Author Topic: Hydraulic pump  (Read 19478 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Hydraulic pump
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »
while heading home from Kerrville I got a warning light and checked the alladin for engine issues,. the temp was climbing fast so I pulled off I-10.
The Rett Porter told me to call Massey so after the tow... we found the Hydraulic pump total failure,. Now we think the Power steering and fan motors will all need to be replaced but Tom is looking them over. looks like 2-3 weeks for a fan motos.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:51:01 PM by 8439 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

George Harwell

Re: Hydraulic pump
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
sorry to hear about your misfortune. any ideas yet as what may have caused the failure. Good luck. Keep us informed with the repairs.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »
Hi George, I really don't know the cause but it was catastrophic the pump shaft is about 1” diameter, I can guess that the splined gear that slips into the PTO did experience the shear due to the internal failure of the bronze fitting inside the pump. When they cracked the case open it was a total mess.
The shop here in AZ is called Massey Diesel they are very thorough and feel that the filters in the close hydraulic system would not be able to filter the shavings. Tom the Manger wants to change the power steering pump and the fan motor to prevent a failure later on.  
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 03:12:04 AM »
Jerry,

I don't think I have ever seen a hyd pump fail like that, something had to have gotten into it to jam it causing it to lock up and break the input shaft. I suppose if the bushing failed and the shafts got that loose they might not mesh or the gears climbed each other. Probably so torn up now that you could not figure it out.
What brand of hyd pump do they use.
On my 06 Thunder I change to filter to a much larger unit. I asked the tech's at Filtri about the by-pass always lifting on the filter housing and they said the the orig filter is way to small so I went to a larger unit. It still lifts the bypass when the oil is cold which they say is normal. Was thinking that when that bypass is open a piece of metal from somewhere could get into the tank and from there straight into the pump,,,and bang. Oh! and of course will happen 6 miles west of nowhere, with no cell service.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 04:17:34 AM »
Jerry,
Sorry to hear about your issues. You are in good hands at Massey. Tom has been there since the mid 80s and is extremely knowledgeable and honest. They have done all my shop required maintenance on our coaches. No complaints.
Good Luck! Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 10:20:52 PM »
The folks at Massey still have my rig, it looks like 3-4 weeks for Monaco to get a new Hyd. Pump, Tom at Massey did break open the power steering pump and the Hyd.Cooling fan motor they all had major damage. the next target is the power steering box. So far my extended warranty look good for the cost I am lucky that I still had 5 months coverage. It looks like I will renew that coverage if they will take me.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:49:43 PM by 8439 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:39:45 AM »
Geez Jerry sorry for the misfortune.  Glad it happened after Kerrville not before.  Just know we are pulling for ya!

Keith and Carol
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »
More news all Bad on the Fan motor,  Massey just called me with information provided by Monaco who told use 2-3 week originally for the cooling fan motor.  Massey call today as a follow up and was told now that the pump would not ship until mid February shipping from Italy. Monaco has no inventory.
Loos like we are SOL I really can't use a used pump because of the extended warranty.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Ron Johnson

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 06:46:28 PM »
Wow do I ever feel for you guys !!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »
Just scared the heck out of me, Jerry - like Lee's ours is an '06 too.  What extended warranty do you have?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

neil omalley

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
ITALY? WT heck? Can't ya just fly over and pick it up? :)

Jeff Watt

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »
Maybe we should get John Deere to make coaches - parts are always available or next day  ;)

I assume Massey is looking at all sources as you'd think the hydraulic pump,etc can't be unique to these coaches. Even here there is a metal shop that has rebuilt pumps for the farmer that rents my land - a rebuilt maybe not perfect but still better than weeks.

Amyway,  since I have essentially the same coach, your predicament  gives me pause to think what happens and what I'd do if it lets go in the middle of nowhere (or even somewhere).

Jeff

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 10:29:06 PM »
The part that Jerry is waiting for is the hydraulic fan motor, not the pump, and yes it is fairly unique to Monaco coaches. A friend of mine had one start leaking about 2 years ago on his 06 Thunder from a cracked housing. He got the same song and dance from Monaco then, and ended up finding a used motor to repair his coach.

It appears that Monaco will not stock an adequate number of the motors, because of expense. The manufacturer sold off the division that makes them to a European company who only has a production run on this motor when there are enough orders to warrant. In other words, it will be months before the motor is made, but delivery will only take a few days.

Gerald    

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 10:34:36 PM »
What years and models have that particular fan motor?
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 11:21:39 PM »
Gerald is correct on the SAI fan motor it does come from Italy when I spoke with Loren Robertson at Monaco he explained this was a motor used by Monaco. He know of no other company that used this part. Yes I could use a used motor but my warranty would be void. My hope is I can have a motor before the Hula in Hemet Rally
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:12:40 AM by 235 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13