Author Topic: Best towed vehicle list.  (Read 16266 times)

Robert Mielenz

• BAC Member
Best towed vehicle list.
« on: February 20, 2015, 11:49:45 PM »
We are in the market for a new (to us) towed vehicle.  Hoping to get a number of suggestions.  40 Patriot with the Cat 330 engine.  Thanks for any help.     
It sounds like the Grand Cherokee is popular.  Any specifics as to which equipment options are best for easy hook up and towing?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:54:16 PM by Robert Mielenz »
2004 Marquis
C 12 505
08 Honda CRV
97 Patriot

Mike And Mary Engen

Re: Best towed vehicle list.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:44:54 AM »
Jeeps are always a good toad, but they should have a "Trail Ready" metal emblem and the manual transfer case.  Some of the older one's like our 95 Wrangler did not have the emblem.
We have a late model Subaru Forester with manual transmission that is light and pulls fine.
Alot of the Saturns were excellent if you can find one in good shape.
One of the best resources is the FMCA annual towing guide, I think it is online.
Always wise to double check with manufacturer and some dealers also knowledgeable.
The following users thanked this post: Robert Mielenz

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:22:14 AM »
Mike,
Why is "Trail Ready" important? Seems to me that if it has a manual transfer case with a neutral, you should be good to go.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 02:01:37 AM »
A lot depends on what you like to do with your toad.  Many tow jeeps, for example, because they are relatively light and can handle off-road well, but some models so ordained have a relatively rough highway ride. 

We like our '97 Explorer Limited, known in the family as "Pearl" due to its pearlescent white paint, because I put a Ford Neutral Tow Kit on it so it is a simple tow-prep, and I added a Roadmaster Brakemaster auxilliary brake system, also easily prepped and removed and stowed.  We bought the car new and it still takes us just about anywhere at 17-18 average combined fuel mileage.  It has taken us onto Oregon beaches and into the wilds of the West and Canada to flyfish remote streams, and yet has an acceptable highway ride on its Goodyear Wrangler tires.  It's had Michelin's too and did just as well. 

It is very unique in that it has an air suspension, no longer put on Explorers that I know of, and automatically adjusts ride height according to conditions;  the car lowers when shut off, raises when first started, and goes even higher if 4 wheel drive is set, and higher yet in 4X4 High.  It won't likely go everywhere a Jeep Wrangler will, but then I don't need to always go where a Wrangler will.  Yet I've crossed a few mudholes, rocky streambeds, the high desert after gems, and snowy/icy roads in it.  Pearl even busted through a snowdrift once to make way for Monty Rae.

Whatever you do, consider a Roadmaster Guardian or other device to protect your toad's front.  The first year we towed it behind Monty Rae it got gravel-pummeled pretty good, and I regret relying on the Beaver mudflap alone.  Our Guardian helped reduce the rock chip damage, but we may yet add a Roadmaster under-towbar screen to help out, especially if we ever get a new Explorer.  Hoodcovers and "bras" do more harm than good since they trap micro-grit underneath them and grind it in.  As you can probably tell, I'm reluctant to tow an expensive new car, and would rather put an older one in harm's way back there.

As Mike and Mary suggest, check carefully whatever vehicle you consider buying.  For example, not all Explorers are towable, as is true with many brand configurations - a lot depends on tranny or whether 4 wheel drive is involved.  Motorhome magazine and FMC magazine offer annual towables guides you can reference, probably online, but manufacturers commonly change their towable certifications so they are the final consult for you.

Back around 2007, Ford's Hybrid Escape was toad-approved, perhaps the only such towable SUV hybrid.  It was a bit too small for us or we might have gone that route back when.  General Motors has a slew of towables you can consider too, and many here like their Chevy and GMC toads.  I wouldn't go too humongous weight-wise, but your 330 should be up to most standard-sized or smaller toads.  Not sure what your particular Patriot's chassis' hitch rating is, 5000 or 10,000, but don't go over it.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:05:22 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:40:54 AM »
I am in favor of the Explorer.  The necessary neutral tow switch is installed by the dealer.  The hooking up and disconnecting takes only a few minutes.  Ease of use doesn't mean much if it doesn't fit your needs while in use.
The only draw back is the weight.  At about 5000 lbs. The Explorer tows behind your coach well enough but not as well as our Saturn did behind ours.  We lost about 5 miles per hour on the up hill.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
Hi,

We just got a 2014 Chevy Equinox and like it so far for the towing. Only had to put in switch to defeat a fuse. nothing else special except for the baseplate of course.

Jerry
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray, Robert Mielenz

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 06:59:37 PM »
Hi Robert, We have a 2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD automatic and it tows well without any modifications at all. It has the Push button ignition but I just leave in the accessory mode, put the vehicle in neutral which also of course also unlocks the steering,  and done. You need to ignore the "shift to park" reminder in the dash, I do have an accessory charge line running from the coach and wired through to the battery on the Edge which is needed to keep the battery up while driving. I also had the wiring harness from the coach patched into the vehicle wiring so the turn signals and brake lights on the Edge work while being towed. So far no concerns.  I don't know if the new ones are approved so you should always check the owners manual and do not rely on the sales reps at the dealerships.
I use a Blue Ox "Patriot" removable brake system as well but I know others prefer the more permanent air actuated brake installations.
Dwight Wilson
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 07:48:04 PM »
In my 35+ years of towing behind our motorhome the 2012 Grand Cherokee is the best....  I have towed little cars, big cars, small Jeeps (Wrangler and Liberty), and older Grand Cherokees.  This GC is far running away better.  I never knew it was behind my 2002 Patriot.  Only takes a couple of minutes to hookup and be gone.  No fuses to pull, no key in the ignition, put the transmission selector in "park", after putting the transfer case in "neutral".
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Les Brandt

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 02:39:35 AM »
I tow our 2013 F150 Platinum 4x4. It comes factory ready to tow 4 down. I bought the truck for work and it's a beautiful vehicle to drive. Simple twist of the 4x4 selector switch a few times and it's ready to go. We use the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »
I use a tow dolly, as that was how I started.  It allows me to change vehicles with no consideration to setting it up for towing, which can be expensive. 
I recently thought I would buy a 4 down vehicle and started looking around.  The one that I like the best, but haven't yet bought is the Cadillac SRX.  It has all the room and tow friendliness of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but is a little more elegant and not much more expensive.  I like the cargo capacity and the all wheel drive, that tows by setting a couple of switches.
With the $Cdn down so far just now it doesn't make sense for me to shop in the US, so I will wait till I get home before pursuing this any further.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 08:09:47 PM »
The SRX is a great tow vehicle. I purchased a 2012 used a year ago very reasonable and it only had 12,000 miles on it.

The size is good, and lots of room for items in the rear section. I had a CRV before that, no comparison as too the ride.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

John Bagwell

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 02:51:13 AM »
Is SRX 4WD/AWD ?
John Bagwell
2001 Monterey 36ft.
CAT 3126B
Toad. 2020 Ford Ranger

John Shannon

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
You can get the SRX either way and very simple to tow.
John Shannon
2008 Contessa, 42' C9 425 HP
2018 Lincoln MKX

John Sinnar

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
A few months ago we bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that is way over and above what the Cadillac SRX can provide as far as optional and standard equipment, luxury, roominess, of road capability and  ease of towing, etc,,,,,,,

john sinnar
06 THUNDER 525

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
I have been happy towing a Honda CRV for several years and about 30,000 miles. Mine is AWD SUV, it is roomy and versatile for a small vehicle and provides a comfortable ride.

From my experience, although the Lexus RX300 was listed in the FMCA list of towables and Lexus technical data sheet indicating this vehicle could be safely RV towed the local dealership refused to honour the transmission warranty when it failed. The 1999 RX300 had a notorious transmission problem towed or not.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9