Author Topic: Unused wires and connections  (Read 6654 times)

Dan Murphy

Unused wires and connections
« on: June 08, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
Its a rainy day and I have decided to look for a way to hook up a CB radio. We are doing a few rallies this summer and I thought it may be handy. My build sheet says my coach is pre-wired so I started looking behind the dash. Holy Cow!! I find a rats nest and a bunch of unused wires.
I will try to post a few pics and maybe someone can identify what some of these connections are for.
The pic with the yellow and white connectors comes from the left out of a large bunch of wires and no label at all except "made in China" LOL
The pic with Red connector and the RCA adapter thingy is labeled "camera #4
The pic with what looks like capped RCA jacks and an S video cord comes from the Magnadine radio
The pic with the 4 unused connectors of many colors comes from the Voyager screen
The pic with 3 blue tipped connectors is wires labeled "ground spare","spare batt +",and "ignition spare"

I could not find anything that looked like a CB hook-up at all but I am not very schooled at wiring and electronics. Can anybody help identify these wires?
Also---I don't know what that box thing is in the one pic but it is labeled "P21" and is laying loose in there.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:10:27 PM by Dan Murphy »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Unused wires and connections
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
Dan,
I'm not familiar with the CBs they put in the Monaco era Beavers but I believe they probably installed the standard Cobra CB that has all the the controls and speaker in the handset. http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00005N5WW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433791240&sr=1-2&keywords=cobra+cb+radio

In any case the wires you want are the 3 with the blue crimp connectors. You will hook up ground and 12V to the CB's control box that mounts under the dash. Your only decision will be whether to use the spare battery + or the ignition spare. The former will allow the radio to be powered at all times. The latter will supply power only when the ignition is on. I'd suggest you use this one to avoid leaving the radio on when storing the coach, etc. and contributing to battery drain.

Biggest question is whether they installed an antenna and the coax cable between it and the antenna. If you've got a CB antenna on the roof, then you just need to find the coax under the dash. It will be a cable like TV coax with a threaded connector on the end. Here's an example; http://www.amazon.com/Redman-25-CABLE-CB-Connectors/dp/B009P8X2M6/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433792259&sr=1-8&keywords=cb+cable
 It will attach to the control box.

If no antenna or coax, they need to be installed. IMHO you want a roof mounted antenna. DON'T let the installer mount it on the side windshield post as it will generate a lot of wind noise (been there, done that). Lot of installers like to use the post as it makes there job easier.  I installed this antenna on my roof and have been very pleased with it. It is short so doesn't hit overhead stuff and tunes easily. http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RP-550-Ring-Tunable-Antenna/dp/B001JT3Q0C/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433792040&sr=1-4&keywords=cb+antennas
Steve
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:43:37 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »
Dan, sometimes the CB coax and/or power wires are coiled up behind the driver's left switch console.  As I recall (almost 9 years ago), I popped upholstery button caps off the side of it and removed the upholstered side panel to get access inside the console.  If prewired, and a CB antenna is on your roof as well as the radio antenna, then usually and logically the cable comes down the driver's post between windshield and left window.  It should be coiled up somewhere under the left dash or in that left console area.

I don't remember the power wires' configuration, but they should be identifiable by the printing on the wires, or if bundled as "auxilliary" bat, ground, and ign, Steve may be right as to the blue crimped ones.  If for some reason that isn't correct, I'll crawl under the dash and ID the wires I used.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:51:52 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dan Murphy

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 10:07:12 PM »
Dan, sometimes the CB coax and/or power wires are coiled up behind the driver's left switch console.  As I recall (almost 9 years ago), I popped upholstery button caps off the side of it and removed the upholstered side panel to get access inside the console.  If prewired, and a CB antenna is on your roof as well as the radio antenna, then usually and logically the cable comes down the driver's post between windshield and left window.  It should be coiled up somewhere under the left dash or in that left console area.

