Author Topic: 1996 36' Beaver Monterey - boost switch location  (Read 9799 times)

Rod Tomlinson

1996 36' Beaver Monterey - boost switch location
« on: May 09, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
Two days ago, all batteries ok. This morning, batteries not strong enough to fully crank the generator or engine. I thought I turned off the switch at the stairs, not sure now. Anyway, where exactly is the starter booster switch? Also, does the generator charge the chassis and house batteries, or just the chassis batteries??

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: 1996 36' Beaver Monterey - boost switch location
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 02:32:37 PM »
I believe my Battery Boost is a toggle switch (among five switches) located to the left side of the steering wheel on the dash board.  I have never used it.

If all your electrical systems are working properly, then any source of power (engine alternator, shore plug, generator) should charge all your batteries.  But as many discussions here on the Forum have explained, if your House Batteries are discharged, then avoid using the engine alternator as a power source for charging them.  First, use the generator for some period of time to get those batteries mostly charged, then later start the engine to air up the coach before retracting the slides for traveling.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:34:08 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
Rod,
Your boost switch may be on the left driver's arm rest. Your (96 Monterey) generator only charges the house batteries through the inverter. However, if you have the optional Echo Charger (most 96 Montereys did not have this option), it will charge the chassis batteries when the house batteries are charging or turning the ignition key to accessory position will close your boost solenoid to tie both battery banks together to charge them equally.

The switch at the stairs only turns off the house batteries, so it will have no relation to chassis battery discharge. Also turning off the switch at the stairs will kill all 12 volt power to the house circuits including the refrigerator, and since the refrigerator requires 12 volt power to even run on propane, you will have no refrigerator. Most Beaver owners never use that switch and some owners have even disabled it because it can be very problematic.

Gerald

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 10:00:02 PM »
Thank you for the information. The monitor, above the drivers seat, shows 13.4 volts when pressed. Is this the voltage in the house batteries? Also, I found the booster switch, where you said it was, but unfortunately when I held it down, the engine still did not have enough juice to turn over the engine. I did hear some kind of a click when I pressed the switch. Do I need a new booster piece of equipment? Am I right in assuming the chassis batteries are the ones used to start the engine and generator?

I purchased a shore power cord/adapter to use the outlet on my home and connected it to the shore power. It enabled me to use the 110 volt in the motorhome. I hoped it would also charge the batteries to start the engine and the generator. (Gerald, thank you for explaining why that didn't work). Since the inverter/charger is not charging the chassis batteries, what is the best option? Jumper cables? There are two batteries, I assume, (hate that word) that they are 12v.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:57:54 PM »
Rod,
If your monitor is reading 13.4 volts, that is for the house batteries that are currently being charged by the inverter. If you do not have a hand held meter, you need one. See me at the Branson Rally, and I will walk you through your basic electrical system and meter use.   

Your coach could have several battery configurations, but most of them have two 12 volt cranking batteries for the chassis battery bank that are wired in parallel to produce 12 volts. The house battery bank is most likely four 6 volt deep cycle (golf cart) batteries that are wired in series by pairs and then in parallel to produce 12 volts.

If your boost switch does not work, you need to do a little trouble shooting to determine the problem. Most likely it is corroded contacts in the boost solenoid. If the boost solenoid clicks when the switch is pressed, but you do not have continuity between the two large side terminals, it is corroded terminals. You can disassemble the solenoid and clean the terminals, or replace it, but disconnect chargers and the batteries before repairs to prevent arcing.   

Gerald

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 12:07:52 AM »
Gerald, your information, as always, is very helpful. Where is the boost solenoid located? Also, is my best bet, for the generator and engine to simply jump start them with cables? Also, for the last few days, I have been running the generator for 6-7 hours a day while working on the motorhome. That's why I was so surprised the batteries went dead. What is the highest probability of what is wrong with the batteries not charging?

Also, I wanted to let everyone know how really impressed with the helping hands on this site.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:05:17 AM »
Rod,
I think that the boost solenoid is in the battery bay on your coach.

To start the generator and engine, you have several starting options. You can hook a jumper cable between the 12 volt positive post of the house batteries to the positive post of the chassis batteries to start the generator, and leave the jumper cable there while the inverter charges both battery banks. However, if you want to start the engine immediately, you will need a very heavy jumper cable or multiple cables to flow enough current to start the engine if the chassis batteries are badly discharged. You can also repair the boost solenoid.

To answer your question about why the chassis batteries are discharged, first you have to tell me if you have an Echo Charger. If not, you have been using current from the chassis batteries by starting the generator and the constant drain from the engine computer but not recharging them in anyway. Therefore, you have discharged batteries. 

Gerald

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
Gerald,

I will have to find out if there is a Echo system. If there is, where is it probably located? Is it correct to say that when the generator is running, it should be charging the chassis batteries. If this is true, and I don't have a echo system. What is the probable reason why the batteries are not staying charged. I have been running the generator for several hours every few day while working on the motorhome.

In reference to jump starting the engines, if the booster is broken, can we just put a jumper cable to both sides of the booster and then use the booster switch next to the driver seat?

Rod Tomlinson

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »
Sorry Gerald,

I just reread your replies and I forgot the generator does not charge the chassis batteries, unless I have the Echo system. Perhaps, because I have not been running the engine, my constant starting of the generator has drained the chassis batteries.

Frank Towle

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 06:21:59 PM »
Hi Rod,

I owned a '96 Beaver Patriot several years ago and if I remember the booster solenoid (round can with 2 big terminals and two small ones sticking out from side) is located in power distribution bay to left and outside drivers position - you're hearing so it's close by.  Don't try to repair just junk and pick up heavy duty from auto parts store.  A universal solenoid for electric snow plows would work. 

The Echo charger is normally located in battery bay, maybe attached to 'roof' of that bay with just 3 wires: house, chassis & ground.  It's only job is to pass current to chassis battery when house is above 13V and chassis is below that same voltage.  And should only be used as a 'trickle charger' for the chassis battery as the amperage (current) falls way off when there is a large difference in voltage between the two sets of batteries.  Also, look for inline fuse from Echo to either or both battery banks. 

Remember that all of the dash including CD Changers, radios & rear view camera when on in addition to the engine & trany computers all consume chassis power - doesn't take much to pull those batteries down over long period of time.  Also, my Beaver owners manual recommends always holding down booster switch before turning ignition switch to on - HUGE drain from intake heater coil, that's what 'WAIT' light tells us.

Fred  & Bill have great comments charging system - just search 'Echo Charger'

Finally replaced the Echo charger with Trik-L-Start to eliminate discharging chassis.  There could/should (good words right) be a solar charger installed that would handle both banks.  Great to have multiple ways to keep the batteries charged - complex because of that reason.