Author Topic: 2006 Monterey entrance awning  (Read 7175 times)

Jim Gill

2006 Monterey entrance awning
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »
I have a 2006 Beaver Monterey. When we set up camp a few days ago, the Carefree entrance awning extended with no problem. As we are preparing to move on earlier today, I turned on the power key and pushed the retract button...nothing happened. No noise, no awning movement...nothing. The house batteries are fully charged and the larger Carefree patio awning retracted with no problem. Since this little awning works off 12 volts and I've been hooked up to shore power for the past few days, there should be enough battery power. I've checked the fuse panel in the water closet and none are blown.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

If the electric motor has failed, is there any easy way to manually retract this little awning so that I can get to a repair shop to have the motor replaced? It appears that with some effort, I could probably remove the entire awning assembly from the coach but I'm hoping there might be a better solution.

Jim

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: 2006 Monterey entrance awning
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
Jim-

Not sure about the entry awning, but if it's like the patio one, I think the ignition may have to be off to operate.  Was your ignition key on at the time?  The patio awning also supposedly has a "mini breaker" in the front electrical bay (not the bathroom breaker box), so perhaps that is where the entry awning breaker is also.

I will go out and check our '06 Monterey to see what else I can come up with for you.

Joel

Check this webpage for related info, and choose "One Touch 12 v Owner's Manual" :  http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rvmhpa_onetouch_tech.asp?m=01010101
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:47:49 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

John and Judy Gardner

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:00:26 AM »
Jim Nichols had a simliar problem last week when we were at Camp Pendletion.  Mosture was in the motor.  He took it apart, dried and cleaned it, seems to be working fine.  Not an easy job. I recommend contacting him.  He is a BAC Members. Check the directory for his email address.

Good Luck,

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:50:49 AM by 14 »

Tim Westman

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:24:44 AM »
Jim,

I had an '05 Monterey with an entry awning that used to hang up in the out position occasionally.  I used to have to encourage the closure by putting a small amount of pressure on the "elbows" while someone would push the retract button.  Once started, everything would work fine.  Carefree says that there is no way to adjust how far out the awning goes but apparently if it extends too far the elbows lock in the out position.  I just stopped fully extending the awning stopping an inch or two short of completely out and that took care of the problem.

Tim

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 01:43:23 AM »
I believe you can adjust the maximum travel lockpoint at the red device on the end of the motor shaft.  See the website http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/rvmhca_marquee_tech.asp?m=01010201.  This is for the Carefree Marquee Over the Door awning.  Click on "Service Manual" there, and its PDF will load;  the adjustment is on page 7.  Tim, such an adjustment would stop your elbows from locking (no reference to tennis or golf intended  ;)).  Don't know why Carefree told you there was no adjustment - I can see the red adjustment cap while standing under the awning.

I can't find the mini-fuse for the patio awning in the electric bay (where the manual says it is), much less one for the entry awning, and Carefree's manuals don't go beyond their 12 v. access wire - the fuse would be a Monaco addition, and who knows where it is.  The only obvious fuses in the electric bay are both for the HWH air system.  I tried looking behind the control panel inside over the door (the keyed One-Touch), but one would have to remove the entire wood panel to get a clean look for any fuses behind it.  Reckon the guys at Bend would know where such a fuse is.

In the meantime I think the suggestions to see if the elbows locked like Tim's, or the motor contacts have corroded as John said.  Both are very likely causes of your problem.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:55:25 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:47:35 AM »
Quote from: Tim Westman
Jim,

I had an '05 Monterey with an entry awning that used to hang up in the out position occasionally.  I used to have to encourage the closure by putting a small amount of pressure on the "elbows" while someone would push the retract button.  Once started, everything would work fine.  Carefree says that there is no way to adjust how far out the awning goes but apparently if it extends too far the elbows lock in the out position.  I just stopped fully extending the awning stopping an inch or two short of completely out and that took care of the problem.

Tim
Same here.  If it goes to the "straight arm" position, it won't come in.  

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 05:51:20 AM »
My awning was stuck in the extended position so I removed the screws, cut the wires and slid the awning forward out of the support channel. The Bosch wiper motor assembly comes apart easily with the right tools. After pulling the outer casing from the armature I found rust in the bottom half. It was surface rust and would fill the small tolerance between the magnets and the armature and would not allow it to turn. I cleaned by spraying a rust inhibitor and wiping clean both magnets, armature and casing. I used silicone grease on everything before reassembly, then silicone caulk on all areas that would allow water into that assembly. You can drill a small hole at the bottom of the plastic awning casing, but it seemed like water got in to the motor at the motor assembly screws, not pooling in the plastic awning cover. Also the only place I have found silicone grease is at a tractor parts store. I first discovered it at an agricultural fair. I also use it on the tow bar shafts. And thanks John Gardner for the plug.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9