Author Topic: 2004 Thunder Coolant Reservoir  (Read 13896 times)

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
2004 Thunder Coolant Reservoir
« on: July 15, 2015, 03:10:20 AM »
All,

Have read the technical comments on replacing the surge tank (reservoir) with a metal one made by Ford.

My coach does not have a surge tank, but only a large square plastic reservoir with an overflow line
 to the ground. The bottom of this reservoir dumps directing into the side of the engine via a 2 to 2 1/2 inch hose.

I have also reviewed the comments about removing the two 3/8" lines to the additive filter housing which is no longer required.

How can I determine if these are still in the coach and should the plastic reservoir be replaced with a metal one?  I will need to find a way to monitor coolant levels if I install a metal reservoir.

Thanks in advance.
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: 2004 Thunder Coolant Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 05:18:15 AM »
Michael,
From Gerald Farris' comment on removing the SCA filter coolant hoses:
"There will be two cut-off valves (looks like water a faucet handle), one for each hose. These valves will cut off the coolant flow to the filter to change the filter, however they should not be used to disable the filter when it is no longer needed with ELC (extended life coolant). The reason that you should not just cut off the valves is that the hoses will no longer flow coolant and fail even faster than before. These two hoses are the most common cooling system failure on a C12. So you should disconnect them and plug them at the engine, or reroute them to a less hostile environment and use high temperature hoses with a filter that does not contain an SCA (supplemental coolant additive)

Gerald"

If I remember correctly, one of the hoses terminates at the intake manifold and other at the block. Both on left side of engine as you are looking at it from rear of coach.. No need to remove hoses. Just cut them and seal ports into intake manifold and block.

Changing your pressure cap from stock 13 PSI to a 7 PSI will greatly extend life of plastic tank. C12s don't run too hot so reduced pressure cap won't be a problem. As to checking fluid level, consider adding a recovery tank. See pic. I got mine at Auto Zone for <$20. You should be able to run the existing overflow hose to the recovery tank and then add a hose for an overflow from the new tank. As long as you can see fluid in the recovery tank you know the surge tank is full.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »
Michael,
The plastic Ford coolant surge tanks that are so bad about cracking was used on earlier model coaches than yours. So the only modification that you need to do is removing the coolant filter from the cooling system, but only if you are running Cat ELC coolant.

Gerald

PS; I went to the library here in Nova Scotia today, so I was able to catch-up on some computer time. Canada is beautiful.   

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 02:32:35 AM »
Hi Steve and Gerald,

I was able to locate the two water type valves and the old filter housing which require removal.  And, I plan to get them removed ASAP.  Not sure if this is within my capability or if I will need to hire it out.  I thought I read somewhere about the plug sizes, etc. required to plug the engine connections.  Concerning the large plastic reservoir which currently has a reduced pressure relief cap, I will probably keep it now.

I want to thank you both for your comments and your expertise on these coaches.  We are all really fortunate to have you share your knowledge, time and experience with us.

Best to you both!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 10:01:55 PM »
Hello I have the not so clear plastic tank and can't see the level so what I did was drill two holes and tapped a 1/8 NPT thread in the side of the tank ( its thick enough ) and installed a 90 degree elbow at the low mark and one at the high mark and add an piece of clear plastic tubing between the two elbows works like a charm. If i knew how to post a picture I would but I don't
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:05:18 PM by Michael Marcocchio »

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
Hello I have the not so clear plastic tank and can't see the level so what I did was drill two holes and tapped a 1/8 NPT thread in the side of the tank ( its thick enough ) and installed a 90 degree elbow at the low mark and one at the high mark and add an piece of clear plastic tubing between the two elbows works like a charm.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 02:26:54 AM »
Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 04:08:14 AM »
I wonder if you could tap in a sight glass in the Ford type tank from the SMC era or into this style tank on the post at the min or mid level. Maybe one viewport like these prism acrylic threaded viewport.....ideas or opinions?

http://www.gis-store.net/1-4-NPT-3-D-BullsEye-Oil-Level-Viewport-3DB0250.htm

Later Ed

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 04:40:28 PM »
Hello that sight glass would work as well I had looked and looked and never found that type which I would have perferred so I came up with my own idea. The plastic tank is thick enough to drill and tap a 1/4 NPT thread.Just be carefull not to tap to deep into plastic tank.

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 06:35:46 PM »
Michael,

Your idea worked very well. When you couldn't find what you wanted, you had the creative spirit kick in and make something...good for you :-) There certainly is a need given how hard it is to figure out the level in these tanks. If I get to this I will probably try and find an old similar tank to try this on first to see how many threads I can get and how thick the tank actually is. I use the finger dip with the tank cover off now, works O.K. for our shallow tanks.

Later Ed

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
Hello I am trying something else I installed a pusher 2700 CFM  electric fan in the door to my engine comparment to help push the heat out of the engine bay on long hard pulls ( not that I am having overheating problems which I am not ) just to keep everything cooler. I control it with a 200 Degree(on) 190 degree (off) water temp sender. I got the idea from a Marquis which had the same fan in the door only fan was hyd.I think it will help with keeping the bedroom cooler as well. I let you know how it works after I do a little travelling with it installed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:43:44 PM by Michael Marcocchio »

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 04:19:51 AM »
Michael,

The Marquis door fan is electric also.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 05:56:35 AM »
Michael,
Heat in bedroom seems to build up once I've stopped for night. Would seem that greatest benefit from fan would be to evacuate heat from engine compartment after stopping. I'd think that the benefit while driving is minimal. Assuming that, would seem that hooking fan to a timer that would run for an hour or 2 after engine shutdown might be more effective in cooling rear of coach interior. Just a thought.
Steve
Steve
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »
Hello I agree about the bedroom heat but I was thinking more about getting the hot air out of the engine area faster with the aid of the fan on long hard hill climbs. Also the fan on the marquis I saw was hyd had hyd lines running to the fan.I just like to tinker thought it would be a good idea anything to keep me running cooler.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:20:28 PM by Michael Marcocchio »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »
Let us know how effective it is.
Thx Steve
Steve