I don't remember the power wires' configuration, but they should be identifiable by the printing on the wires, or if bundled as "auxilliary" bat, ground, and ign, Steve may be right as to the blue crimped ones.  If for some reason that isn't correct, I'll crawl under the dash and ID the wires I used.

Joel

I found the CB coax and there are a couple unused wires in a big bundle with spade connectors. I really can't get in there because of the pilots chair. Can I remove the bolts in the floor and move the chair and will it go back in easily when Im done??

Also how does on go about bringing these wires out of this console to attach a CB??

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 11:52:38 PM »
Your coach must be built different than mine, Dan.  Removing the upholstered panel wouldn't require uninstalling the driver's seat for me, but I don't know why you couldn't move yours.  I actually have two panels, but would only need to remove the forward large one.  Others with experience with seats would have to chime in here, but I assume some seat control wiring connectors would have to be unfastened, and probably 4 floor bolts.

Most of the wires/connectors in your pix look like radio and camera leads. You'll find many unused leads in your coach that, like in modern automobiles, are just prewires for options not installed at the factory.  The black box is your keyless entry controller    http://www.magnadyne.com/catalog/part.cfm?PID=612279&CID=25943

The coax and wires, likely actually originating from the top and bottom front firewall/sidewall corner under the dash, should just be strung to wherever you mount the CB.  I would think you could reach through the top dash port to aid maneuvering.  I put my old fashioned unit (not a mike and receiver in one) in a bracket on the underside rim of the dash to the left of the driver's knee, but units that are control and mike in one would be easier to mount.  My older Cobra style took some engineering.  It was no piece of cake, but I just moved the seat to its furthest back position and hung on my back over it or in front of it to work under there;  same when I had to do emergency surgery on my drivers side defrost hose one dark and stormy day.

I also don't know why you can't just get a cigarette lighter plug, if the CB doesn't already have it as an included option, run the wires over the steering post, and plug the thing into the lighter outlet you probably have on the center console by your right foot.

-Joel
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:38:16 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:27:29 AM »
Joel
I don't need to move the seat to access the panel but it is very hard to find anything in there because the seat is really in the way. I don't really want to move the seat so I will try to re-route the coax antenna wire to where I might need it. I did find the coax but i suppose any ignition hot wire will do for the CB install.If I did move the seat the job would be much easier!

I use both cigarette lighter outlets now for GPS and TPMS so I need to hardwire something to make room.I might try to hardwire the TPMS because of its position to my left.I think I will try to find a handheld CB that I can mount on a clip by my right knee.If I can get that coax antenna wire over there.If I can find one that will plug in that would work.

I know one thing for sure----opening up that dash panel on top the steering wheel is a real surprise. It would seem that things could have been done in that space a little neater. My DW says Im a little OCD and I am beginning to believe her. I just want to get in there and straighten up all that rats nest.

Thanks for your help!
Dan   

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:48:16 AM »
Dan, you reposted before I modified mine... I added an ID to the PL21 box.

I hear you re. the d@#*! seat, and I was tempted a time or two, but hasseling with it wasn't anymore enthusing an idea than just working around it.  With the slide out and the seat back fully tilted, and it all the way down, lying backward and upside down worked, at least until the blood pooled in my brain  :o  .

You know you can get multiple outlet adapters for the lighter outlet, as long as you don't overload the circuit using everything at once;  but I doubt the modern electronics in question add up to one "analog" cigarette lighter itself.

Forget the rats nest;  it's hopeless.  I take it you haven't looked up behind the A/V components in the front cap overhead yet.  What I've done, or tried to remember to do, is once I actually identify a wire under the dash port or from underneath the dash, I attach a white tape tag to it in an obvious position, IDing it with a fine-tipped Sharpie marker.  Ditto at home.  You can actually get Dymo-like devices at Home Centers just for that purpose - wire ID tags. 

Joel
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:55:56 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat