Author Topic: drop down TV from ceiling  (Read 9928 times)

Jim and Carol Contratto

drop down TV from ceiling
« on: June 18, 2010, 03:46:01 AM »
Hi All BAC members:

We have a 2006 Thunder with a drop down TV from the ceiling.   Does not want to go back up to the ceiling.   Checked everything out, called Lazy Days  and spoke with  tech. Played with the locking knob, un plugged it and plugged it back in.  Tried to put it back up at all the multi-plexes , 3 different ones.    I guess we can be thankful it is down and will not go back up and does not hurt anything to travel with it down.    Just have to watch so you do not knock yourself out!!!!!

Any ideas.

Thanks

Jim Contratto
2006 Patriot Thunder

Joe Van Loan

Re: drop down TV from ceiling
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
This font is very small and it doesn't get any larger when I pick a larger font.  So, here goes a tiny message.

I had the same thing happen to mine.  A momentary power outage rendered the TV lift non-functioning.  First, remove the center speaker cover above the TV and find the control box for the lift.  IF the TV works ok, you know you have power to the lift controller.  If it does't, check breakers. etc to locate the cause.  Since you didn't mention it, I assume the TV works ok.  The controller has three connections that come from the multiplex system.  Try disconnecting the three leads, keeping track of which goes to each terminal.  The center is a common and one side is the up terminal and the other is the down terminal.  With a jumper, screwdriver or paper clip, jumper between the center screw and one side, and then the other.  If the TV lift operates, you have a multiplex problem.  You should hear a relay click when making contact.  If that doesn't work, you may have a bad controller.  Also be advised, there is a manual "crank" that lets you raise or lower the lift by hand.  It has a clutch that is engaged by pulling the shaft out.  Note, with the shaft out and the clutch engaged, the electric lift is disabled, so make sure you have the manual shaft pushed in fully.  It should turn freely and nothing should happen when it is disabled.

I purchased a new controler from the Lift Manufacturer, located near Bellingham, WA for about $250.  Let me know if you can't find them and I will try to locate them.  Unfortunately, my coach is halfway accross the country right now, so I don't have access to a lot of the information.

Joe Van Loan
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:54:43 PM by 14 »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:02 PM »
Hello Joe,

I also have had problems with our front TV ( 06 thunder) but the mechanical screw has been the problem, when I discussed this with the manufacture they indicated that we should have a clip that prevents the screw from movement forward. I have not been able to locate the clip yet but I now make sure that the screw is pulled fully back.
I have found this has helped but I also worry about the unit.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jim and Carol Contratto

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 01:15:42 AM »
Joe:

I am assuming that the clutch you are talking about is in the upper left hand corner of the TV enclosure.   It looks like a big eye bolt with a pin in it. I assume you have to pull the pin out to disengage it.  Once you manually put the TV up, you cannot get to clutch, so  does it lock in place ????  if so how do you manually  get it  back down ??? do you just pull it down   ??  what holds it up there????

Jim Contratto

Joe Van Loan

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 02:03:34 PM »
Yes, that is the clutch.  I don't remember a pin in it, but I do remember a plastic clip over the shaft. Jerry Carr referred to it in his post. You remove the clip and push the "eye bolt" and shaft to engage it.  When pushed in the manual mode is engaged.  When pulled ouit, the electric mode is engaged.  It has been awhile,so I may have that backwards.  Obviously, when the TV lift moves when cranked, it is engaged in the manual  mode. I had to remove the trim pieces to use it when the TV was up.  You's need something like an awning crank to operate it easily.

Have you had a chance to try jumperig the controller to see if the problem is in the multiplex system or the lift controller?  Let us know how it works out for you.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:43:14 PM by 22 »

Lorne Brown

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »
[size=18]I have same coach, 06 Patriot T. The TV lift in mine is inconsistent. It has never not returned to the raised position, but lowering the TV is a 50/50 issue. I have had it checked, Tech tells me it is a limit switch issue, but even after adjustments it remains erratic. It won't lower, sometimes for numerous attempts, then for no reason (w/o moving the coach or doing anything else), it will work fine. I wonder, is there a potential hazard issue with travelling while the TV is in a mostly up, but not fully raised, position? :-/

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 09:09:59 PM »
Limit switches are prone to getting dirty and bending and causing problems.  Our experience is with antennas not TV's. Cleaning and adjusting with a butter knife or other item seems to work but they do have to be accessible.

Joe Van Loan

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 04:08:34 AM »
I have instructions and troublshooting information from Lift It in pdf format, but I don't kow how to post them here.  Perhaps they can be emailed if I had your address.

Joe Van Loan

Lorne Brown

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
Joe, Thanks for the info. I will follow-up w/results.

Jim and Carol Contratto

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:55:01 AM »
Hi Joe:

my email address is:  jccontratto@earthlink.net.   I have not had a chance to work with this,  but if you email those troubleshooting , etc. would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

Jim Contratto

Randy Perry

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 06:54:23 AM »
I had our original 19" front TV "Drop Down" on me on a 1,300 mile trip home from Texas last year. On our second day of the trip home, we got (2) rear flats, less than 100 miles apart, which put us more than (4) hours behind schedule. Then, with just 30 miles to go, in the dark, my wife Dawn hears a noise, gets up to check it out, and as she's getting up, our front TV decides to depart from it's purch and hit me square on the head before crashing to the floor :-/ If it wasn't for the loooonnnngggg day driving home, I might have pulled over, but I'd had enough and shook it off and got home! I replaced the Old TV with a much lighter flat screen that hopefully won't "Drop Down" on me in the future ;)  

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 03:26:51 PM »
Wow Randy, what a trip home! Glad you made it safely home and got the problems resolved.  :)
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine