Author Topic: Air filter  (Read 7528 times)

KC Snellgrove

Air filter
« on: January 12, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »
GOOD DAY!!! To my fellow Beaver Lovers. I do not have the operation / maintenance manual for my 2005 Beaver Monterey 38 foot 400 CAT diesel motor coach. When I purchased my rig from Beaver Coach in Bend it was not included. Does anyone have a similar coach that can tell me what the identifying numbers are or where I can find them on the engine or coach?

Thank you so very much.  :-\

KC Snellgrove
2005 Beaver Monterey "Olivia - Jean"

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Air filter
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:02:50 PM »
Not sure what questio you are asking.  Do you need part numbers for an air filter or VIN numbers or perhaps engine serial numbers?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:20:11 PM »
Assuming you are asking, KC, for the engine air filter element and not one of the other air filters on the coach, I can only tell you what our '06 C9 Monterey is supposed to use according to my manual:  Donaldson P537448.  I had also written down in my CAT manual "Model Ecolite 11X24 BI", which I may have gotten off the canister.  The Donaldson number is likely what you want.

But you might be best off by calling Beaver Coach Sales in Bend and asking the fellows in parts, because your '05 may be different.

CAT's manual recommends new components annually, but I doubt most obey that.  If the filter's flow indicator (aka Service Indicator, aka Air Filter Minder) doesn't show its yellow float approaching the red zone, I wouldn't get too anxious about replacing the element yet.  If you do replace the element, be sure to press the reset button atop the indicator.

-Joel
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:35:47 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:30:55 PM »
Joel I see you are a neighbor! I have sent an email to Sean at Beaver Coach and he said it was a C9 Diesel. If I find the filter can you guide me to where it is on the engine so I can change it myself? Thank you, KC

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:55:41 PM »
Joel, I have heard of a CAT repair shop on Columbia Blvd. Do you know if it is Peterson's? I am going to call them. Thank you, KC

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »
The coach data plate should be on the wall behind the drivers seat, the Cat data plate should be on the front of the motor probably on the gear case housing.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 04:07:02 AM »
Yes, KC, the one on Columbia Blvd. is a Peterson's CAT.  4421 NE Columbia Boulevard
Portland, OR 97218
PH: 503.288.6411
Hours: M-F 8am - 5pm
Parts: M-F 7am - 5:30pm
Truck Service: M-F 7am - 12am

Apparently there is another also,
PORTLAND EAST
6654 NE 47th Ave.
Portland, OR 97218
PH: 503.280.1899.

The filter is large, cylindrical and pretty much front and upper left-center and horizontal as you open the engine door - sorta "in your face".  But what you see is just the black filter holder.  I have not changed my engine air filter myself;  the air filter service indicator, the  small glass "bowl" to the lower left of the compartment, hasn't gotten close to the red zone yet, so it still breathes well.  I refer you to this info:
http://filterminder.com/resources/faqs.html

My manual briefly describes the filter cartridge changeout.  It looks relatively simple with loosening a few ring clamps.  But I'd be sure the holder's nozzles were clean all around before reassembling so any dirt knocked loose during disassembly isn't drawn into the system downwind of the new element.

Joel

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:34:56 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »
The filter is quite easily changed. On mine their were two ring clamps, and two large clamps on the canister to unsnap. Then the whole canister comes down. Replace the filter and reinstall in reverse order. It took me about twenty minutes to completion!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl