Author Topic: Hydraulic pump  (Read 19477 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: Hydraulic pump
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 12:24:55 AM »
John,
I think that that particular fan motor was used on the Thunder, Marquis, and the other high end Monaco coaches from about 2004 and later. The good news is that failures are rare for these hydraulic motors, and Jerry only needed one because his pump failed, damaging it with metal in the oil that runs the motor.

Gerald  

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:00:39 AM »
Jerry
Carol and I are sure sorry to hear about your delima.  Is there anything we can do for you?
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 01:30:18 AM »
I can't believe that SAI is the only hydraulic motor that will work, I would be making some serious mod's to fit another motor. Have you tried any of the salvage yards? These guys have about every kind of coach made in their yard.

http://rvparts.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/welcome.pl?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 04:36:15 AM »
If his extended warranty policy didn't probably insist on an original warrantable part, Jerry probably would be doing just that.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 01:53:05 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
If his extended warranty policy didn't probably insist on an original warrantable part, Jerry probably would be doing just that.

Joel
I was unaware that the warranty co's require that practice. Doesn't make sense to me to let his coach sit for months waiting for a part that probably can be replaced with another that is available. It just figures that Monaco would use a part or piece of equipment that is special order and costs a small ransom.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 02:31:42 PM »
Quote from: Lee Welbanks
I was unaware that the warranty co's require that practice. Doesn't make sense to me to let his coach sit for months waiting for a part that probably can be replaced with another that is available. It just figures that Monaco would use a part or piece of equipment that is special order and costs a small ransom.

I talked to Jerry a couple times on the phone.  He is stuck in a bad spot.  He seems to be in the "perfect storm" for motorhomes.

First, the extended warranty company has it's requirements.  But, second, the company doing the work has some too.  The pump failure sent metal down stream and attacked the fan motor and power steering motor.  All three have to be replaced.  

Second, the service facility has requirements too.  If a "used" or "surplus" part is installed, and there is a failure in the system after the repair, would you expect the service shop to back up their work?  

On top of all that, this failure is so rare, that should someone put the pump in stock in their parts room, it could be old and out of warranty before it ever left the parts room.  

Making everything worse, the company that made the pump for Monaco apparently went out of business in the Great Recession by selling out to an Italian company with worldwide applications.  It can be entertaining and frustrating to Google for "SAI Hydraulics".

Jerry's and Chris's only choice seems to be renting from CruiseAmerica if the want to get out of Seattle's gloomy winter weather!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 02:57:19 PM »
Quote from: Bill Sprague
I talked to Jerry a couple times on the phone.  He is stuck in a bad spot.  He seems to be in the "perfect storm" for motorhomes.

First, the extended warranty company has it's requirements.  But, second, the company doing the work has some too.  The pump failure sent metal down stream and attacked the fan motor and power steering motor.  All three have to be replaced.  

Second, the service facility has requirements too.  If a "used" or "surplus" part is installed, and there is a failure in the system after the repair, would you expect the service shop to back up their work?  

On top of all that, this failure is so rare, that should someone put the pump in stock in their parts room, it could be old and out of warranty before it ever left the parts room.  

Making everything worse, the company that made the pump for Monaco apparently went out of business in the Great Recession by selling out to an Italian company with worldwide applications.  It can be entertaining and frustrating to Google for "SAI Hydraulics".

Jerry's and Chris's only choice seems to be renting from CruiseAmerica if the want to get out of Seattle's gloomy winter weather!

Bill,

Yes I understand all the requirements of all the parties involved, it is very rare that a hydraulic pump goes south. I don't think I have ever heard of a hydraulic motor failing completely like his. I have run lots of equipment over the years with hydraulic systems without any failures. I've heard of motors and pumps getting worn out but not just flat blown up.
It's a bad deal all around.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
My Choice warrenty is in it's last year "Darn" I am working with Ty on a possible option for the pump but I think I will still have an issue with Massey not wanting to put on a used pump they like the Extended Warrenty company will only use new parts. We have everything short of the fan motor. I am very comfortable with the folks at Massey and hope that Ty will be able to come up with a fan motor.

Monaco/Allied on the other side of this issue really is a very poor company, I would never buy another product made by them they don't have the interest in taking care of the customer.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Jewell

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 01:30:01 AM »
Jerry, Why can't you just use another brand pump. Parker makes quite a few pumps. I would bet you could modify one to fit. Also I would think the Parker pump would cost much less.

Steve J

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 01:48:31 AM »
Quote from: Steve Jewell
Jerry, Why can't you just use another brand pump. Parker makes quite a few pumps. I would bet you could modify one to fit. Also I would think the Parker pump would cost much less.

Steve J

Steve, I'm with you, if one had all the spec's on the pump and motor I'm sure you could come up with a solution. Does anyone know what the output flow rate and pressure for the pump or the speed and hp of the motor?

Dick Simonis

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
Have you considered taking the motor to a hydraulic equipment/repair facility??  They should be able to help you with a cross reference.  The steering pump is Cat so the specs should be available from the tech dept.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »
Dick,
The hydraulic pump on latter model Beaver C 13s is not engine driven, so I doubt that it is a Caterpillar part. On these coaches, the hydraulic pump is driven from the PTO outlet on the transmission.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »
Is this pump the same across multiple years and models? Anyone know the cost of the pump?

Later Ed

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
Ty Kelly has offered to rebuild a used pump for me at a cost??, I have to take the new pump from Monaco they will not let me cancel the order even though they admit that it's not in production and will not ship until mid Feb.  What a great company Allied Specialty is!!

Ty would give me credit for the rebuild if I send the new pump to BCS. That’s a pretty good offer but my shop in AZ thinks I should wait for the new pump from Monaco.

The concern is the rebuild is an unknown do they have the parts, can they test the fan motor properly if it is not done perfectly this is a high speed motor under extreme operating environments.  Should I choose to use the rebuild everything would be new in the system except the fan motor and if  I have a failure we would go back to ground zero but this time with out a warrenty. I think Ty is trying to really help us out of this fix and for that I am thankful but Tom at Massey makes some sound points.

Do you have any comments?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Edward Buker

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »
Jerry,

It would certainly have a bearing what was wrong with the old pump that is being rebuilt. If it was something mechanical I would take a pass. If it was a leaking Oring or seal and they have experience rebuilding them for that issue, then the decision can be a little less clear. I would consider negotiating having them rebuild and install the pump ( or Massey) and when the new pump is in replacing the used one with the new. You would have a choice of trading that pump back to BCS for an agreed to amount or keeping it as a spare. This is a little more costly, an extra install and pump, but it gets you on the road sooner if that is important.

Later Ed