Author Topic: Desperate: Coach Only Airs Up On One Side  (Read 19687 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Desperate: Coach Only Airs Up On One Side
« on: October 11, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »
Got everything loaded into the coach over the last few days to leave for Kerrville.  Started the coach up and took it off air level to travel mode and only the drivers side will inflate to the proper height.  The passenger side, all airbags, will not inflate.  I listened for air leaks and hear none.  When I put the air level system in manual mode, I can not inflate the passenger side but I can inflate or deflate the drivers side.  I have check the electrical connections to the level pad next to the driver and all are good.  It appears that the passenger side is not getting any air.  Any ideas on where to start looking.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Robert Mathis

Re: Desperate: Coach Only Airs Up On One Side
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 04:48:39 PM »
Sounds like an electrical or control problem to me. As simple as it sounds, have you tried turning the system off and then back on again? another fairly simple thing top check would be the connections in the back of the control pad. Since there are at leat 4 seperate solenoids or valves that have to open and close(one for each corner), it's doubtful that two seperate valves would malfunction at the same time.

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 04:55:20 PM »
Thank you Robert, I have checked the wire connections on the underside of the controller.  The unit I have is a Power Gear Valid, air only system.  I checked the air pressure at the service outlet, where I fill my tires from, and I have 120psi.  I will continue to look for a possible electrical failure.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »
I contacted Valid's 24 hour support line and got a call back within 15 minutes.  I was told that it is most likely the right rear height control valve because in travel mode, Valid relinquishes control the factory components, whatever that means.  He asked me if I could do anything in manual mode and when I told him that when I turn on manual mode it starts to dump air from the drivers side and I can not manually raise the passenger side.  He then told me I also have a bad controller because it shouldn't do anything in manual mode unless I select a button.  He told me that Beavers and Monaco products locate the control panel below the drivers side window and that they always get wet.  I asked him if there was anything we could check with the controller, fault codes or something, and he said no, he was sure it was wet and bad.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 06:11:46 PM »
Per Gerald's suggestion, I attempted to turn off the power to the level controller.  I did this with the key in the ON position.  When I started the coach, the power to the controller came back on.  When I attempted to turn the power off while the engine was running, it responded with a beep but would the controller would not turn off.  I then disconnected the wires to the controller.  I then started the coach but it still would not level, even after running for 15 minutes or so.  I crawled under the high side of the rear of the coach to see if the height control valve linkage was still connected on the passenger side.  It is connected, of course it is at a different angle than the driver side because the bags on the passenger side are not aired up.  I attempted to contact Ken Carpenter at BCS but they are closed today.  Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »
Norm
Sorry I cant help but do be careful working on the air while under the coach.  Remember to use jack stands!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 07:28:07 PM »
Something similar happened to us when leaving on a long-planned 6 month trip in 2012.  By playing with the pad I eventually got things up enough to travel and made it the 150 miles to Bend.  BCS found a broken disconnect at the front height control valve underneath;  the rod was just hanging there.  I have no memory of how I managed to get the coach front up with that broken, and me just playing with the control pad by the side of our street, unless I did it via the leveling system and not in Travel Mode.

This apparently is a very common break.  As far as I'm aware, there is one hcv for the front and 2 in the rear.  You said you checked them, but because of its common failure rate I'd be absolutely sure the linkage is sound.  The black connector secured with a stainless hose clamp is usually the culprit;  I think it's at the axle end of the connecting rod and not at the actuator arm end, but could be either I suppose.

You may already be up on all this stuff, but thought I'd proffer it given our experience.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
Joel, thanks for the information.  I have some 2x12 ramps I am going to drive the back of the coach on so I can more safely inspect the arm.  I contacted Power Gear Valid again and was told that the only way for their system  to give up control to obtain travel height is that power to the system has to on and the travel mode selected.  I will inspect the arm but if it is OK, then I assume it must be in one of the solenoids.  Not sure if I can come up with a work around to force it to let air into the passenger side.  
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:57:47 PM »
OK, I don't see the guys here with the most savvy of this logged online at the moment.  I noted in one older HWH manual online (1999) their diagrams revealed 12v inline spade fuses, to the battery, in holders with covers, apparently one fuse per solenoid.  I'm not familiar enough with the undercarriage to be any guidance as to where to look, but might speculate a blown fuse.  But you say yours is Power Gear, not HWH, at least for leveling and not travel.  So that puts me even further out in left field I'm afraid.  Hopefully one of the regulars more familiar with these things will come onboard.  I suspect they are all, like you were trying to do, on their way to Kerrville and not online.

