Author Topic: Propane won't come on after storage  (Read 5714 times)

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
Propane won't come on after storage
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:33:23 AM »
Hello all,
When I winterized our coach last January, I turned of the electric switch at the propane fill, there is a two position switch on ours and a red indicator light. We are going to use the coach to do a day of dry camping and I turned the switch back on but the indicator light has not come on, and of course I have no propane to run the refrigerator while we are parked.

Has anyone run across this  before? I just replaced both chassis batteries and they are fully charged.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean Johnson
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
1993 Bounder (1st coach!)
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
Past Region 1 Vice President

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Propane won't come on after storage
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:21 AM »
     Hi Dean,
   I'm sure you have turned on the battery disconnect switch and plugged the coach into shore power and you have good 12 volt power thru out the coach. If you have a test light, check for 12v at the back of the switch and then flip the switch and check for 12v on the other terminal. If all that is good, then you have a bad solenoid valve at the propane tank. Sometimes you can tap on the solenoid with it turned on to actuate it. If your not comfortable doing this, call a mobile RV tech. Oh the Joy of waking these Beasts up. In case "she" is listening tell her you love her. Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Dean Johnson

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 02:02:43 AM »
The first winter after purchasing our coach (Aug 2012) it was winterized and put into storage for several months.  Upon retrieving the coach from storage in the Spring of 2013 I turned on the propane at the tank.  The red light did not come on but I could easily hear the valve snap open, and I had propane at the fridge and stovetop burners.  I opened and closed the switch at the tank several times, and each time the valve snapped closed and open with the switch.  The red light has never worked since turning off the switch in the Fall of 2012 but the valve has always worked properly.  I have not made any effort to fix or replace the red light.  Since the valve works when ordered I have adopted the policy, "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it."
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
    I aggree with David, If you can hear a distant click then the solenoid is operational. Light your stove to verify. The indicator lights used back then are pretty "cheesy" as far as quality is concerned. Fortunately the latest generation of replacement indicators have "LED" in them and will last a long time. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
thanks all for the replies. Fred, I can't hear anything when I turn that switch. Where is that solenoid located?

Thanks,
Dean
Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »
     It is mounted on the LP tank in about the center. It is brass and has the remote fill hose next to it. Unfortunately, it is not easy to get to on your back. If your going to "air up" your suspension or use your jacks be careful and block your frame for safety. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »
As a follow up to my propane issue, turns out the electric switch was bad, in addition to the bulb being burned out. I had a mobile tech come out and he discovered this, we bought a new lighted switch and we  now have propane back! The wiring is exposed to the elements since it's located directly behind the front wheel, it gets wet and dirty.

Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad