigators do not have the back-up lights integrated into the tail light housing as they have separate back- up lights adjacent to the license plate.  The Expedition on the other hand, has integrated back up lights.  There are no aftermarket LED replacements I could find that were specifically for the Navigator with no back-up light provision.  What that means is that there is an empty receptacle on the lights.  I decided that I would use this space to put an addition LED bulb into to serve as an extra stop light.

Before I began the actual work, I hooked up a lead to test the new LEDs to compare with the old single bulb incandescent light from the original tail light.  All I can say is that there is a (pun intended) night and day difference in light output and visibility between the two.

What I found is that there are four issues to solve when using these lights.  First, the connection for the new light fixture was a wedge base, not the bayonet base of the old lights.  Second, the attachment points on the new lights were not going to work through the thick fiberglass since they were too short.  I would have to replace them.  Third, in order to use the bottom (back-up light) receptacle, I had to find a new bulb socket and red bulb.  And last but by far least, I had to modify the tail light cutout area on the motorhome to fit the new light fixtures since they had a much different rear profile.

I solved the first problem by going to my local Napa Auto Parts store and sourcing two part number LS6258 light sockets.   These have a wedge base bulb holder (designed for a dual function bulb) and had the correct “ears” to fit the hole in the tail light housing where the bulb would normally fit.

For the second problem, I unscrewed the studs from the original tail light housings to use in the new lights.  The new housings had a short stud with no threads that I believe are used in conjunction with a metal cap to secure it through the relatively thin sheet metal of the Expedition.  After removing and cleaning up the old studs, I threaded them into the plastic holes as far as I could then used JB Weld to further secure them onto the housing.  I let them dry overnight before trying to put any strain on them.

The third problem was handled partly at Napa by ordering two parking lamp connectors, part number EC135, and a connector with the wiring pigtail attached.  I probably could have found a similar connector with a pigtail already attached but opted for the ease of being able to detach the wiring from the bulb socket.  Total price for all the connectors and sockets was around $90. After I shopped online for hours I ended up buying a set of 3156-RHP28-T LED bulbs from Superbrightleds.com.  They were decidedly pricey at $24.95 each, but were the brightest ones I could find at a rated 500 lumens. Link to these lights: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/3156-led-bulb--single-intensity-28-high-power-led/1645/

The third problem was a bit more complex and was a bit of trial and error.  Because of the electronics required for the LED operation and the addition of the additional back-up light receptacle, modification of the fiberglass behind the tail light housing was required.  I used an air grinder with a metal tip to cut away fiberglass to fit the different contours of the light housing.  Fortunately, the fiberglass is quite thick and I didn’t worry about losing structural integrity by cutting away as much as I needed to, to make the lights fit.
After several sessions of grinding and trial fitting, I got the housing to sit in the corners as good as the originals.  I noted that each side was a bit different and required different grinding to get them to fit properly.  I then used the three original nuts and washers to re-secure the housings.

All that was left was to connect the wires to the original tail light loom, after cutting off the original bulb socket.  I chose to use a terminal strip so that I could easily remove one or both of the lights’ wires.

As I mentioned earlier, the difference was profound and in my opinion, was well worth the effort and expense.  The LEDs should last a lifetime and will save power while providing unmatched rear lighting, and modernize the look of the coach.

I can provide a full description and additional pictures of the process if you have any further interest in doing this to your coach.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 05:41:42 AM »
Excellent job and description of your work. Envious!
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9