First things first, check the integrity of the right rear height control valve connecting rod clamps.  I think the material they are made of deteriorates in time, then cracks off after setting awhile unused and then suddenly activated.  It could be something else entirely including a damp or corroded panel circuit board, but its a first place to look.  Like Keith said, be careful under there, especially dinking with height valves; even up on ramps I'd block the rear axle, but that's just my cautious nature.  If the clamp is shot, you may have a chance to get to Kerrville if you can fashion a temporary clamp of some sort.  It also occurs to me that it may be as simple as the stainless hose clamp ring has loosened and is allowing the rod to slide?
 :o
Joel
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:07:59 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Watt

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 08:23:57 PM »
Norm,

Does the control pad give any fault codes? On mine when one of the solenoid valves failed I had a fault showing the front right was not airing into travel mode.I was still able to raise it manually enough to be able to drive. It still flashed fault but at least it was raised enough to drive - it didn't react we'll to corners as the travel solenoid wouldn't allow for raising or lowering.

When I was unable to auto level (air), the control panel just beeped when auto selected. Valid informed me it was a bad control pad - new one sent and all worked.

I guess this doesn't help you much, just some of my experiences. I have a very large  file from Valid that goes through set up and trouble shooting I can send to you, however if they feel it is not their unit then that won't help you.

Jeff

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »
I got the low side of the coach up on several 2x12 blocks and crawled under to take another look.  Both height adjustment arms and their associated clamps are in take and look good.  I did notice that the one on the drivers side is painted blue and the other one appears older.  Anyway, I can easily move the rod assembly on the passenger side, moves without effort.  When I attempt to do the same on the drivers side, there is a lot of resistance and I can hear a little air escape.  That tells me that there is no air coming from the solenoid block, but that is where I get stumped.  The solenoid block is high above the frame on the drivers side.  I have Coach Net and an extended warranty.  I am thinking about calling Coach Net for help.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Mark Beighley

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
Hi Norm,  I just emailed you contact info of another 08 PT owner that had this same problem back in June.  It would probably be good for you guys to be on each others first call list.
Good luck.
--Mark

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »
Norm,

I do not have air leveling with a keypad controller on my coach, just the SMC hydraulic system, and the over the road air leveling using those control valves with the arms that set the road height. I had an occasion when the coach aired up and one rear side did not add air to the air springs so the coach was very tilted. I moved the coach in a straight line a few feet and hit the brakes to abruptly stop and after a second try the coach started to air up. Evidently one of the valves can stick and this maneuver seemed to break it loose. You will have to check that you have the front wheels straight and that you have clearance in the wheel wells so that it is safe to move the coach a few feet to try this maneuver. I do not know if my problem source matches yours but I passed this along for you to consider. If you rationalize that a sticking valve could be your issue then it may be worth a try. If it is, the good thing is that it has not happened since so it did not mean that I had a defective valve that continued to be an issue.

Later Ed

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 11:18:56 PM »
I want to thank everyone who has written me to help with my problem.  I contacted Coach Net and spoke to a tech support guy who tried to walk me through a reboot of the Valid air control system.  He also sent me a copy of the procedure from Valid along with an operating manual.  The process begins with the removal of the fuse in the J1939 CAN bus.  The tech thought this would most likely be located on the ceiling of one of the bays.  Well I have looked everywhere and can not find where this part is located.  Does anybody have an idea where the central control for the air leveling system might be located.  Thanks.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Ron Langdon

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 12:09:15 AM »
Norm, look in the electical bin for leveling control, driver;s side in front of left front tire. there are a series of fuses there. Check them and connections.
I had a similar problem, but it impacted both sides. Coach wouldn't come to travel mode.  I ended up dumping all air. Then started the engine. The compressor brought us back to ride height even though display wouldn't indicate it was at height. Did a manual check and all clear. Buzzers and bells continued for about 5 miles then stopped.
My problem was a bad board-- Valid says this is fairly common because of the placement of the board relative to the window on the driver's side.