Author Topic: 2006 CAT C9 400HP Oil Pressure  (Read 8328 times)

Russ Mann

2006 CAT C9 400HP Oil Pressure
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »
Interesting issue concerning oil pressure on my 2006 Monterey with the CAT C9 400HP engine. Had the coach in the shop (Cashman Equipment, Sparks, Nevada) for a valve adjustment. After the adjustment they checked the codes with their computer and it said it had 172 issues of "Low Oil Pressure" within the last 368 hours. There was no check engine light and no codes when queried through the smart wheel. Supposedly the check engine light will come on after an oil pressure reading below 18 PSI. My unit runs between 35 psi and 45 psi when driving and as low has 24 when brought to idle after driving.

The service manager did come checking and found a Truck News Bulletin (similar to Tech Bulletin) that CAT had oil pump failures on the C9 and in 2009 they released a new oil pump design. Typical design engineers, not only Roadmaster, they placed a bracket in such a manner that you cannot just drop the oil pan. After an hour (2 techs working on it) they had to drop the oil pump pickup and the oil pump (into the pan) so that they could slide the pan to the side and finally remove it. Not easy when working through a gap of about 5" between the top of the pan and the bottom of the block.

We then inspected  the pump and sure enough, there was definite wear on the piston and the pump housing. The design has a polished steel piston in an aluminum casting. Who the heck uses two moving parts with such a difference in hardness, gee, ya think the aluminum will wear, duh!

The main point here is that these pumps will eventually fail and you probably won't see it until it is catastrophic. Next time you're in for service have the computer check done to see if you can catch this before it completely fails. The new pump is $380.00 and it looks like 4-5 hours at $145.00 an hour.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Rick and Laura Stephens, Bryan Beamon

Brian Korkus

• BAC Member
Re: 2006 CAT C9 400HP Oil Pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:47:02 PM »
I started seeing sporadic readings on my Aladdin oil pressure(C9); low of 0 High of 85 psi.  The  dash gauge read normal.  I received a red Check Engine light and then my coach started to reduce speed until the pressure jumped back up into the mid teens.

I had to have the oil pressure sensor replaced.  All is normal again.
2006 Monterey Laguna IV. C-9 400hp
2009 Entegra Coach Alante 5th wheel

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 04:09:23 PM »
Gentleman, I have posted several times suggestion on the maintenance of problems with your
engine. Let’s run this by everyone again, the first step in the health of your engine starts with
taking oil samples at every engine oil change. Your engine is like a human body it has a DNA
and once the first oil sample is taken a particle count is set. Next time oil sample at service oil
change some component having wear such as the oil pump the oil sample will pick up on that
Problem and particle count will increase and will be shown on oil sample report. What all this tells
us you can pin point of excess wear or start of components failure at little cost. Yes I have had
people question the cost of oil sample $ 16.00. To $ 30.00 is not nessary and to costly. My answer
being involved with several engine failures Cost range $ 30,000. To $ 50,000. The oil sample cost is nothing compare to the end results and is your first line to keep your engine health good. Got
off track but back to the oil pump up grade before you start removing oil pan and replacement,
weight the cost of a oil sample that will indicate excess wear. If you have any questions about
update on components give me your engine S/N number and I can provide you this information
Off my Caterpillar SIS technical program. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:04:19 PM »
Russ, thank for your information I looked up on my Caterpillar SIS technical information and
following. The oil pump on your engine is a gear type of pump ( not a piston pump ) the service
bulletin indicated the oil pump relief valve has upgrade which allows engine oil bypass sticky, This is
not a oil pump failure as to where replacement is required. As I indicated on my above post the
value of oil sampling would pick up on this problem. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic