Author Topic: Battery bay pictures please  (Read 14253 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Battery bay pictures please
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »
It also sounds like the transfer switch could be bad.  I just went through that on mine.  I wound up having a bad inverter also but I went in circles for awhile because the inverter was still working to supply power to the coach even without having shore power. (does the inverter work, as in charge and pass through 115 on generator?)  After changing the transfer switch it still would not pass the 115 through or charge the batteries.  After buying a Magnum inverter I discovered that it does not do some of the same stuff the Xantrx did causing me to have to buy some extra items.  The magnum does not have an internal battery monitor to monitor the state of charge of the house batteries.  It also does not have internal gen start function like the Xantrex does.  This was an added expense of around $500 to have the same capabilities with the magnum.  To make matters worse I now have a friend that is an authorized Xantrx and Magnum repair tech and he tells me he could have fixed it!  ARRRGGG!

Good luck
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »
William,

If you turn off the inverter/charger and the shore power, leave the battery switches on, and then measure the house and chassis battery voltages with a digital meter at the main battery terminals that have the red wire and black wire leads that go to the coach attached to them. Record the house and chassis battery bank voltages. They will not be exactly the same.

Then go to the large red and black leads at the inverter charger and measure the DC voltage there. It will very closely match the voltage that you recorded for one of the battery banks given there is no load or charging going on. The one that is very close or the same is the one that is connected to the charger inverter. This avoids any confusion from a signal tracer. If that happens to be the chassis battery bank plus lead then you need to exchange the main plus leads on the two banks that head to the coach.

Later Ed

William Brosam

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »
was too tired to check last night, these 14 hour work days are kicking my butt,

im starting to think that the the transfer switch or the passthrough part of the inverter is malfunctioning, because ever since i bought the coach if the inverter was turned off no power in coach.

but it used to keep the batteries charged.

maybe ill have the energy this evening to go poking about.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
William,
If your A/C units are working on shore power, the transfer switch is working.

Gerald

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
On mine the ACs worked on generator only.  That's when I figured out the transfer switch was bad.  The shore power relay in the transfer switch was the part that was bad.
That's why I asked if things were working on generator and not on shore.  It really had me running in circles until I did some studying after a conversation with Gerald that got me going in the right direction. Jerry
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:44:50 AM by 13078 »
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 01:31:56 AM »
William if your coach has a remote inside which most do you turn your inverter on there but leave the switch on the inverter itself off. Jerry at least with the Magnum you have a pure sine wave inverter now that will last you for years. I hope you kept your old freedom inverter because most likely it was just a fuse or one of two circuit boards that need rebuilt or replaced. They are in the front right corner after you take the lid off. Your Freedom would make a good spare or power a stick built house if needed at any rate working it is worth over 1,000 dollars. William your inverter has two separate systems one to convert 12v power to 120 and one to charge the batteries. Looks like maybe the battery charger could be bad or it could be a fuse there is one in particular between the positive cable from the house batteries to the inverter  that could be blown. Gerald and Ed can surely help you test your voltage. I also had a problem with a shorted out cable that runs between the inverter and the remote. I had to run a new cable. (on a freedom 2,000)

William Brosam

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »
Quote from: Gary Wolfer
William if your coach has a remote inside which most do you turn your inverter on there but leave the switch on the inverter itself off. Jerry at least with the Magnum you have a pure sine wave inverter now that will last you for years. I hope you kept your old freedom inverter because most likely it was just a fuse or one of two circuit boards that need rebuilt or replaced. They are in the front right corner after you take the lid off. Your Freedom would make a good spare or power a stick built house if needed at any rate working it is worth over 1,000 dollars. William your inverter has two separate systems one to convert 12v power to 120 and one to charge the batteries. Looks like maybe the battery charger could be bad or it could be a fuse there is one in particular between the positive cable from the house batteries to the inverter  that could be blown. Gerald and Ed can surely help you test your voltage. I also had a problem with a shorted out cable that runs between the inverter and the remote. I had to run a new cable. (on a freedom 2,000)

the only switches ive seen on the front of the inverter are the breakers and if they are off nothing works that is connected to the inverter.

i think its clear the pass through function is not working somehow but i probably wont get the chance to troubleshoot until after vacation, leaving sunday for 3 weeks in europe.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
Quote from: Gary Wolfer
Thanks Gary, I still have it just in case the insurance company wanted to see it.  I also know a tech who is certified to work on xantrex and magnums now so I'll have him look at it.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

William Brosam

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 05:26:29 PM »
just got back from Europe and installed my microwave yesterday that died, with a new samsung convection unit, and ordered a MS2812 Inverter to replae this one just tired of messing with it.

i hope to repair the xantrex after i remove it to replace later on if i sell or trade in the coach

William Brosam

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »
got the ms2812 inverter installed it worked immediately with no problems everything charging properly and smoothly

Joel Weiss

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 02:49:58 AM »
Quote from: William Brosam
got the ms2812 inverter installed it worked immediately with no problems everything charging properly and smoothly

We've had our MS2812 for nearly 18 months and it works flawlessly.  Switchover from shore power or generator is more reliable and a lot faster (the DirecTV DVR doesn't reboot).