Author Topic: Emergency Egress Window Maintenance  (Read 13059 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Emergency Egress Window Maintenance
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
    Hi Folks,
Just a friendly reminder to check your Egress Windows before you set out for this summers adventures. We all have a propensity to think bad stuff happens to others while we overlook our own stratagy of what to do if we really needed to exit our coach besides the front door.
     My suggestion is to locate your Emergency exit windows and open them. Spray silecone on all the window seals and levers and make sure they operate easily. Advise your guests on board what to do in an emergency and show them the way out. (perhaps you saw the recent news video of the Dutchstar on fire and the 2 ladies who had to exit the roadside bedroom window)
     Happy Trails to You, Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Stan Simpson

Les Brandt

Re: Emergency Egress Window Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »
Didn't see the video Fred. Can you post a link?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:09:54 PM »
Les,
I think that this is the video that Fred is referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N5kKJjqHt0

Gerald

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
    Thanks Gerald, That be the one. Hard to imagine just how fast that coach filled with smoke and the amount of time they had to get out. It would be interesting to find out how old the tires were.
   Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
.....It would be interesting to find out how old the tires were.
The video I saw showed the right front tire had burst into flame.  My guess is that a brake was dragging, it got hot and the tire spontaneously combusted.  I wonder how long it had been driven with a pull to the right, slow acceleration, dragging noise or hot brake smell?

Bill Dean

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »
Good advice on checking the emergency egress. Looking at our two emergency exits, all I have is the "typical" window locking latch, albeit in red, and no evidence of hinges or anything else to support the window if I push out on it. This is a 2001 Patriot and the windows may never have been moved in fifteen years. The last thing I need is to push on the window and have it fly off onto the concrete pad below.
Any advise?  And, has anyone with a similar window exit tried to open one before?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
Good advice on checking the emergency egress. Looking at our two emergency exits, all I have is the "typical" window locking latch, albeit in red, and no evidence of hinges or anything else to support the window if I push out on it. This is a 2001 Patriot and the windows may never have been moved in fifteen years. The last thing I need is to push on the window and have it fly off onto the concrete pad below.
Any advise?  And, has anyone with a similar window exit tried to open one before?

We have the same exact window and when we first got our MH I asked "Mac the fire guy" how to work the emergency window exit.  He laughed and said, just slide the window open and yank out the screen.  The window opening is more than adequately wide enough for egress.  ;D

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 06:35:52 PM »
Bill,
There are numerous Beaver coaches, especially in the SMC era that do not have hinged windows. The fire exit is just the large opened window. To maintain your fire exit you just open and close the window occasionally. If it is sticky, lubricate the weather strips with silicone spray to insure that it is always easy to open.

Gerald 

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 08:56:35 PM »
To maintain your fire exit you just open and close the window occasionally.

I just have to ask; don't people use their RV windows any more so they'd never get sticky?  Your comment seems to imply what I've been noticing that more and more people seem to keep their windows closed and A/C's on all the time these days.  Not only that but many newer MH's have far fewer windows than we have.  What's the point of being in beautiful places if I can't see them and breathe the fresh air?
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »
I agree but when in Florida with a temp of 95 you tend to keep them closed.  My wife is a fanatic about opening windows whenever the weather allows.   When the temp gets to 75 every window available is open.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 10:43:43 PM »
I agree but when in Florida with a temp of 95 you tend to keep them closed.  My wife is a fanatic about opening windows whenever the weather allows.   When the temp gets to 75 every window available is open.

I agree about the need for A/C in Fl at those temps.  That's one reason we spent last summer on Prince Edward Island.  Temps between 70 and 80 everyday and no need for A/C.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »
Joel, next year is retirement and Gerald will be happy because he won't have to hear me say "work" anymore.  We will be joining the crowd headed somewhere other than Florida for the summer.  I need to research how hot it gets around the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone in May or so.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Dean

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »
Thanks for everyone's comments especially Gerald. For the life of me I couldn't see any hinges and now I'm fine with the exit issue as our windows are indeed more than large enough and larger than our previous two coaches.
Again, thanks!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 02:12:53 AM »
Joel, next year is retirement and Gerald will be happy because he won't have to hear me say "work" anymore.  We will be joining the crowd headed somewhere other than Florida for the summer.  I need to research how hot it gets around the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone in May or so.

Fortunately, the elevation at both Yellowstone and the Canyon rim make for reasonable temps most of the time.  We visited the Canyon in September and it was fine; May is too early for the North Rim and it may still be chilly on the south. The South Rim is at ~7,000 feet if I recall. We were at Yellowstone in mid-summer and were never too hot.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 05:07:47 AM »
Remember that some of us may have medical or allergy issues preventing us from having the windows open.

I cannot breathe in the heat and have to leave the ac on, with fans too for better circulation. Even if it gets cooler I have too many allergies to open up the windows.....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:14:51 AM by Carol Moffett »
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl