Author Topic: Mis-behaving transmission  (Read 2970 times)

Jerry Pattison

Mis-behaving transmission
« on: November 02, 2014, 03:10:52 AM »
Here I go again!  Regarding our transmission issue (erratic shifting) in South Dakota, it seemed to have repaired itself (remember, I changed chassis batteries in Rapid City and was told that the transmission must re-learn its sequencing) about half way home to Texas.  That was in early October.  Then we departed for the Kerrville rally, it began again but seemed to fix itself again.  I did the fault search, and it reports that I need to check the "speed connections".  I presume that is engine speed.  The transmission then continued to mis-behave on the way home.  It seemed to be searching for where to go, as sort of a "double clutch".  It would begin to shift, hesitate, engine speed goes to maybe 2200, then the shift would complete, back to 1500 RPM.  Did this the 5 hour trip home.  I have no idea where to look for the speed connections.

On arriving home, I found that the engine fan (the fan that discharges air from the engine compartment) failed to come on.  Trouble shooting found that there was 12 volts at the terminal in the terminal bay and at the fan connector in the engine compartment, but as soon as the fan was to start, that voltage would drop to zero.  The fan operates properly when 12 volts is applied externally, so the fan is not the problem.  I also tried another fan at the connection in the engine compartment, same result.  12 volts is applied to the relay by the circuit breaker, but once the timer tells the fan to start, the 12 volts drops at the terminal to the fan, the circuit breaker is OK.  Could the relay have become a resistor and drops all the voltage?  Are these two issues, or related?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Mis-behaving transmission
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 03:38:17 AM »
Jerry,
The fan problem sure sounds like a circuit breaker failing under load but since you checked it I'd suspect the relay or timer. The chance of the relay becoming resistive is pretty low but its possible that it is opening up for some reason. I assume the timer supplies the trigger signal to close the relay. Is it present when you lose 12v? If so probably a bad relay. If not the timer signal may not be getting to the relay.

I don't think this is related to your misbehaving tranny. There are electrical connections on the transmission though that can cause problems. I had to be towed a couple of years ago as mine wouldn't come out of third. I don't remember the error code but the cause was bad/intermittent electrical connections. The shop replaced the connectors and its been running fine since.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp